440V: Prone to chipping?

In a previous thread about the Military, I stated in an offhand manner that 440V may be prone to chipping. Someone took issue with that comment, so I thought it might be appropriate to start another thread on it. I know this topic has been discussed frequently in the past, but I'd like to figure out once and for all what is going on with this steel.

I'll state first of all that I personally have no experience with 440V chipping. I believe that my Military is of the newer variety with the lower RC, and I have experienced no problems with it. I like 440V and will continue to buy it, but I'd like to get a straight answer on it's toughness.

The May 2000 issue of "Tactical Knives" magazine does a review on the Starmate and plainly states that 440V chips easily. They show a picture of a chip in the Starmate's edge with the caption, "The 440V edge easily chipped when flexed against a brass rod- a byproduct of the extremely abrasion resistant, but low toughness qualities of that steel."

The article goes on to state, "At normal folding knife-edge thickness, a 440V-edge bevel will often chip if it comes in contact with a staple, bone or other hard object while cutting." It should be noted that the Rockwell "C" of this knife was 59-61, which may have been too hard. However, I think we've heard something about 440V and staples before.
wink.gif

Anyway, it seems apparent that 440V is prone to chipping, at least at a high RC. I don't believe that the edge is rolling in these cases; I believe that chunks of steel are being knocked off the blade. Keep in mind that 440V has way more carbon in it than most high-carbon, non-stainless steels.

Please give your thoughts. It's frustrating that we can't come to a consensus on this issue. (By the way, here's a thread on this topic from a couple months ago... www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/001700.html )

440V is not as tough as some of the other high end steels. However your 440V may be tougher than my ATS34 simply because it has a lower rockwell hardness. 440V and ATS34 at equal hardness 440V will be more brittle; which is why Spyderco lowered the hardness of the 440V blades. M2 is a tough steel compared to ATS34. The toolbits on the lathes I used were M2. However, it chipped easily because it was so hard.

------------------
Johnny
<FONT COLOR=#ff0000>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>x</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>[</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>]</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff0000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff8000>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ffff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ff00>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#00ffff>=</FONT><FONT COLOR=#ff00ff>></FONT>

TK probably took the Rc numbers from last year's Spyderco Catalog. I asked Sal about the Rc of the Starmate after my staple incident with the BF Native, and he set me straight. Gave the same numbers Vince just did.

------------------
iktomi

yeah they might have the RC numbers wrong in the magazine but what about the chipping?I want a Starmate.I even have a connection to get one at a really great price but I am a little concerned about the steel chipping out.I would use it to cut up lots of cardboard and I am nervous about staples.Can someone give me the lowdown on the chipping issue?thanks,
troy

------------------
"stupid is as stupid does"
Gump's momma

I started writing the Starmate article just after Blade Show 1999. Since I lack a diamond-tipped tester, I used the catalog in question for RC #'s.
Sorry for the error.

440V seems to cut aggressively for a long time. In my experience, at RC 56-57 it is somewhat less tough than ATS-34 at 59-61.

The Starmate has alot to offer: It is built flawlessly, is nicely finished and well ground, and has the Spyderco "voodoo"-items like keywayed pivot and radiused lock face.

It's the little details that the Starmate (and the Military) posess that separate it from the rest of the liner-lock pack.

My .02..

PS-I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding my articles.

Anthony Lombardo

------------------
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
"The most effective armor is to keep out of range"-Italian proverb

Back