498 I got......

jbmonkey

Everybody relax. I'm here.
Platinum Member
never owned one before. have kabars and other similar knives. so never saw a need to add one. saw a cheaper price from a dealer and decided time to try one.

its rough fit and finish but works great as a cutter right out of the bag once I got that edge coating removed and sharpened up......already started playing with it. reason it looks beat up already a bit....1600549858426861467115361245221.jpg

16005496639797611305062816952016.jpg

1600549974207539433371692992008.jpg

Oh that looks Knice! I'd of gone whole hog getting knice knives like that, but living in an "EVIL DAGGER" state, it keeps me from getting several knice knives I can't justify getting as I can't take them out of my place of residence. My 499 is regulated to opening kitchen packages, but it works great at it! One former sharpen swedge OKC use to do was the SP-5, now with it not having the sharpened swedge, its a nice light weight general purpose camp knife! A few times I had a few "Commando Coppers" try to steal my "EVIL DAGGER!" till they saw didn't have a sharpened swedge and never had one. One tried to press stealing on "Principle", but his boss came around and stop breaking regulations.

Oh that looks Knice! I'd of gone whole hog getting knice knives like that, but living in an "EVIL DAGGER" state, it keeps me from getting several knice knives I can't justify getting as I can't take them out of my place of residence. My 499 is regulated to opening kitchen packages, but it works great at it! One former sharpen swedge OKC use to do was the SP-5, now with it not having the sharpened swedge, its a nice light weight general purpose camp knife! A few times I had a few "Commando Coppers" try to steal my "EVIL DAGGER!" till they saw didn't have a sharpened swedge and never had one. One tried to press stealing on "Principle", but his boss came around and stop breaking regulations.
thank you..

I dont have that issue where I am. i can carry this one to the store or anywhere on my belt. besides federal buildings and courthouses, schools etc...govt owned properties...and id never do that anyways.

where are you with such strong rules and sounds overzealous local police...?

Its mostly the patchwork of local jurisdictions willingly being in ignorance of the laws and law changes. So they can write more tickets or fill quotas and such. Some areas are common sense laws that the state seemed to switch to. Others are Liberalana local ordinances that break state law or haven't been modified to conform to it. The one who stopped my knife from being stolen knew the state laws and such. Hence no swedge making it an evil dagger out of the property or residence or not secured in some thing or car it was legal. I don't know the full legalese of the changes, but I keep mine legal. That's why I'll begetting a Chimera with no sharpened swedge I can walk about with on public lands. No sharpened swedge, I can work with that. If it comes to it, one of my swedged knvies or bayonets will get dulling. I'll ask in the main room to ask if a file or a stone would be better to do it.

When the local cops would ticket every tourist in town for every minor infraction. It gave the town such a bad rep the number of tourists that go in to town isn't as high as it should be. As we got a lot of tourist draws in the local area we should be getting but the town still has a reputation of being a "high ticket town" even though they stopped doing it a few years ago.

Some hated OKC not sharpening some swedges on their knives. But I like that choice so I can get more of their stuff! Well if I can find it. I mean try finding a TFI now a days! I know it has no swedge but I just missed out on a no swedge Chimera I held off a few hours from getting. Oh well it was the straight Edge D2 Ka-bar or Chimera. I gave away yet another Ranger D6 to yet another little brother, so he would have at least one knife that would be there if he needed one very badly. I saw him look at the swedge, and told him "Don't sharpen it! It would be an illegal "Dagger" then." Yes he's the type that would of, but I pointed out the strength of the non sharpened swedge and how its more useful with out one. I still find the RD6, besides a Strongarm or two, is the best give away knife I can for a true all round bomb proof knife I can give to relatives and loved ones. It can bushy craft to slice and dice and hacky slash and chop and lop some what. What a good all round knife should be able to do.

Oh In the Minn.

I dont care for a sharpened clip point. think we are talking about the same thing?.... if it's there, I'm okay with it, but isn't my first choice. I'm not gonna do any knife fighting and it just gets in the way of other uses somewhat.

I got no issues where I am like that, and I'm glad.

I just ordered a 498 Marine Combat Knife Modified that has no fuller (Aka a "BLOOD GROOVE!" to anti knife freaks), this will be a great general use beater utility knife I can carry in the wilderhood or loan out with out worry as its legal to carry in an "EVIL DAGGER STATE!" out side the home.

I think the laws are silly, but as far as I know, most states are "evil dagger states", unless good folks like Doug Ritter have managed to turn enough around on that.

How about this knife? My knife is on the way now and will be home soon.
it's great user for the money. I've put it through the paces and has held up very well. fit and finish and such on prettiness aint great, but you'll like it. its rough setup visually not on tightness and function out of the bag, but as a user won't matter.

it's great user for the money. I've put it through the paces and has held up very well. fit and finish and such on prettiness aint great, but you'll like it. its rough setup visually not on tightness and function out of the bag, but as a user won't matter.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to this 498 coming home early.

I think I might be loosing my 498M. Its a good knife...but the nephew seems to like it, the leather handle...I might beable to pawn the Kabar 1211 on it. The mini one I gave him...he grew like a dang bean stalk and is taller than me now! Guess time for a new knife for him. I'll give him an RD6 as well, if it fits his hand that is or maybe a Cerberus if it don't. Its his first shoot to kill deer season. Its got to be memorable, if his sisters come....my "stock pile" is going to go down a lot...which means my spare Cerberuses will go bye bye...I'm a sucker around them. I don't need kids, that's what nephews and nieces are for!

498s Sold out at at my usual store. Was gonna grab one. Might get a Bowie before they are gone.

Last edited:
Back