49ers display box help ?????????????????????????

holo07

Gold Member
Platinum Member
hi guys i picked this up at a motorcycle swap meet. just wondering what it is and what its worth. I am not a schrade guy i picked it up to hopefully make some cash.

Picture-1.jpg

Last edited:
G'day, The whole display is the Schrade "Easy Vendor" and was a retail sales tool for shopkeepers,hence the easy access at the back to display whichever knives in the 'Benchmade 49er Series' they wanted to sell.
There were 8 knives in the series 4 X leather handle and 4X staglon handle designated 491,497,498 and 499 with either an L or S dependant on the handle material.
Your set Holo is post 1973 with just 'Schrade' in lieu of Schrade Walden on the 'Easy Vendor'..they were produced for 7 years 1973-1979. Some knives in the series are less common than others which also determines value. I can see by the blade shapes you are missing the 491L & 491S in the series. I wish I could see exactly which knives you have as the other blades are less distinctive. The 491 and 499 are the most scarce as they were only produced from 1973 to 1976 <3 years> then followed by the 497 <4 years 73-77> with the most common the 498 which had the full 7 year 73-79 production run..<was the most popular blade shape but there's plenty still available>. If your set contains the 499 in both Staglon and Leather it will be worth more than if you have multiple say 498's in there.
Notwithstanding all that it is a really desirable attractive display Schrade item which a collector can display whichever knives they wish in the series.
Ebay is your way to go to establish current market worth. If your aim is simply to maximise return on your investment without considering their collector value 'per se' then IMO sell each knife individually and put the sheath with the rarest knife you have in leather handle..<the leather handles were originally dearer than the staglon>....the case will bring a premium and you will have no problem selling each knife as collectors upgrade or complete their series...
Values?..if you were to sell the whole 'Easy Vendor' as it exists as a collector in the current market I personally would pay no more than say $190-$225. however individually the knives can go for say $75-$85 plus if in mint condition,the one you sell with the sheath <mint> possibly $95+ and you still have the case which could bring $40-$50 on a good Ebay day....if you tote up the sums it makes it easy to decide which way to maximise your investment.....as a Collector I hate to see complete displays sold individually however you dont have a lot of sentimentality in that item possibly similar to the vendor who sold it to you at the Bike Swap Meet...
Good luck..its a great Schrade Display Set..keep it and hang it on your wall as a reminder of Schrade in its 'Glory Days'.of Benchmade knives by craftsman/woman....Hoo Roo

P.S. Values achieved on Ebay at the moment can be very fickle to predict with desirability by at least two bidders being the catalyst for a reasonable result....my guesstimations are purely my own opinion based on following these knives in the past years however some Schrades were achieving better results say 2 years ago than now..the only way to find out is to "suck it and see"..........

Last edited:
I believe that Larry's advice is the best that could be given. It appears to me that your knives are all 497s and 498s, but it I can't tell for sure from the pic. Great pictures, btw, may be the key to getting a good price.

Back