4th Knife - Wharncliffe Desk Knife

Here are some photos of a Wharncliffe desk knife I just finished up, it is the fourth knife I've completed. I started the knife a couple months back under the tutelage of J. Neilson and finally had time to finish out the handle and final edge. It was inspired by desk knife designs by Case/Bose that I've always loved. I first sketched it up on paper then refined some of the curves in CAD.

The 3 1/2" blade was ground by eye from 1095 steel with an overall length of 6 1/4". The handle material is old Westinghouse micarta boslters and stabilized bog oak.

All comments and feedback greatly appreciated :). Thanks for looking!

Cheers,
David

TUyjk1Y.jpg

FxmTV4B.jpg

sBkqhXp.jpg

WtxcNoH.jpg

a0W9cF5.jpg

suiggid.jpg

ZJfOGjT.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Maelstrom78 and Hengelo_77! As a maker, I see all the flaws, but I'm happy with the result :). I'm glacially slow at this, but apparently faster than the wait for a desk knife by T. Bose to become available :p.

Now I need to make a sheath or possibly wood block/holder of some sort for the desk!

That's a beautiful knife! I have a very similar design in my line--I love wharncliffs. Oh yeah--your showing off with your photography skills--what is that background that looks like burled wood--and ice??
Very cool pics!!!

Thank you very much, I have a new found love for wharnies for simple household tasks.

This is not your DSLR in a lightbox photo session :rolleyes:. Shot with Google Pixel phone, no filters or editing - only cropped. I threw a chunk of burl in the melting slushy snow in the backyard and used a little copper sample I had sitting around as a prop for the blade. I was feeling inspired and I think it came out pretty good for an impromptu 2 minute shoot, it took longer for the knees of my pants to dry :).

Nice, simple design. I also like wharnke like blades. Gotta ask what a "desk knife" is though.

Glorified letter opener. Simply a knife to leave sitting around your desk, rather than one to be pocketed, packed, or carried. A small blade designed mostly for opening letters and the occasional light snack prep :).

Back