4V Pass Around Knife - Update

Big Chris

SAHD/Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have expressed some interest to some about the possibility about doing a passaround with a 4V knife. It will be a newer patterned knife that I have only made a few of.
The knife also has a bit of a Bushcraft flair to it.
Here is the completed knife in question:

IMG_2497.jpg

IMG_2498.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

Specs:
.152" CPM 4V
8.7" OAL
4.15" Blade
Heat Treat by Me to a 63 Rc
High Flat Grind
G10 Scales Highly Sculpted and Contoured
This Handle is Extremely Comfortable
Kryptek Mandrake Camo Kydex Sheath

I will be carrying and using this knife for a couple weeks while I figure out the details of the passaround.
I am using this thread to gauge interest. The actual passaround sign up will be carried out in the Pass Around sub forum. Updates, reviews, thoughts, and progress can be posted in a thread here that Mrs. Big Chris can sticky for us.

If you have any thoughts about the knife or interest in the passaround please feel free to post here.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to the reports! I've been curious about 4V but have seen little in the way of substantive reviews.

I'm looking forward to the reports! I've been curious about 4V but have seen little in the way of substantive reviews.

I have been using 4V for close to a year now and it is a great performer. Good toughness, great edge holding, and a very aggressive cutting nature similar to that of S90V.
It does patina very quickly and if left unattended it can stain and micro pit, but that is really the only negative I have with the steel. This is also easily prevented with minimal care and use. I think those that have not used 4V will be very pleased and impressed with the performance.

If you end up doing a pass around, I'll join in on the action.

I also read the other post about the new family member. Congratulations to the Berry Family!

I have been curious about that steel and your work for awhile now. I haven't participated in a pass-around in several years but would be interested in participating if you set one up.

Thanks.

Thanks alfred.

trestle, I would be glad to have your participation.

I am currently working on a dangler belt carry system that will accompany the knife.
I really like kydex due to the retention and that it is not easily cut by a sharp knife. What I do not like is the lack of carry options for larger fellas like me.
I have made a few prototypes previously and am rolling what I have learned from them into this one. I think that the dangler setup is going to be the key on this one working out and making it for the long haul.

How much 4v stock do you have and are you considering making other models out of it?

Last edited:
How much 4v stock do you have and are you considering making other models out of it?

I currently do not have any more 4V bar stock. I cut out blades and heat treated what I had left. I do have a couple blanks that are heat treated that I could handle.

I am also not currently taking any custom orders for new knives. Need to get things cleaned out and straightened up in preparation for the new baby. Not to mention I need to catch up on and finish current customs that are back logged.

I have been using 4V for close to a year now and it is a great performer. Good toughness, great edge holding, and a very aggressive cutting nature similar to that of S90V.
It does patina very quickly and if left unattended it can stain and micro pit, but that is really the only negative I have with the steel. This is also easily prevented with minimal care and use. I think those that have not used 4V will be very pleased and impressed with the performance.

Sounds very promising. I'm going to have to try it out, great edge holding combined with good toughness sounds like a winning combination. Minimal care is a small price to pay (and really normal operating procedure anyway).

4V vs 10V ? I'm not so much familiar with 4V as I am with 10V, and as far as I can tell it's just a matter of lower corrosion resistance for 4V. What about cost, workability, performance, maintenance?

4V is tougher than M4 with slightly less edge holding and not as tough as 3V but improved edge holding. This comes with a hardness in the 62-63 range.
As for workability, everything I work with is easier to use than 10V, except maybe S110V.
The above knife is still in a bit of a testing phase. I have not been able to take it out and work it over yet, but I do think I have a belt loop carry system that I am finally happy with.
I am very pleased with the performance thus far. 4V is very prone to corrosion and will patina very quickly, but will also rust and pit very quickly if not cared for.

4V is very prone to corrosion and will patina very quickly, but will also rust and pit very quickly if not cared for.

I've read that before. 1095 is the most corrosion prone steel I've dealt with. That stuff will rust within 40 minutes of use if the perspiration/salt/oils from your hand aren't immediately removed after use. Is 4V that prone to corrosion?

alfred mcdougal, I don't think it is quite that bad, but once the corrosion is there the damage is done. On every one that I have let this happen to there is almost immediate pitting under the spots of corrosion. The spots will wipe off just fine but you are left with the small pits on the surface. They are not awful but they are there if you look for them. Now, if you let the blade patina it is just like a standard carbon steel with a patina.

I recently reground the knife to an almost full flat grind and thinned the edge out a bit. I do not have any current pictures yet.
The knife is on it's way to Ankerson for some testing and rope cutting.
I tested the knife to a 62-63 Rc which is right in the range I wanted it to be.
When I get the knife back I will clean it up ans sharpen it and get ready to do the passaround.
I will start a new thread here for sign ups and another for the thoughts and reviews of the knife and steel.
A rough estimation would be that I get the knife back in a couple weeks and let the sign up go for 2 weeks or till the spots are filled. So the knife could be in the first testers hands before Christmas.

If possible, I'd love to try it. I have a bunch of steel in 3V and one of yours in M4. The knife looks great either way. :thumbup:

I'd love to get in on the passaround, the ergos on the scales look really comfortable. The sheath work looks very nice as well.

Nice results for the 4V mule in the Ankerson testing thread! Congratulations!
I'd love to see what a similar M4 knife of yours would do.

Will the passaround list be on here or in the passaround forum?

Back