5-5's and combat companions

Hi, guys.

I got a quick question for you if you don't mind.

I was wondering how a person tells the difference between a model 5-5 with sawteeth (the ones with the 18 style blade) and a regular (not full tang) combat companion with saw teeth.
Both have 5" blades with the model 18 grinds. Both are of 1/4" stock and both are cdt's (hidden tangs).

I know the sheath is probably key due to the markings on back but I was just wondering if there was a more positive way to id the knife itself.

Thanks in advance!
Iz

Since no-one else will weigh in, I think the blades are identical year for year, grinder for grinder…. I think the difference is that there are #5's with the clip point with teeth and are more common than spear point like #18 or CC blades…. I'm not sure I can picture a spear point /teeth #5-5…. Shel???

I've never seen a Model #5-5 with a #18 style blade grind; I didn't know such an animal existed, being that a #5-5 can't, to the best of my knowledge, currently be ordered with saw teeth. All those I've owned were all older versions, before saw teeth were discontinued on Model #5-5's. Bear in mind that most, if not all the Model 1's, 5', smaller 12's, 16-7's, CC's, and the large NC Gambler can, and at times, use the same sheath, depending on blade length. Thus, Combat Companions do, at times, ship in sheaths stamped 5, simply because they fit...

Hope that helps

p.s. The same hold true for the smaller C sheaths (15, 15CDT, 17, 18-5.5) and the larger C sheaths too (14, 14CDT, 18-7, and so on)...

Sheldon

I "think" if you order a Model 5-5 with sawteeth, you get a Model 5, but the blade is shaped like a combat companion blade. I do know you can not get a Model 5, with "normal" a 5 inch blade with sawteeth. I tried!!!

I've had several single guard #1's Bart, and think they're one of the ugliest knives RMK makes; they just look odd to me with the spine scallop and the single guard. Not sure if the #1-5 is available with ST, but I wouldn't buy one...

Just trying to figure how to get a clip point 5" with teeth… I think having a single guard #1 is like kissing your own sister! IMHO….

I've never seen a Model #5-5 with a #18 style blade grind; I didn't know such an animal existed, being that a #5-5 can't, to the best of my knowledge, currently be ordered with saw teeth. All those I've owned were all older versions, before saw teeth were discontinued on Model #5-5's. Bear in mind that most, if not all the Model 1's, 5', smaller 12's, 16-7's, CC's, and the large NC Gambler can, and at times, use the same sheath, depending on blade length. Thus, Combat Companions do, at times, ship in sheaths stamped 5, simply because they fit...

Hope that helps

p.s. The same hold true for the smaller C sheaths (15, 15CDT, 17, 18-5.5) and the larger C sheaths too (14, 14CDT, 18-7, and so on)...
Yes, it does help Sheldon. Much obliged.
I was assuming (not smart) that later model fives were made with the 18 grind right before the cc came out. I have no idea where I got that idea from though. lol.
I'm now the proud owner of one of your old model 5/5's with saw teeth.

How about a #1-5" saw teeth, single guard?, Bart
Bart,
I'm not sure if it's a hard fast rule but at least as far as the current catalog goes, you can't get a model 1-5 with saw teeth. You can get a 1-6 but not a 1-5. I guess Randall figures if you want a 5" blade with saw teeth then you should get a cc.

Back