50 yr old Gilette adjustable safety razor hard to open.

screened porch

Basic Member
Do I oil it or wash it? Each seems to work sometimes but not always. Obviously I rinse it after each use.

You remove the blade and run hot water down the axis while twirling the handle to open and close it. Loosens right up.
It's only gunked up like this once before, and I'd forgotten the fix. I'll just remember to do the Cascade twirl when changing blades and it won't gunk up again.

I've also got the black-hardware adjustable, and with the hard water in Orange County I need to clean it every 3 months or so or soon enough I can't open it at all.

I use an electrician's contact cleaner--CRC QD, I think--that's rated safe for use on plastics. It works very well for me; it's got plenty of petroleum distillates in it, so it's not something I'd use right before a shave, but the bad stuff is well and evaporated by the time I'm done cleaning.

If you've got hard water as well, dilute muriatic acid, CLR, or similar might be worth a shot. I haven't tried vinegar either, that stuff works well on my stainless appliances for water scale. I stick with the contact cleaner because I know it works, it won't damage my razor (muriatic should still be fine for the plastic, but I don't know what metals Gillette used and wouldn't be surprised if acids started etching that over time) and it's something I always have on hand anyway.

Nano-oil or CLP break-free might also be good choices, but I rinse my razor thoroughly so I'm not sure they'd actually last that long before the water scale starts building up all the same.

Maybe mineral oil (food grade) or some sort of grease after cleaning would help. Hmmm...

Thank you for your thoughts. For some reason your post didn't show up in my alerts, so I just happened upon it.
My hot water is softened, so I don't get the mineral scale.
I don't know why I didn't think of mineral oil- it's very big over in traditionals. I've used 3-in-1 and Hoppes, whatever was nearest.
I've used vinegar recently to scrub the fossilized soap off of an estate sale razor. Baking soda is supposed to work too.

I've used a Gilette adjustable safety razor most of my adult life (~60 y). I just rinse it and wash out the hair stubble and put it back on the shelf. Never oiled anything, but it's still going strong and works very well. I did buy a spare at a yard sale many years ago; cleaned it, rinsed with alcohol (to sterilize) and I think (?) oiled the works. But I've never had to use it as my first one still going strong. They don't make razors or knives today that last and work as well as they did in the 1950's. Enjoy your razor, it should last a lifetime.
Rich

This one's from 1970 or a little earlier. It seemed like the top of the line when I bought it, and it never occurred to me to not hang onto it. It's gummed up only twice, probably from lax rinsing and long idleness during flirtations with stacked edges and electrics.

Ballistol--Great for knives,DE razors and is even safe to eat! Understand it is mostly mineral oil.
Used it to lube a cranky old Gillette I bought at a yard sale for $2--the Ballistol worked great, and
now so does the razor.

Back