50BC (5UH) "Bruin" blue jigged bone lockback

I think a recent purchase may have uncovered a previously unknown model number.

Not long before the factory closed (2003 or 2004), Schrade produced a blue bone handled set of knives. The complete sets are very rare and individual knives just a little less rare. I recently purchased a fully completed 5UH-type "Bruin" lockback from this set. Some unfinished knives (with no etch or shield) also became available when the factory closed.

When I received the knife I saw it had a bar-code sticker that wasn't shown in the sellers pics. It has a model number of "50BC" on it. Due to the factory-like way the knife was packaged and the 50BC bar-code I am now pretty much convinced that my example was fully completed and shipped to a customer (SMKW?) before the factory closure and not in the liquidation sale.

Some guesses regarding the "BC" designation are "bone cobalt", "blue cobalt", "blue cut" bone etc.

What do you think guys? Does my example look factory packaged and complete to you? Do you think "50BC" is the previously unknown Schrade model number?

As received:
rGnPYyM.jpg

7MXxAkH.jpg

dKJHP7k.jpg

XTXhA6h.jpg

w6wJS74.jpg

9ic1joU.jpg

bXd3H2b.jpg

8XXujKO.jpg

32syFRu.jpg

ZlYVSZt.jpg

After a gentle Flitz polish:
ObiUVhj.jpg

FnICthu.jpg

wmQ4jrV.jpg

V9U3Kfe.jpg

With some new friends:
Z4tzwni.jpg

After the Close Down Sale, those white boxes, and books of "Last day production certificates" were flooding the market, from S.M.K.W. Taylor, eBay, and other knife sellers etc.
source

source

Last edited:
Before 2000, I mainly collected 4" knives. My first Schrade was an early 1970's 881.
...I believe the two sets of knives below were samples, from large orders that were sent back to Schrade, after the order was cancelled.

After the Close Down Sale, those white boxes, and books of "Last day production certificates" were flooding the market, from S.M.K.W. Taylor, eBay, and other knife sellers etc.

I agree about lots of stuff flooding the market after the close. I'm not so sure the boxes that flooded the market all had a official Schrade 50BC barcode sticker on them though. I have never seen that model number before anywhere and it seems appropriate to the knife. My example seems to be packed just the way Schrade packed such knives. I'm still leaning towards a pre-close sale of a completed knife, model number 50BC. It's the barcode not the box that sways me in that direction.

I think Schrade sold it to SMKW in that very box with only the barcode sticker on it. SMKW then got busy and plastered all the other stickers on it to show their customers just how amazing the knife was. Here's my little chain theory:

1. Schrade makes samples up.
2. Schrade sends samples to potential customer.
3. Potential customer cancels order.
4. Samples go back to Schrade.
5. Schrade packages up all the finished sample knives for sale in plain white boxes. They print a barcodes and affix it to said boxes.
6. Schrade sells them to SMKW.
7. SMKW puts lots of bonus stickers all over the boxes.
8. Schrade goes under.
9. Knife floats around in the ether for 17 years.
10. Knife comes to me.

Maybe, in the scenario you describe, SMKW bought the small number of finished examples after the big order fell through but before the close. I don't see your theory as being contrary to mine really.

(edited for clarity)

Last edited:
Your Barcode " 0 44..........."
Is listed as from the U.S.A.
"040 – 049 Restricted distribution (MO defined, usually for internal use)
That was a very good find ....Ken

I still believe, That knife was sold at the Close-down auction.
And I do not believe a large company like Schrade, ever sold one knife to anyone.

source

Last edited:
...And I do not believe a large company like Schrade, ever sold one knife to anyone.

I edited my previous post for clarity. I theorize that SMKW bought ALL the completely finished sample knives before the close and the unfinished knives after the close. Schrade was in the business of selling finished knives not storing them in the sample room.

In 2003 and 2004 everything that could be sold was being sold to try and keep Imperial Schrade afloat. I see no reason why these completely finished knives wouldn't have been sold to the first willing buyer they could find. It cost money to produce those samples. During this period Schrade was furiously completing every knife they could from random parts for quick sale. I don't see any reason why the finished sample knives would not have been sold. They were selling everything they possibly could.

SMKW did indeed buy tons of stuff at the liquidation auction but they also purchased many thousands of Schrade knives over the years before the close.

The barcode you posted is a generic one with no branding. Comparing it to the 50BC barcode is, I think, comparing apples with oranges. It's the Imperial Schrade name and address on the 50BC barcode that makes me think a Schrade employee stuck it on the box in Ellenville.

There is no doubt in my mind, your fully finished 50BC knife, white box and barcode, came from the Schrade factory. IMHO this is a one-off find, with that barcode.

I question your paper-work that came with that knife, as every knife I have in my collection and made around 2002-03, have white paper-work.

Your " 5. Schrade packages up all the finished sample knives for sale in plain white boxes. They print a barcodes and affix it to said boxes." - Is wrong! and all is very wrong!

I have the full Blue and also Golden Brown Display Sets, I also have most of those knives that came separate - In all 20 of my finished knives, did not come in boxes.

Most of the finished and unfinished "Special knifes" I have seen, did not come in any type of box. Some of these knives that were sold to me, came in non-Schrade packaging.

This is a knife that came to me in a white box with a Schrade Barcode and their address, and did it come from the factory in that box like that, I do not know. I also question the "Final Production Run 2004" stamp on the box.

source

Your speculation on the life and times of your knife, is unproven.

Last edited:
Great find BC! Here's my set -
GNzD9kR.jpg

BTW Stovecollector has the PH2 without etch or shield on ebay right now and the box with it is correct - it says blue jigged handles right on it. Not exactly sure how that relates to yours but it shows Schrade was selling that knife 'unfinished', so to speak. The box itself has a 1991 copyright date on it but I don't know if that necessarily makes it a 1991 knife. I kind of doubt that, actually. You can see on the packaging that the model is PH2 BB. The paperwork with it is blue, same as yours.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-U-...030647?hash=item23da94a777:g:xuQAAOSwtVde7~fo

Last edited:
Nice set jxr1197,
It is the same as my set, it looks like your flag was missing too.
Some one has found a flag to almost looks right.
This is the flag that fits in that recess in the centre.
That seller on ebay, has sold another unfinished PH2 Blue Bone knife.
source

The set came to me with that flag in place. It is a little small for the space. I have seen pictures online of this set with the same flag BUT there's always a chance I'm seeing pics of my own set from before I owned it. Who knows?

Slufstuff posted back in August 29, 2006.
"It was my understanding that Lowes was going to switch to Schrade. The Lowes Case knives had a special color blue bone that was exclusive to Lowes. I do not know if Schrade was just in the bidding process or what, but that was the story a year or so ago. Unfortunately, Lowes decided to get out of the higher end knife business altogether and got rid of the Case knife displays and all their stock of individual boxed knives. Lowes now only carries low end blister packed knives, mainly Chinese made, with a few low end Case knives and Victorinox Swiss Armies."

jxr1197, The flag in the centre of your set, is not " a little small for the space" it was never meant to be there. If you ever find two of the correct flags, please send me one... Ken.

I doubt if any of the Blue Bone knives, were sold by Schrade, before the 2004 Auction.
However, the seller mentioned above has been selling those Blue bone knives in "Blue boxes" for some months now. See his feedback for 19 May,30 April,18 June and 2 July. "All unfinished and in the Correct box with paperwork"????

He now has an ACB 8 for sale, and lists it as: An 8BB...????
"A Fine USA Made Schrade+ 8OT LTD
"New In Correct Box"... "

It is also unfinished, wrongly marked and in a white box, with a barcode.????

Last edited:
Could it be possible that the ACB box came from SMKW? I'm not entirely familiar with the various packaging created after they closed. The PH2 boxes looks like the real deal. I looked back in the catalogs and didn't spot the pattern but that doesn't rule it out. Seeing that many scarce blue bones would seem odd if I wasn't already familiar with the seller but I know he has a massive collection of mint Schrades and it doesn't surprise me that he may have dozens of examples of a rare knife.

jxr1197 you asked,
"Could it be possible that the ACB box came from SMKW?" and said "The PH2 boxes looks like the real deal." I do not question the seller or the unfinished Schrade knives!
I do question, the boxes, paperwork and stuck on stickers containing strange numbers etc.
I also strongly believe, Schrade did not sell unfinished knives before the Auction in 2004.
One can wonder, why it has taken so lone for these unfinished knives to start selling now.

I also strongly believe, Schrade did not sell unfinished knives before the Auction in 2004.
One can wonder, why it has taken so lone for these unfinished knives to start selling now.

It is possible that unfinished knives were sold right at the very end - what people call 'end of days' knives. I don't think anyone has records on what was shipped during that period but anecdotal statements would support that. I don't recall seeing the PH2 blue bones in the past *but* I don't collect fixed blades so I honestly wouldn't have noticed if they were on ebay everyday for the last 15 years. What I do remember clearly is the unfinished ACBs on ebay as far back as 2008. Prior to that I wasn't actively buying so I don't know when they first appeared. I stopped collecting for a good 6 or 7 years and when I started looking again the ACBs weren't so common but in the late 2000s there were lots of them.

Back in 2005, I found a seller on ebay, selling unfinished Schrade knives.
I bought about 10 unfinished ACB8 knives and some unfinished Bone handled Badgers.
I have keep the information from his description of the Rope cut blue knives.

"This very RARE knife was made in 2004, however they were never finished or sold.
Purchased at the Schrade knife factory’s Closing-down Sales in July 2004.

There is no indication that they had ever been produced.

It is also very rare to find a Schrade knife with a genuine bone handle, and even more rare when it has “ROPE CUT” Handles. This knife is definitely a rare find."

In 2004 Schrade finished off as many production knives as they could, and boxed them for their existing orders.
I still doubt if Schrade ever sold unfinished knives, before the Auction... Ken

Back in 2005, I found a seller on ebay, selling unfinished Schrade knives.
I bought about 10 unfinished ACB8 knives and some unfinished Bone handled Badgers.
I have keep the information from his description of the Rope cut blue knives.

Sorry to veer off topic a little here, but I have to ask about the badger. Would love to see a pic! I had no idea there was a bone handled version. Neat!

jxr1197 said:
Would love to see a pic! I had no idea there was a bone handled version. Neat!

All of these knives came from the same seller, back in 2005.
He said they all came from the Schrade Close Down Auction, in July 2004.
In 2003 Schrade used the name "Badger" for a different knife they had, made in China for the 100th Anniversary.
The 3 Badgers below, with Bone handles look good.

source

source
source
source
source
source
source
source
source

Last edited:
Back