51-OT First Year? - "Made For The Collector"

Long time creeper to these threads and collector. I'd like to start comparing models to identify some model specifics.

I have quite a number of 51-OT models. Just one is serial numbered and it also happens to be a "Made for the Collector" blade stamped model. The serial number allow for 4 digits XXXX - and this is 0244 - so a low serial number.

Does anyone have a serial numbered 51-OT that is not labeled Made for the Collector?

I'm speculating the "Made for the Collector" models were the only ones that were serial numbered and that they were the first year run. This model had a pretty limited production run [1978-1981]

I'd be happy to share picture. I just need a few hours to figure out how to post them. Frustrating....

This explains it. This knife is NOS with the original box and paperwork. I just found a sheet in the box that reads the following;

Pre Production Sample

of the 51OT [hand written] was made using more than normal handwork to determine to derive costs and production methods while tooling was being developed for production runs.

This is #0238 [hand written] of one thousand samples made. The blade etch was added before shipment. Production models will not carry this etch. As such this knife shall be considered a collectors item.

Interesting, I can't believe I missed that previously. I'm still trying to figure out pics and I'll forward [by the way on my previous post I recalled the serial number as being 244 - it was actually 238]

gaLmrAz
fycuytl
udS9INw
gaLmrAz.jpg

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is a pretty scarce knife. The model itself had a pretty small production run, but the pre-production collector models circa late '77 had a limited production of 1000, so a NOS survivor with the original box and paperwork is pretty cool. I don't mean to honk my own horn, I just can't believe I never noticed the pre-production paperwork so I'm pretty happy.

Does anyone else have the collector model? I'm actually quite surprised by the number of the regular models that do become available based on the short production run, but I've been collecting quite awhile and have not run across another of the collector models, so I'm curious.

Back