52100 KW Exclusive Manix

Honest question, why do people get so hyped over 52100? It's basically like having a manix in 1095.

I absolutely love the aesthetics of this knife but the 52100 puts me off.

Probably the edge stability and the ease of sharpening for the amount of edge retention. It is not a "super steel" but it is a good one, none the less. Also, this knife simply looks good.

Honest question, why do people get so hyped over 52100? It's basically like having a manix in 1095.

I absolutely love the aesthetics of this knife but the 52100 puts me off.

It's easy enough to sharpen to a scary sharp edge. Toothy or high polish. It holds an edge pretty well. Not the best, but still very good IMO.

That and it's an excuse to buy another of my favorite spyderco models. Lol

I just wish it wasn't coated.

I wonder how they were able integrate DLC on 52100 when coating temperature process ranges from 350-400 Degrees. which in most cases can ruin any heat treat.

Honest question, why do people get so hyped over 52100? It's basically like having a manix in 1095. I absolutely love the aesthetics of this knife but the 52100 puts me off.

52100 is only like 1095 as it regards corrosion resistance and ease of sharpening. Beyond that, 52100 has better edge retention, greater strength and toughness, and a fine grain structure which allows it to take a keener edge when heat treated properly. In my opinion, it's some pretty sweet steel if you don't mind the increased maintenance.

As for the high-vanadium super steels, a low alloy steel like 52100 provides a refreshing change of pace. I love the edge retention of my S110V Manix 2, but I also love the ease of sharpening and the fine edge that 52100 can take.

I wonder how they were able integrate DLC on 52100 when coating temperature process ranges from 350-400 Degrees. which in most cases can ruin any heat treat.

That information is not quite correct on a couple different levels. While most DLC is applied in a vacuum chamber, many of the newer processes are done at temperatures of less than 300 degrees F.

And while temperatures of 350-400 degrees F can affect some HT protocols, that range does not affect all HT protocols. Many of the good HT protocols for 52100 have a double temper at 400-450 degrees F for 2 hours each. 10-15 minutes even at 400 degrees F isn't likely to have an affect.

Mine just arrived today. I’m blown away by the Manix. It’s a lot more heavy duty than I imagined. I cannot believe how solid the lock up is. I was under the impression that it was going to feel like the axis lock. But it is way stiffer and tighter.

Part of my hesitation was that I hesitated because I assumed it would be like the axis. Which I like, but do not care for the omega springs.

Now I’m wishing I would have picked up one of these things earlier. I truly think, next to my delica’s, that it is my favorite Spyderco so far to date.

Still loving mine as well, really digging the colors. I haven't used it much so haven't sharpened it yet. But now I'm curious on this ease of sharpening and keen edge you guys speak of.

I've never owned a knife with 52100, what would you guys do? Touch it up on the Sharpmaker at 40 degrees or break out the KME and go to town? For those who have one of these and sharpened it, what is the factory angle? What would you sharpen it to?

I haven’t used my Manix yet but have been carrying my 52100 PM2 a lot lately. I ended up reprofiling to 30 degrees and use the sharpmaker for easy touch ups. It’s the easiest steel to sharpen I’ve ever worked with. I rolled a small section of the edge and it only took a few passes on the mediums to get back to hair popping again. Truly an awesome steel if you’re aware of the low corrosion resistance and don’t mind some what frequent but fast touch ups.

I've never owned a knife with 52100, what would you guys do? Touch it up on the Sharpmaker at 40 degrees or break out the KME and go to town? For those who have one of these and sharpened it, what is the factory angle? What would you sharpen it to?

30 inclusive should be no problem with 52100. You could probably go even a bit more acute with this steel w/out issue.

Really loving this Manix In 52100. I have one other knife in it but it never sees use at all. It’s a custom that I got from a friend. So I never really put it to the test.
I can say that after a few days, I am very surprised by this steel. I have opened numerous cardboard boxes, then cut them up, did some food processing,some whittling, had to cut up an electrical cord on a tv that I’m getting rid of. And after all that, it’s still crazy sharp and the edge is perfect.

I really love the ergo’s of This thing as well.

Happy with mine.

20180331_144130.jpg

20180331_144354.jpg

20180401_134355.jpg

Back