52100 Millitary

There are some of these available at Howe's Knife Shop. I got one earlier today! I know some guys have been searching. $209.

Grab them fast! This is an excellent Sprint Run! The CQI changes are the icing on the cake.

My pre-order is in the mail from KC. If this performs anything like the MT-01, this will be a truly outstanding knife.

I know, right? Did the same thing a couple of days ago when BladeHQ put them up for order. :D
I caught blade hq this morning with some in stock! Debating whether I let my pre order with new grahm ride out or cancel it.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Mine is due Monday, but as I was leaving the house I saw a package on the front porch. U-turn! It was the new Mili. I had to carry it right away and went on a 5+ mile bike ride, very hot lots of sweating. I would say it fared fairly well. It was only blemished on one side and only above the line from the handle. Basically where the blade directly contacted the liner of my pocket. No complaints, just a benchmark for anyone interested in what it can and can't handle. Certainly more than SB or HAP40 imo, but I would guess that my CRUWEAR Mili (which was in my pocket before this showed up) would have showed no spots. I might do a dark patina, thinking that will look awesome.

...I had to carry it right away and went on a 5+ mile bike ride, very hot lots of sweating. I would say it fared fairly well. It was only blemished on one side and only above the line from the handle. Basically where the blade directly contacted the liner of my pocket. No complaints, just a benchmark for anyone interested in what it can and can't handle. Certainly more than SB or HAP40 imo....

You think this steel is going to be more corrosion resistant than hap40?? I don't own any yet, but that's not what I'm hearing so far at all.

You think this steel is going to be more corrosion resistant than hap40?? I don't own any yet, but that's not what I'm hearing so far at all.
Hot day on the bike and visibly wet with sweat when I pulled it out of my pocket. This was with niece and nephew with stops and playground time so close to 3 hours in pocket in that environment. No food yet, but salty sweat. So in my experience, HAP40 took a patina right away with some food prep.

You must have some residual oil on the blade or something. HAP40 should be way more stainless than 52100. My 52100 Mule stained instantly like Super Blue does and even after a hundred apples my HAP40 has only a dull grey patina.

Hot day on the bike and visibly wet with sweat when I pulled it out of my pocket. This was with niece and nephew with stops and playground time so close to 3 hours in pocket in that environment. No food yet, but salty sweat. So in my experience, HAP40 took a patina right away with some food prep.

Ok, I'd be interested to hear what you find with more use. :thumbup:

You must have some residual oil on the blade or something. HAP40 should be way more stainless than 52100. My 52100 Mule stained instantly like Super Blue does and even after a hundred apples my HAP40 has only a dull grey patina.
Good point on the oil. I wiped my stretch down before I did food prep and didn't wipe the mili down yet.

So far I'd say HAP40 is way better in the corrosion resistance dept. Super Blue turned darker much quicker, imo. Apples and tomatoes did start a pretty decent patina on the 52100.

image_zpsmagfc9ws.jpeg

image_zps1pxt8yql.jpeg

So far I'd say HAP40 is way better in the corrosion resistance dept. Super Blue turned darker much quicker, imo. Apples and tomatoes did start a pretty decent patina on the 52100.

image_zpsmagfc9ws.jpeg

image_zps1pxt8yql.jpeg

Hey Roger, looks like you've been establishing a microbevel already. What are you using, SM? What's your impression so far on how this steel responds to sharpening?

Back