52100 Millitary

Lance, I did. Brown stones on the SM's 40 degree setting. Aggressive slicing and still hair shaving sharp. It was easy, but I do think it's fairly hard. It should be really easy to keep sharp.

Looking good! Did you thread in inserts for the screws like you did on your Cruwear Military?

Exactly, found them and went out to the press! I only have one of Casey's black clips and that is staying on the orange/DLC PM2, but I'd like a black shorty for this knife too.

Nice work! I'm happy with the stock setup, but it's good to know it's fairly easily remedied should one choose a tip-up option.

So you don't have to use any kind of adhesive? I assume you've done this on other militaries...they all holding up well? Ever have any issues?

You don't have to and I didn't do it on this one. I did put a dab of super glue on the ones on my CRUWEAR Mili, but I don't think it was necessary. I have only had the clip on and off a handful of times, but that should be pretty typical. I did the mod in late 2013. Original thread with some more info: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1123113-Tapping-into-G10-and-only-G10-for-screws

Nice mod nccole! I prefer tip up carry but the Millie tip down carry ain't so bad. I'm gonna try and hold out for a CF s90v version, but the carbon 52100 one is really jerking my strings right now!

Just want to add that this is probably the nicest quality Military sprint I've seen. Received mine yesterday and it's perfect! Great job again, Spyderco! :thumbup:

You don't have to and I didn't do it on this one. I did put a dab of super glue on the ones on my CRUWEAR Mili, but I don't think it was necessary. I have only had the clip on and off a handful of times, but that should be pretty typical. I did the mod in late 2013. Original thread with some more info: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1123113-Tapping-into-G10-and-only-G10-for-screws

That's a great mod nccole! Bookmarked for future reference...

I have converted most of my office EDC knives to Casey Lynch deep carry clips. I like them a lot, but have reverted a few back to the factory clips, like the Stretch and Delica. They are flatter and more comfortable while holding the knife.

I used to hate the high carry of the Military factory clip, but over time I have come to appreciate its design. Nowadays I actually prefer the factory clip over a deep carry STR I use on another Military. Tip down works well for me on this model.

I received mine last week. I love the action. It is super smooth and the blade drops freely out of the box. I believed the CQI change on the stop pin must have something to do with it.

27621391520_41e8ca79a6_b.jpg

I coated mine in Ren wax. It is holding up fairly well. I might force patina on it if the blade starts to darken.

Quick question for you guys. Will you take it apart to put patina on it or will put the patina directly on the assembled blade?

Thanks!

Don

I took mine apart and gave the blade a strong instant coffee soak for ~3 days (changing the coffee each day). You just need to make sure you clean off all of the oil on the blade, otherwise there will be spots that don't darken. I probably should have soaked it for even longer, but I couldn't wait to start carrying/using the military. Now I just need to clean up the edge and tap it for tip up carry!

IMG_3212_zpseglsxn5w.jpg

I took mine apart and gave the blade a strong instant coffee soak for ~3 days (changing the coffee each day). You just need to make sure you clean off all of the oil on the blade, otherwise there will be spots that don't darken. I probably should have soaked it for even longer, but I couldn't wait to start carrying/using the military. Now I just need to clean up the edge and tap it for tip up carry!

IMG_3212_zpseglsxn5w.jpg

That is sweet! Does the coating wear off with use? Does it show use very easily?

Too early to tell. I've only used it in the kitchen for a half a dozen times or so and broken down a box or two. So far I don't see any change, but only time will tell.

Too early to tell. I've only used it in the kitchen for a half a dozen times or so and broken down a box or two. So far I don't see any change, but only time will tell.

Well if you remember my questions a month or two from now and are willing to report back, I would love to hear how it is holding up. I have never heard of the instant coffee patina before. I think I'm going to have to do some research.

Back