52100 Para2

Hadn't seen it mentioned here so just a heads up, I just found an email from BladeHQ about a 52100 Paramilitary 2 Sprint with CF scales.

Preorders, and expected to start shipping mid-October.

I'm in.

Last edited:
Email arrived 6.03am today NZ time. I don't imagine this one lasting long.

Last edited:
Wow .....

That's some balls.... steel.

But carbon fiber again.. lame.

Thanks for the Heads up. Also available at Knifecenter. Pre-Ordered mine too. Anyone know when the Maxamet PM2 is going to ship. Tough month on the wallet. I had also pre ordered a Sliverax that did not get fulfilled in first wave release.

Ordered mine from KC as BladeHQ does not ship to Singapore.

Don't mean to bash this knife, but what's with all of the tool and non-stainless steels being used for PM2 sprints and exclusives and such lately? M4, M4 again (BHQ ex), 52100, Cruwear, etc, I'd like to see some more exotic stainless steels being used. ZDP-189 (is this possible now?), Vanax 37, 20CV, LC200N (please please please!). This is on top of Spyderco using a lot of steels lately on production models that chip fairly easily (i.e. Maxamet, S110V, even S30V), or rather that have very low toughness, since some people always swear up and down that their "used" knife has never chipped. Am I asking too much? My favorite steels seem to be M390/20cv/204p and XHP, followed by S35vn, and I'd like to try the previously mentioned stainless steels without spending a ton on a knife I don't want.

yeah......

had to get one. really like 52100 steel.

it takes and holds a great edge. so that attribute ill be utilizing alot in a smaller folder like the pm2.

i like spydercos use of tool steels and carbon etc. exotic and rare stainlesses(is that even a word) is great too, but happy to see lots of choices.

Last edited:
Which has finer grain and smaller carbides 52100 or M4 ?
Teetering between this 52100 vs biting the bullet and paying too much for a Para 2 M4.

Which has finer grain and smaller carbides 52100 or M4 ?
Teetering between this 52100 vs biting the bullet and paying too much for a Para 2 M4.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're referring to the BladeHQ PM2 M4, it's using CPM's M4 (i.e., particle metallurgy) while 52100 is regular ingot steel. I'd have to assume the M4 version has much finer grain and smaller carbides.

Edit: Um, yeah, no comparison: http://www.zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=CPM M4,52100&ni=8,813&hrn=1&gm=0

Still though, I'm not saying anything against the 52100. I don't have any yet / haven't tried it yet.
I LOVE plain carbon if it's hard so I imagine I would appreciate 52100.

Still though, I'm not saying anything against the 52100. I don't have any yet / haven't tried it yet.
I LOVE plain carbon if it's hard so I imagine I would appreciate 52100.

It'd be cool if they did a differential heat treat/hamon on the 52100. I guess they might not be set up for doing it at the factory. You might be able to put a fake hamon on with some vinegar or other acid treatment.

I was waiting on the Maxamet to get a super crazy hard blade, but then Sergey Rogovets got his hands on some REX 121, so I'll probably get something from him instead :p. REX 121 should put even Maxamet to shame - it runs at like 70+ HRC easily. Probably shatters if you look at it funny, though.

Last edited:
It'd be cool if the did a differential heat treat/hamon on the 52100. I guess they might not be set up for doing it at the factory. You might be able to put a fake hamon on with some vinegar or other acid treatment.

I was waiting on the Maxamet to get a super crazy hard blade, but then Sergey Rogovets got his hands on some REX 121, so I'll probably get something from him instead :p. REX 121 should put even Maxamet to shame - it runs at like 70+ HRC easily. Probably shatters if you look at it funny, though.

Yah I was watching Apostle P on YouTube and you have to be really with it to sharpen Maxemet. He has sharpened several and it wasn't fun. Makes S110V sound like a cake walk. With diamonds it is but Maxamet sounds like it is possible to literally snap the apex of the edge off while sharpening it.

Oooooohhhhh Hamonnnnnnnn . . . that would be fun on a Para.

Didn't I read that Phil Wilson said 121 was just too weird to work with and he was done trying. That's good enough for me. Sounds like a crap shoot whether you get a good one or not.

PS: nope nope . . . I'm wrong, I looked it up. He was talking about CPM-125.

Last edited:
Didn't I read that Phil Wilson said 121 was just too weird to work with and he was done trying. That's good enough for me. Sounds like a crap shoot whether you get a good one or not.

Probably. There was a thread on the Spyderco forum back in 2015 where Sal Glasser says they were working on REX 121 mules. Given that they never came out, I'm guessing it didn't work.

Actually, I just looked it up and there's a follow-up post in July of this year where Sal said they tried REX 121... and went with Maxamet instead :p. Dunno, I'll see what Sergey comes up with.

Back