52100 Para2

I welcome any suggestions for developing a dark natural patina.

Beef, lemon ? etc. Plan to use the knife and wipe away after a short soaking?

Regards,
FK

Regards,
FK
seen some pics of steak cutting that brought out some nice colors tints. i have some various vines in my backyard that bring out a blue purple color on carbon steels. cutting fruits and vegetables will turn it fast enough. limes work well on dark tinting from my experiences. guess my end of ramblings are use it and it will turn.

Is it wrong that part of me wants to buy an extra one for my collection and abuse the hell out of the other one......

This is my first experience with carbon fiber. I love it although I would have bought 52100 with any scale. I find it more grippy than my usual G10 edc but that may be due to wear.

Admiring its beauty, I noticed the Sal/Eric/Golden engravings inlayed with gold or a gold coloring. Am I seeing things? If I decided to try to keep it pristine with daily use and carry, would cleaning and a daily wipe down with tuf-cloth suffice?

Regards,
FK
Give pork chops a go!

IMG_3434.jpg

ScooterG,

Thanks, very nice color,, off to the grocery store tomorrow.

Regards,
FK

errrrrrr . . .
couldn't help but notice this knife is ~$24 more than the blurple S110V (which I have). Isn't this 52100 inexpensive steel and way easier to heat treat than S110V ? Is the price increase just for a superficial (? non structural ?) layer of carbon fiber on top of the real handle material ?
Kind of making the ~$50 leap from there to the M4 that I want look less far but . . .
dang . . . S110V for $24 LESS ?

errrrrrr . . .
couldn't help but notice this knife is ~$24 more than the blurple S110V (which I have). Isn't this 52100 inexpensive steel and way easier to heat treat than S110V ? Is the price increase just for a superficial (? non structural ?) layer of carbon fiber on top of the real handle material ?
Kind of making the ~$50 leap from there to the M4 that I want look less far but . . .
dang . . . S110V for $24 LESS ?

It’s a full carbon fiber scale, not a layer.

Some get G10/CF laminate confused with peel-ply CF. This is full CF with texture (peel-ply)

Peel ply carbon fiber on this sprint PM2 IS solid carbon fiber. Peel ply just refers to the texture of the finish. G10/CF laminate is a layer of carbon fiber on top of g10. G10/CF laminate can also have a peel ply texture as well.

Really? I looked at GP Knives site and they say it's the peel ply CF and G-10 combo scale.
Yes. Maybe they listed it wrong at one point. A couple of dealers listed it as a Sprint which it is not.
The Handle: Peel ply carbon fiber scales house nested stainless steel liners which have been skeletonized to save weight. These scales have a small amount of texture, which provide great grip on the Paramilitary 2's ergonomic handle. Unlocking is made simple thanks to the compression lock; one of the strongest, safest locks on the market today.
https://www.gpknives.com/spyderco-paramilitary-2-52100-carbon-fiber-sprint-c81cfp52100.html

This is my first experience with carbon fiber. I love it although I would have bought 52100 with any scale. I find it more grippy than my usual G10 edc but that may be due to wear.

Admiring its beauty, I noticed the Sal/Eric/Golden engravings inlayed with gold or a gold coloring. Am I seeing things? If I decided to try to keep it pristine with daily use and carry, would cleaning and a daily wipe down with tuf-cloth suffice?

I have seen gold coloring on laser etched SR101 blades from Busse, it should be a variant of 52100 so it’s probable.

I just took a good look at the 52100 I’m carrying and I also definitely see the gold tint in Sal’s makers mark:thumbsup::D

I really want to like/get this knife, but the non-stainless nature of the blade is scaring me off a bit. How much maintenance will be required with 52100? Can I use it and just wipe it off when I'm done? I don't want to do that, put it away and pull it out a month later only to find my new PM2 blade is full of rust. Patina-good, rust-not good. This is what's been keeping me from getting a GB2, I'm worried about the M4 rusting on me.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

If you use it and just wipe the blade after use, it quickly form a patina. If you oil it, it may not though.

I've been EDCing mine since I received it last week and have intentionally cut fruit to form a natural but light patina. If you use it and wipe it, it should not form rust. If you put it away dirty or wet, it will very likely rust.

Back