535-3 Bugout or 565-1 mini freek

Having a hard time deciding. 535-3 or 565-1‽ I can get the mini freek for 210. I can get the bugout for 230. Thanks for the help!

Another vote for the bugout. The mini-freak is just a little to small for my xl glove size hands. Beautiful piece though. They did a great job milling the carbon fiber on the mini-freak. Here is a recycled pic for size comparison.

I'm a long time Spyderco guy but just got a 535-3. I'm still getting used to it, but I'm a fan so far. The compression lock is still far faster for me, but I think I'll speed up with practice. For me a compression lock is as fast as an otf both opening and closing. I think I can get there with the axis, but it's a little harder on my thumb. pointer finger flick is already very fast for me.

I love the size and almost non existent weight. it's a fantastic edc, disappears in my pocket like no other. I love s90v. The extra bling factor with the cf and blue anodized hardware really made me finally pick up a bugout.

the grip is very neutral and easy to handle, very fast handling.

Very impressed. Moreso than I was expecting. I can't speak to the others, but i found the "regular" bugouts a little bland. This one is very sharp looking, and again the weight and steel are a perfect package.

How big are your hands?
The bugout is really flat feeling in your hand, and depending on which version you get, also very slippery feeling (especially cold and dry places).

The mini freek while short, is alot more hand filling since its chubbier, great for smaller hands.

Have fun picking!

I have both and prefer the mini-freek. I like how it feels more substantial in the hand and prefer the blade shape.

I'm biased, I really like Bugouts but I'll try and justify my preference for the 535-3 (which I own and is in my pocket as I type) over the 565-1 (which I have handled in a store but didn't and probably won't buy).

The Bugout has slightly thinner blade stock which *should* give you marginally better slicing given the grind heights are almost identical.

Looking at JonesE's photo above the guard on the Bugout is much closer to the blade than the other models shown - for me that means I have more space to grip on a handle that is the same length as the Freeks. This may seem like a small thing but it's one of my main reasons for liking the Bugout as much as I do.

The Bugout is sleeker and less tactical looking ... it looks more like a knife that non-knife people might accept in an urban environment than the Freek does. For me personally, the 535-3 is very close to a modern "gent's" knife, the Freek is a pimped small tactical knife.

In reality they are really so similar that you should buy the one that makes you the happiest ... or just buy both.

Can anyone help me by identifying one of the knives in the photo above? I don’t recognize the one at the bottom.
Thanks!

Thank you! I thought the knife at the top was a Mini Osborne. I didn’t realize how close the Osborne and Bugout are.

Since it seems you really like both, maybe get the mini Freek now. I only say this because I suspect the mini Freek would be the first to get discontinued. It's the only mini Freek being made at this point. The Bugout will be around a long time I suspect. You can get it later.

They're both awesome but that Mini-Freek gets my vote. Love the sculpted CF and red accents ... and S90V! Can't lose with that combo.

Back