• Hollow Grind

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Flat Grind

Votes: 48 60.8%
  • Sabre Grind

Votes: 27 34.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
skblades skblades : can you confirm that the hollow grind option is a full height hollow grind as in your picture (and like some Case Sodbusters) or a regular (saber) hollow grind (like the Buck 110 and nearly all other Bucks).

Thanks.

about even so far on sabre vs. flat.

I can use a ffg on camp chores and in the kitchen. plus a knife this size ain't gonna be a real chopper. slicing ability of ffg is a plus for me. all that said...im good with either as the sabre isnt gonna be too thick, I dont think. should perform well.

Voted sabre. Seems this knife is designed for more heavier duty tasks and less so for those requiring more finesse...

Edit to say I will be happy with any of the grinds!

Last edited:
I am mostly looking at it from how I would be using the knife we all know any knife can do in a pinch for me if we end up with a Sabre grind it will be something to give me an excuse to camp, I sadly haven't been camping since I was a child, but if it is FFG or Hollow just means I can try it out and enjoy it in my kitchen more. I am more partial to the Sabre I like the robustness it adds that makes me more comfortable using it in outdoors applications.

Sabre and flat grind are neck and neck, this is going to be a fun one!

As much as I would like a sabre grind on this particular knife to make it a bit more robust, I think the flat grind would also perform very well. My BK62 has a flat grind and is of similar thickness to the Buck 104 (.15" on the Kephart and .16" on the Buck) and performs phenomenally in the kitchen.

tLzlW5V.jpg

I think it just comes down to what you want this knife to be capable of. Are you going to mainly be using it chop a bunch of potatoes for breakfast at the camp? Go flat grind. Do you want to be able to split kindling in a pinch? Go sabre.

On another note... This thread really makes me wonder why Buck went with a hollow grind on the production 104.

I'm not voting in these, because I won't be buying one, but I enjoy following the process. I just wanted to mention that while Buck might not make many full flat grind knives normally, the 2018 Traditional Subforum Knife showed that Buck can indeed do a full flat grind quite nicely.

View media item 5266
If I were voting, I would vote for a full flat grind, but I am biased by the fact that I have a surplus of heavy duty saber ground fixed blades. I mean, really the reason that I am not in on this knife essentially boils down to the fact that it is very redundant in my collection. If I didn't have plenty of robust camp knives I might lean toward the saber grind. But I generally find the flat grind most useful and the best balance between strength and slicing ability.

Sabre and flat grind are neck and neck, this is going to be a fun one!

As much as I would like a sabre grind on this particular knife to make it a bit more robust, I think the flat grind would also perform very well. My BK62 has a flat grind and is of similar thickness to the Buck 104 (.15" on the Kephart and .16" on the Buck) and performs phenomenally in the kitchen.

tLzlW5V.jpg

I think it just comes down to what you want this knife to be capable of. Are you going to mainly be using it chop a bunch of potatoes for breakfast at the camp? Go flat grind. Do you want to be able to split kindling in a pinch? Go sabre.

On another note... This thread really makes me wonder why Buck went with a hollow grind on the production 104.

Really?? A kitchen knife?? I don't think anyone is building this knife to use in the kitchen...I know I'm not....

As stated in my initial post, I voted for the flat. I won't change my vote.
The saber grind was/is my close second choice, so I'll be happy with either one. :)

Really?? A kitchen knife?? I don't think anyone is building this knife to use in the kitchen...I know I'm not....

I said "breakfast at the camp". I didn't say kitchen knife. I used the BK62 to cut up potatoes because I wanted to see how it did. We had a foot and a half of snow on the ground last week, I didn't feel like camping.

Plenty of knives do just fine in the bush with a full flat grind.

Last edited:
What I've seen from Buck for a full flat grind on the BF 301 knife and SK 110/112 is a substantially "thick" blade. On a larger blade like this, I can only image. Add Saber grind and we may get a wood splitting wedge. But it sounds like most want it for this purpose rather than cutting anyway. Does anyone have an example of a Buck Saber grind knife? This may be a unique one of a kind item.

A Knife this length would be a better performer with a Flat Grind ;) but I think the Saber Grind has a better look :D

Back