• CPM-154 with Cerakote

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • S35VN

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • S35VN with Cerakote

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We are moving forward with the Buck 104 Compadre in this year's build!

This poll will cover a variety of blade steels with the option of Cerakote or not for each steel. After this poll we will move to grind and materials. If Cerakote is chosen, then we will have a poll immediately after this one for color.

If you want to be a part of the Giveaway for the first knife of this run, then please vote here. You also MUST comment on the original thread ( https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/5th-annual-help-us-build-a-buck-fixed-blade-giveaway.1646692/ ) in order to be entered.

Idea on Cost:

$ - 5160
$$ - D2
$$$ - CPM-154
$$$$ - S35VN

Please keep in mind cost as you build this. What would you be willing to pay for what the knife will be used for? Let's not build it to the max just because it's the most expensive option, unless of course, there is a good reason for it. I trust you all to discuss thoroughly!

Good luck and let the discussion begin!

I am not going to vote, because I am not going to be able to buy one in any case, but that said, I think D2 is hands down the best choice. It isn't stainless, but it does pretty well on the stain resistance, so it doesn't need to be coated. And more importantly for a knife like this, D2 is a steel you can beat on. Plus it has good edge retention. And best of all, it keeps the price reasonable.

If I were going to be buying this knife, I would want D2

I am not going to vote, because I am not going to be able to buy one in any case, but that said, I think D2 is hands down the best choice. It isn't stainless, but it does pretty well on the stain resistance, so it doesn't need to be coated. And more importantly for a knife like this, D2 is a steel you can beat on. Plus it has good edge retention. And best of all, it keeps the price reasonable.

If I were going to be buying this knife, I would want D2
That makes 2 of us! :)

D2 is definitely a strong option for me but S35VN is an interesting option to consider both I would look at the uncoated option as for my I just don't really care for coated blade generally speaking.

D2 without the coating; I think D2 is hard to beat and it ages nicely without coating. Coated blades look great until you start scratching them up, then they look ugly.

Just use natural unicorn horn with the natural jigging from its spiral shape.

Didn't you hear? It's illegal to import Unicorn horn. Besides; Water Bears survive solely on a diet of Unicorn horn (similar to the worms that eat the ram's horn :rolleyes:) I think that's why the import is now illegal.

d2 is my last choice of the bunch. too each their own....

Uncoated D2!!

I was thinking s35 before knowing D2 was an option...
This one is a no brainer:)

Back