• CPM-154 with Cerakote

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • S35VN

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • S35VN with Cerakote

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted S35VN till I seen the $$$$ then switched to D2 as cost is a factor..and I love my D2 118..

I'm OK with 5160 or D2 - but a flat or convex grind no blade coat (oil works well) ...This is a nice knife and a few tweaks will make it THE knife.

Wow I didn’t realize how much more s35vn would cost and I don’t know much about D2 other than it’s hard and a semi stainless. Is D2 hard to sharpen or does it depend on heat treat? And do you have to worry about keeping it oiled? Like I say I’ve only heard a little about it and varying opinions as how it can be heat treated for toughness.

Wow I didn’t realize how much more s35vn would cost and I don’t know much about D2 other than it’s hard and a semi stainless. Is D2 hard to sharpen or does it depend on heat treat? And do you have to worry about keeping it oiled? Like I say I’ve only heard a little about it and varying opinions as how it can be heat treated for toughness.
yes. very hard to reprofile. also hard to get a good edge if one isnt experienced with it. I've found it does better with a toothy edge more than a finer edge myself. a true tool steel.

I live in very humid, hot and wet Florida. have plenty of knives in d2. never had a rust issue. it's very close to stainless. corrosion resistance really isnt an issue to worry about. it's good enough and does pretty well even without oiling. I've never oiled mine.

its a good solid cutlery steel thats been used forever about anyways.....just not a favorite for me but i still enjoy it for what it is. for this knife I prefer cpm 154 but I'm the only vote for it so that's says it all........

Well it through me for a curve. But after reading some info on D2 and some comments on here I think I’ll change my vote to D2 no coating. I guess I can try it and I’m thinking Buck has a good heat treat so it should be good for a camp knife. Has Buck done any D2 ? I don’t remember seeing any before and what hrc would be good?

Well it through me for a curve. But after reading some info on D2 and some comments on here I think I’ll change my vote to D2 no coating. I guess I can try it and I’m thinking Buck has a good heat treat so it should be good for a camp knife. Has Buck done any D2 ? I don’t remember seeing any before and what hrc would be good?
yep. buck has and they do a good job on it. think 58 to 59 range? which is real close to the normal upper end for d2. I'll let skblades or Jeff answer fully and properly.

I went with CPM-154. It can be stamped instead of laser etched and it is easier to sharpen than D2. It's stainless, has good toughness and holds an edge.

I'll be happy with D2 though and I would be willing to pay for S35VN which really is the best of the bunch.

Thought these charts might be of some help for those of us who might want to do some comparison of the different steels.
Please note I could not find a chart that included 5160. I did find the following which IMHO is a fair description:
  • 5160: This medium-carbon, low-alloy steel grade is tough and hard. It is effectively spring steel with added chromium to increase hardenability. Tough and impact-resistant, these steels are most often found in axes and hatchets. MY ADD - Please fee free to disagree: Low corrosion resistance without Cerakote, easy to resharpen, edge retention-according to the rope cutting test posted by Ankerson- is in the same category as S30V.
S35VN-steel-chart-b_400.png CPM-154-steel-chart-b_400.pngD2-steel-chart-b_400.png
Hope this might be of some help
OG

Definitely in the bare D2 camp with this one. I'd love to see S35VN on a Buck 307 size mate to the 2018 Bladeforums knife - maybe next year?

This is shaping up to be one slick knife. If we end up with solid wood or micarta scales... Wild horses couldn’t keep me away!

I decided to vote with the majority (uncoated D2), even though it wouldn't have been my first choice. I don't dislike D2, so there's no reason to start out on the losing side of the polls.

If ease of sharpening is important for a camp knife, D2 might not be the right choice.

I decided to vote with the majority (uncoated D2), even though it wouldn't have been my first choice. I don't dislike D2, so there's no reason to start out on the losing side of the polls.
I sort of went for the opposite. I'm totally happy with uncoated D2, but I'd love to see CPM-154, so I figured I'd throw in there in case the winds change. ;)

Back