• CPM-154 with Cerakote

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • S35VN

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • S35VN with Cerakote

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have had one knife with CeraKote, not a Buck, it was D2 so I'm thinking it was coated to keep stains and rust to a minimum. I liked the D2 but the coating wore badly and made the knife unattractive, in my IMHO. The Titanium Nitrate that's on the Buck Alaskan Guide series is much more durable and stays looking good much longer.

Still time for the swing voters to make a move :D

Buck_Burlap_Micarta_501_CPM154_01.jpg

I’m wondering how much cpm154 would add to the cost over D2. I have some folding knives in cpm154 and they have been as good as the s30v knives I have.

I’m also wondering why someone is thinking this compadre knife has to be a Bushcraft/ survival only knife??? I take it this is mainly a camp/ utility type knife that can cover various tasks while hunting, fishing and camping. Those are activities I usually plan for so I usually have other tools and gear to be well equipped not as if I were in an unexpected survival situation with only one knife. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think a camp knife is just one of several tools a person would generally take along.

I’m wondering how much cpm154 would add to the cost over D2. I have some folding knives in cpm154 and they have been as good as the s30v knives I have.

I’m also wondering why someone is thinking this compadre knife has to be a Bushcraft/ survival only knife??? I take it this is mainly a camp/ utility type knife that can cover various tasks while hunting, fishing and camping. Those are activities I usually plan for so I usually have other tools and gear to be well equipped not as if I were in an unexpected survival situation with only one knife. Correct me if I’m wrong but I think a camp knife is just one of several tools a person would generally take along.
Doesnt have to be one. Just be good base for one. Maybe a great all around blade. Its a fun poll for sure. Sk has done a great job with these threads.

Heck, just look at the knives Kepheart and Nessmuk used for bushcraft. They were general purpose, like the Compadre. Skin a critter? No problem. Food Prep? Not a problem. Make feather sticks, tent stakes, a spoon or bowl? They could do that, too.
They were/are nothing like the overgrown "do everything" (and do nothing well) "bushcraft" knives that seem so popular today.
Exactly why some "people" "think"/believe they should be able to fell a tree by beating their knife through a tree ... I will never understand.

It shouldn't be much. CPM 154 is pretty common and easy to come by I think. Using the 2018 forum knife as a basis, it was of the more moderate options. It should be a bit cheaper than S35VN at least.

I actually think the steel choices are listed in the order that they would cost, maybe add $10-$15 for each level jump. 5160 and D2 are probably closer than other gaps though.

It shouldn't be much. CPM 154 is pretty common and easy to come by I think. Using the 2018 forum knife as a basis, it was of the more moderate options. It should be a bit cheaper than S35VN at least.

I actually think the steel choices are listed in the order that they would cost, maybe add $10-$15 for each level jump. 5160 and D2 are probably closer than other gaps though.
Pretty accurate assessment!

Heck, just look at the knives Kepheart and Nessmuk used for bushcraft. They were general purpose, like the Compadre. Skin a critter? No problem. Food Prep? Not a problem. Make feather sticks, tent stakes, a spoon or bowl? They could do that, too.
They were/are nothing like the overgrown "do everything" (and do nothing well) "bushcraft" knives that seem so popular today.
Exactly why some "people" "think"/believe they should be able to fell a tree by beating their knife through a tree ... I will never understand.
Exactly, Well put !

I know this is a stupid question, but how does this work exactly. The two straps go around your belt and the sheath is held horizontal? Where will the fire rod go?

I know this is a stupid question, but how does this work exactly. The two straps go around your belt and the sheath is held horizontal? Where will the fire rod go?

Yes, so you can remove the knife without removing the belt. With the fire steel loops, they're often put onto the bottom seam, thought I think Makael did one recently where it was vertical in between the straps, often where an altoids tin pouch is stored in the bushcraft scout carry sheaths.

Personally, I like the fire steel in it's one pouch or fire pack. It rarely needs to be out and exposed all the time like the knife does, since it sees a lot less use than the knife. I have worked out an altoids fire kit and I like it more than the fire steel loop just hanging out, out there.

Also, I've seen similar models to what Makael has above with a belt loop and dangler clipped on for vertical carry too. Usually, they're on the pricier side because there's a lot of features.

This is the revolution model from patriot leather, with all the bell's and whistles. I think he is or used to be a vendor here before he started patriot leather, username @Skystorm if I have that all pieced together correctly.
dsc-0009.jpg

Yes, so you can remove the knife without removing the belt. With the fire steel loops, they're often put onto the bottom seam, thought I think Makael did one recently where it was vertical in between the straps, often where an altoids tin pouch is stored in the bushcraft scout carry sheaths.

Personally, I like the fire steel in it's one pouch or fire pack. It rarely needs to be out and exposed all the time like the knife does, since it sees a lot less use than the knife. I have worked out an altoids fire kit and I like it more than the fire steel loop just hanging out, out there.

Also, I've seen similar models to what Makael has above with a belt loop and dangler clipped on for vertical carry too. Usually, they're on the pricier side because there's a lot of features.

This is the revolution model from patriot leather, with all the bell's and whistles. I think he is or used to be a vendor here before he started patriot leather, username @Skystorm if I have that all pieced together correctly.
dsc-0009.jpg
I may put a pouch inbetween the straps also. Fun to do.

Back