5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On to our 5th Buck Forum Knife! Here is the history of the knives we've built together!

1st Year: Buck Marksman
2nd Year: Buck 110
3rd Year: Buck Vantage
4th Year: Buck 110 LT

Since we missed out on doing the 2019 Trad Forum Knife, and since we've been doing 1 of these every year for the last 5 years, it's time again!

As it says in the title, we need help building a Buck Fixed Blade. This poll will help us determine the model of the knife from these 3 options:

Buck 104 Compadre
Buck 105 Pathfinder
Buck 119 Special

From this vote, we'll launch into more polls for the materials available for modification! This poll will be open for 8 days.

Your input is very important to us. So important, that we are doing a DRAWING TO GIVE AWAY THE FIRST KNIFE FROM THIS PROJECT.

Rules for entry in the drawing: Please vote and leave a comment or question to get yourself entered into the drawing. You can only enter once, but can comment as many times as you'd like!

And here, we, go!
I'm in and I went for the 105. I'd prefer the cocobolo handle, too.

Zieg

You replied before my finale edit... You can order one right off of Bucks website...Click on the 105 and it gives you the option to order one...
i believe it’s not real cocobolo though right? i think it’s the cocobolo diamondwood. please correct me if i’m wrong. i’d love to see one in real cocobolo or micarta...and a 52100 steel (e.g.).

i believe it’s not real cocobolo though right? i think it’s the cocobolo diamondwood. please correct me if i’m wrong. i’d love to see one in real cocobolo or micarta...and a 52100 steel (e.g.).

With the pricing on real, solid cocobolo handles because of regulations, that might be unfeasible. Solid ebony might be the closest we can get.

Buck also doesn’t work with 52100 as far as I know, but that sure would be sweet.

*Edit for eye candy!

Here's my Buck 119 with cocobolo diamondwood handles and a Ti-Ni coated S30V blade that my wife got for me. :)

cL0lnvQ.jpg

L3Ehauy.jpg

Last edited:
At first glance, I thought it was a Black Widow...We watch for any critter that's black around here. Not many black ants, mainly red...

Yes they do!!!

Last edited:
With the pricing on real, solid cocobolo handles because of regulations, that might be unfeasible. Solid ebony might be the closest we can get.

Buck also doesn’t work with 52100 as far as I know, but that sure would be sweet.

*Edit for eye candy!

Here's my Buck 119 with cocobolo diamondwood handles and a Ti-Ni coated S30V blade that my wife got for me. :)

cL0lnvQ.jpg

L3Ehauy.jpg
i’m not sure the pricing on real cocobolo would be preclusive. i can buy scales for $20. if you’re saying there’s regulations against it, i guess i don’t know about that.

but i would be happy with real wood, in general. honestly, in real life use, it doesn’t really matter i don’t think. but i guess it just gets stuck in my craw. if i had my druthers, i’d prefer OD micarta (or maroon linen), but that’s just me.

and regarding the 52100, i realize that buck doesn’t currently use it. but, i thought we were making custom recommendations (fantasies). shrug. i dunno.

but with all that said...beautiful 119! good stuff. i have a vanguard in a similar handle config and love it. cheers.

i’m not sure the pricing on real cocobolo would be preclusive. i can buy scales for $20. if you’re saying there’s regulations against it, i guess i don’t know about that.

but i would be happy with real wood, in general. honestly, in real life use, it doesn’t really matter i don’t think. but i guess it just gets stuck in my craw. if i had my druthers, i’d prefer OD micarta (or maroon linen), but that’s just me.

and regarding the 52100, i realize that buck doesn’t currently use it. but, i thought we were making custom recommendations (fantasies). shrug. i dunno.

but with all that said...beautiful 119! good stuff. i have a vanguard in a similar handle config and love it. cheers.

Here's a little info on the recent "ban" on cocobolo.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/rosewoods-bubinga-really-banned-cites/

I'm completely with you on the solid wood though! I've never been a big fan of diamondwood/plywood. I know it can look nearly as good and is more durable, but there's just something about having a solid wood handle in your hand.

I think we're making custom recommendations, but staying in the realm of possibility so the knife is created this year (maybe I'm misunderstanding though). I imagine it would take Buck some trial and error and R&D to produce 52100, which would be asking a lot of them for such a small run.

Thanks! We found it in the blem case at the Buck factory. As Makael noted, it's just an Alaskan Guide 119 with no badging. I absolutely love it.

We might see 80CRV2.

Exciting! That would make for a great 104 in my opinion. Nice tough steel.

Out of curiosity... Do you know if newly released steels from Buck still get the BOS heat treat stamp now that he's retired? It sounds like he still works with them to develop the heat treats of new steels, so I would think so. I do gotta say, Paul Farner has been doing a damn good job of keeping the tradition of Buck's amazing heat treats alive though.

Exciting! That would make for a great 104 in my opinion. Nice tough steel.

Out of curiosity... Do you know if newly released steels from Buck still get the BOS heat treat stamp now that he's retired? It sounds like he still works with them to develop the heat treats of new steels, so I would think so. I do gotta say, Paul Farner has been doing a damn good job of keeping the tradition of Buck's amazing heat treats alive though.
Yes,, buck utilizes Paul's procedures and the BOS symbol will be on the knives. I don't think they Mark 420 but most of the other steels have the BOS and flame Mark,

Buck heat treats customer projects as well. I think this is one of the coolest services any manufacturer can offer,

Back