5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some really cool stuff coming together on this one - excited for it to be available! This is my first following and participation in a build opportunity like this - what typically is the turn-around time, and any estimate or prediction on where the approximate price may land for this one?

I really want one of these and am glad it won't be ready too soon as I am not able to do any extra spending at this time.

Some really cool stuff coming together on this one - excited for it to be available! This is my first following and participation in a build opportunity like this - what typically is the turn-around time, and any estimate or prediction on where the approximate price may land for this one?

Turn-around can vary quite a bit, from a few months to the whole process taking the better part of the year from selection by vote to the knife being delivered. It's not a quick process as I don't think most manufacturers are ideally suited for small, custom runs.

GEC runs most of their operation in a small batch format so it's not too much of a change for them to run a small batch of a special option so I think their turn-arounds are a little quicker. It's also a different operation than the one-off custom shops which is one at a time, and a premium price for the direct, hands-on labor for the custom component piece. It's also easier if they just have a bin of parts to choose from whereas this buck compadre is non-standard, right up to the materials used. From an operations perspective, it is tricky. The blade grind would probably be the biggest complication since they can just run it through the standard process/machines with desired specifications. It is creating a completely new product, based on some of the specs of a current model. We do this a lot in the food industry product development using an old formula, change the spices and maybe one or 2 new ingredients and give you a new improved product with new labels and such.

Turn-around can vary quite a bit, from a few months to the whole process taking the better part of the year from selection by vote to the knife being delivered. It's not a quick process as I don't think most manufacturers are ideally suited for small, custom runs.

GEC runs most of their operation in a small batch format so it's not too much of a change for them to run a small batch of a special option so I think their turn-arounds are a little quicker. It's also a different operation than the one-off custom shops which is one at a time, and a premium price for the direct, hands-on labor for the custom component piece. It's also easier if they just have a bin of parts to choose from whereas this buck compadre is non-standard, right up to the materials used. From an operations perspective, it is tricky. The blade grind would probably be the biggest complication since they can just run it through the standard process/machines with desired specifications. It is creating a completely new product, based on some of the specs of a current model. We do this a lot in the food industry product development using an old formula, change the spices and maybe one or 2 new ingredients and give you a new improved product with new labels and such.
Thanks for the input!

I agree with all of what you said but remember how many limited runs and exclusives they put out. They put out runs of 100 just for c&c. Not to mention all the commemorative and advertising runs they do. I think with all that buck might be pretty good with the small run stuff.

Disclaimer: just my opinion

Refresh my memory; what was the final knife? Compadre 104 with burlap Micarta. Blade D2 steel? and with what coating?

Thanks, thinking about a different Compadre purchase and may want to "coordinate"...

Refresh my memory; what was the final knife? Compadre 104 with burlap Micarta. Blade D2 steel? and with what coating?

Thanks, thinking about a different Compadre purchase and may want to "coordinate"...
There was going to be something different about the grind...but I can't remember what.

Back