5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man, I love mine! The handle material along with the uncoated blade of a different steel and grind really make this seem like a whole new knife. I'm equally impressed with the sheath! I had originally wanted one of the Buck sheaths that snap, but this thing has incredible retention and great craftsmanship. Overall, I just couldn't be more pleased with this knife.

uXJe5L4.jpg

bCPI2AA.jpg

y0SbJW4.jpg

FThD1zE.jpg

AxvseBM.jpg

I received my SKBlades 104 Frontier a while back and like it so much that I ordered an 104 Comadre Micarta Cerakote 5160. I really like the Compadre version also, and certainly no complaints. (Sorry, I still need to snap some pics of the Frontier and now the Compadre.)
  • The Frontier's heft seems a littler heavier, which I like since this is a camp knife. I am glad the flat grind won out in the polls, even though I don't think I voted for it.
  • The Burlap Micarta handle has a MUCH better grip than the Canvas Micarta. And I also like the look of the Burlap more, especially with the sheath.
  • The Compadre's sheath is nice, and may be more functional, but the Frontier's sheath is awesome! Plus I like that the Frontier's sheath does not have any rivets or snaps that contact the knife. Very nice, snug fit.
  • As far as the Cerakote coating is concerned, this is my first coated blade so still getting used to it. It is cool looking, but would not have looked as good with the Burlap handle. I will say that it is nice having a coated and non-coated version.
  • As for the blade steel, I will let others argue that. I think I originally voted for the 5160, but am just as happy with the D2.
I am very happy with both knives, but the Frontier is my favorite. There was some discussion about obtaining left-hand versions of the Frontier's sheath. Is there a way to obtain a right-handed sheath for my Compadre 104?

Last edited:
I'm sure you could buy one from Buck.
But by the time you pay shipping......
For my money I'd ask Mike. I have a number of his and I prefer all of them over my Frontier sheath. But that's my opinion.:cool:
Somewhere he posted pics of one he made.
Good luck.

I've just ordered mine with a lefty sheath. It'll probably take some time to make its way to the Netherlands though, especially around this time of the year.

Last edited:
Oh my! I REALLY like my 104 Compadre. Dang near perfect as is. This iteration looks great.

Last edited:
Mine just arrived. As others have noted, it is even BETTER than expected and my expectations were high.

The quality sheath is very nice aesthetically and functionally. The burlap micarta provides for a better grip than the canvas and is especially attractive contrasting with the bright steel.

bjCYgr1.jpg

I wasn't sure that I would like the flat grind but a quick test in the kitchen carving off a few slices of cheese and dicing some produce left me with the impression that this knife will hold its own against its hollow ground brethren. I'll be giving it a walk out into the woods shortly comparing it to my much favored Compadre.

STOkOCh.jpg

I've found the 5160 Compadre's steel to take and hold a keen durable edge. I'm optimistic the D2 will be equally as good when the time comes to sharpen it.

I sold a few knives to buy this one. If Santa is generous with me this year I will buy another. You guys did a GREAT JOB with this knife. Thank you SKblades for making this happen.

JxtIrP6.jpg

CLDlTdi.jpg

Edit ADD: A few weeks in, daily use and a number of trips into the field, I am still liking this knife a lot. I did re-profile the edge slightly and resharpen. It does take longer to sharpen and I'm not sure I could do it in field conditions but the D2 so far has really held a keen edge that has proven to be impressively durable even after extensive chopping. The scale of this knife is perfect. Big enough to do most anything. Small enough to take along. GREAT knife!

Edit Update: Almost 4 months of regular use and I'm still liking this knife a lot. I've been very impressed by the edge retention, even after chopping. After dinging the edge on a hard surface I put it back on the stone. The edge came back quickly and scary sharp.

Last edited:
What could possibly be better than the Buck 104 Frontier?

Two of them.
fYEpIMCl.jpg

I've been using my first Frontier on a near daily basis since its arrival in the kitchen, shop, garden, trail... A few weeks ago I tested it head to head with my 104 Compadre, another knife I really like, while on an extended outing. Both did everything I asked. The Frontier edged out the Compadre with slightly better edge retention after hard use and the burlap Micarta does provide a better purchase on the knife. Most tasks like meal prep, light chopping, brush clearing, sparking a firesteel, firewood collection and prep... the knives preformed equally well. In the field the Frontier's sheath was preferable. I was concerned the D2 might be difficult to bring back scary sharpness outside of my shop. That has been put to rest as I've been able to bring it back to scary sharp with a couple of small Arkansas stones and a leather strop.

I'm a BIG fan. Thanks to all who had a part in creating this excellent knife.

Back