5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
another 119 without the fuller is very appealing to me. if its gonna have a fuller I'll change my vote to one of the other two choices.

skblades skblades is a flat grind eventually an option for the blades? I feel like a flat grind 119 would be something special but if it would be sticking with the tried and true hollow grind, I may have to vote differently.

I voted 105 for now but I think the 104 could be pretty tantalizing. I think I like the 119 the most but as others have pointed out, it's been customized to death. I wouldn't be apposed to one with a different grind though. Love my 5160 119, would be stellar with a little more robust tip and maybe a little less swedge. It digs into my thumbs a bit when carving. Love the weight to blade length ration on it though, really most bucks for that matter.

I could see a frontier being something pretty neat as a customized option also, but maybe that's something for the future.
Yes flat grind is on the table!

I bought my son a 104 with the red blade. Once I received it and held it in my hand I really fell for it. I really didn't like the red blade though.
I think if more of you guys could see and hold the knife you would gain more appreciation for the knife. It is a nice size at 9-1/2" overall and
has a great feel to it. I think letting us pick a few options such as steel or cerakote color as well as handle material we could make this a
great all around knife that would be very different and unusual.

104 for sure! Ever since the Sams Club close out special set I missed its been on my short list of Bucks I want to try out. It could be a really special big Buck! I would really like to see it in S35VN to see what that steel is all about. I just couldn't actually use my 112 but I'll hack all kinds of stuff with a 104!!

Pretty much everything up to s35vn would be an option. To save cost, a different cerakote with 5160 may be the winner. Just depends on the voting! Handle material is wide open.
Oh yes, s35vn satin or stone wash would be real nice! 20cv would be extra nice as I’ve seen it’s just a bit tougher than s35vn .

Would a flat grind be as high as it is on the one Makael posted or full flat to the top of the spine?

Yes flat grind is on the table!
Would a Sabre grind also be an option? Am I correct in thinking that like a flat grind, a Sabre grind is more durable than a hollow grind but might also allow the user to re-profile the edge for more sharpness if desired?
OG

Last edited:
Would a Sabre grind also be an option? Am I correct in thinking that like a flat grind, a Sabre grind is more durable than a hollow grind but might also allow the user to re-profile the edge for more sharpness if desired?
OG

A sabre grind is a type of flat grind. It's one where the primary bevel starts between the spine and final edge, generally near the midway point. High saber/high flats are nearer the top and a scandi grind could be considered a low flat grind. Of course, then there is the ever popular full flat grind that most people are aware of.

A few different names for it: flat grind, saber grind, flat saber grind, high flat grind

https://knife-depot.com/pages/a-guide-to-knife-grinds
https://www.theknifeconnection.net/blade-grind-types/
https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knife-anatomy/blade-grinds/

I'm a big fan of the high sabre/high flat, where the bevel starts shortly after the unground part. It gets thin pretty easy and it leave a little extra metal at the spine for doing stupid stuff with sticks. It also makes it easier to eyeball a sharpening angle for me.

In terms of blade durability of the grinds mentioned (not necessarily edge durability), and not taking into account other parts of edge geometry: hollow<<full flat<<high sabre <<low sabre

For a good idea of the differences in high sabre and low sabre, look at bk7 (high) and then look at an esee 5 (regular).

I think the 119 would be sweet with a high saber where the current hollow is just replaced with a flat grind. Really, I think any of the knives here would be nice with a flat grind, though I think the bigger, slightly more hard use knives benefit a little so the 105 is solid in hollow or maybe even a full flat. My opinions, of course.

Last edited:
Like others I voted for the 104 since I don't have one yet, and there aren't many versions out there like there are for the 105 and 119. I'd be in for intriguing versions of any of those three knives though.

This isn't going to be easy, gee wiz. I have all three, I like all three.

One question, a drop point 119. Is it possible?

This is a great opportunity, thanks for putting this together.

I voted for 105, but honestly any of the three platforms are winners.

A sabre grind is a type of flat grind. It's one where the primary bevel starts between the spine and final edge, generally near the midway point. High saber/high flats are nearer the top and a scandi grind could be considered a low flat grind. Of course, then there is the ever popular full flat grind that most people are aware of.

A few different names for it: flat grind, saber grind, flat saber grind, high flat grind

https://knife-depot.com/pages/a-guide-to-knife-grinds
https://www.theknifeconnection.net/blade-grind-types/
https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/knife-anatomy/blade-grinds/

I'm a big fan of the high sabre/high flat, where the bevel starts shortly after the unground part. It gets thin pretty easy and it leave a little extra metal at the spine for doing stupid stuff with sticks. It also makes it easier to eyeball a sharpening angle for me.

In terms of blade durability of the grinds mentioned (not necessarily edge durability), and not taking into account other parts of edge geometry: hollow<<full flat<<high sabre <<low sabre

For a good idea of the differences in high sabre and low sabre, look at bk7 (high) and then look at an esee 5 (regular).

I think the 119 would be sweet with a high saber where the current hollow is just replaced with a flat grind. Really, I think any of the knives here would be nice with a flat grind, though I think the bigger, slightly more hard use knives benefit a little so the 105 is solid in hollow or maybe even a full flat. My opinions, of course.
Thank you for the response and the clarification.
OG

Back