5th Annual: Help Us Build a Buck: Fixed Blade (Giveaway)

Choose the fixed blade model.

• Buck 104 Compadre

Votes: 59 47.2%
  • Buck 105 Pathfinder

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Buck 119 Special

Votes: 23 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
hmmm....i would be interested in the 104 with some custom mods (and not the red coating! :rolleyes:;)). however, with that said...i am not a huge fan of the handle shape, so i expect that even if there were custom options, the blank would still be the same.

so i voted for the 105. would love to see that offered in a carbon steel like 52100 and a custom handle (e.g. micarta, real wood, etc).

regardless, very interested to see what this turns into.

thanks for organizing, including us and the GAW skblades skblades :thumbsup:

Buck Compadre with a saber-flat grind in 5160!!!

Buck started with saber-flat grinds and IMO a saber-flat grind makes a better camp knife as it works wood and splits kindling better.
:thumbsup:

hmmm....i would be interested in the 104 with some custom mods (and not the red coating! :rolleyes:;)).
As the red powder coat has been mentioned a couple of times, and since I voted for the 104, I just wanted to make sure that all are aware that Buck now has their own Cerakote facility. The new 104 for 2019 has a black blade and is described by Buck as:
BLADE: Cerakote® Cobalt coated 5160 spring steel
HANDLE: Natural Canvas Micarta®
skblades skblades - (if this is inappropriate for the thread, please delete or let me know and I'll modify it)
OG

I would perhaps want to go stainless and uncoated for the 104 myself it would help set it apart from other 104s and stainless to keep from needing an excuse to coat it. I do know skblades skblades mentioned in the forum knife thread bluing the blade but people had concerns of the potential toxicity of that. I would be interested in that option assuming the toxicity concerns are dealt with.

The grind on the 104 matters a lot more to me than the blade steel, particularly if choosing between 5160 and 420HC. I think 420HC is plenty tough for anything I could dream up doing with a 5" blade - assuming it has a saber-flat grind.

Truth be told, I'd slap that puppy on my course stone in a nano-second to convex the blade. A working man's Bark River in 420HC. You betcha.

I’d like to see more of the smooth bone knives. Like the three from BassPro. Continue the set. A new model just in time for Father’s Day each year until the set is done would be awesome.

Then move onto Sambar Stag. Ed

I would have loved to see a Buck 102 listed as an option... But I’ll definitely take a carbon 104 or 105 as a consolation prize!

I really like Buck’s 5160, but I sure wish they would throw some 52100 into the mix!

I’m also curious if solid ebony is on the table for customs now that Buck has partnered with Taylor.

I really like the idea of changing the grind on the 104 (if possible). I think that would make it a winner :thumbsup:

I'm sure there'll be great options for handles, steel and possibly blade grind? I'm sure it will be a unique Buck!

As the red powder coat has been mentioned a couple of times, and since I voted for the 104, I just wanted to make sure that all are aware that Buck now has their own Cerakote facility. The new 104 for 2019 has a black blade and is described by Buck as:
BLADE: Cerakote® Cobalt coated 5160 spring steel
HANDLE: Natural Canvas Micarta®
skblades skblades - (if this is inappropriate for the thread, please delete or let me know and I'll modify it)
OG
the black is better, but i don’t like coated blades in general. but i didn’t know this, so thanks for the info. i like the 5160 too.

skblades skblades what steel choices might be available for these?

only current steels buck uses such as 5160, d2, 20cv, cpm154, s35vn etc or maybe some other steels like aeb-l or 52100, as examples, possible? thank you Sir.

Id like a decent blue handle. In either g10 or micarta, black blade wouldn't bad in 5160.

Back