64 days to the 535BK-4: Aluminum handle, m390 Bugout

Benchmade 535BK-4
Gotta say this initial news was really exciting, with my first thought, at a quick glance was, sell the aluminum handles and put the m390 in a modded burl inlaid Rogue Bladeworks carbon fiber frame with Rogue's CF clip. Why, because I love Benchmade's m390 and stabilized wood. And while my fingers feel the difference sharpening n using their m390 and 20cv, my respect for 20cv has risen to m390 level. Benchmade's m390 seems slightly incrementally more grabby, less glid-y then 20cv, which I like. This might just be the differences in geometry?
710-1401 m390 specified HRC- 60-62
810-1401 m390 is specified at 60-62
940-1501 20cv is specified at 59-61

Then I look at the 535BK-4 handle pattern and see a node to Ritter's Hogue, wow that is a sweet looking pattern. That makes me wonder if Benchmade will optimize the m390 heat treat to Bohler's spec, as Bugout geometry makes for a great short slicer. A trip to Benchmade and Knifeworks reveals the 535BK-4 HRC spec is 58-61, and Ritter's MiniRSK 20cv is specified at an HRC of 61-62.
Hmm, $275.00 MSRP, not a limited edition, production volume costs, Bohler's m390 batch, not titanium...? Hmm, weight spec'd at 2.5oz of aluminum makes me suspect, as with most things, the question is not how fast you want to go, but how much do you want to spend (after all, Benchmade's pricing via materials, engineering, and exceptional customer services formula has been called the "butterfly tax").
Personally, I always felt Ritter's Griptillian's were a screamin value, and after market heartily agrees, even though I could not afford one; now it seems like his Hogue's follow suit, a cut that fits my budget better. And why do I say this? For the same reason Benchmade's customs can be re-bladed with a different steel, after sale mods / services can occur across time. For Benchmade's customs, the financials make sense as customer count buying into the basis. After sale's offerings bolster their excellent customer service.
For me a life time tool of heirloom quality is different then a cheap tool expected to break some time after first critical needs use, that drives many cheap purchases. With quality, I can approach milling, engraving, scales and reblade talent for modifications that factories heretofore have not offered. Of course, the various custom spaces are only getting better. As 3D printing CAD/CAM materials and technologies mature, who knows what zero gravity and extreme temperature production will yield for material sciences? After all 16-Psyhe is just waiting for an assay. :cool:

Last edited:
So...... Are you gonna get one?

I'm on the edge.......I don't think it's DLC coated like the 535-CF is. I think it's cerakote which I don't care for...... It can chip.

Kinda think a custom shop bugout in 20CV with titanium scales would be just as good if not better...... Anybody know if the black blade in the custom shop is DLC or cerakote?

Gotta decide soon for the pre-order.

Back