7/7

It’s not an easy decision. I assume second only became available while examining the knife for the pre order folks. The second knife will be ready to ship most likely. Should S!K hold second till all preorders are shipped? They have 2 group of upset customers to deal with. If they ship second along with some first, they have one lesser group of upset customers to deal with and one less inventory to manage.

Decision...decision...decision. S!K choosed the later I guess.

It’s not an easy decision. I assume second only became available while examining the knife for the pre order folks. The second knife will be ready to ship most likely.

Fine — if that’s the case. However, my understanding of the process is that the identification of some blades as seconds occurs long before the final finishing and assembly stages. I believe standard business practice would be to set identified seconds aside for completion after previously ordered and paid-for firsts are complete.

Fine — if that’s the case. However, my understanding of the process is that the identification of some blades as seconds occurs long before the final finishing and assembly stages. I believe standard business practice would be to set identified seconds aside for completion after previously ordered and paid-for firsts are complete.
As the knife is likely to go through a few stages during the manufacturing, I guess each stage has a chance to produce a seconds. You are right to say that seconds identified in the early stages of the manufacturing should be set aside. I guess these seconds that were shipped are likely to be those identified at the last few stages of the manufacturing process. Hence, the seconds are likely to be ready to be shipped when they are identified. If this is true, it’s a tough call.

With no insider info, my guess is as good as yours.

My understanding is that the scrap rate would have been too high without selling seconds and uglies.
The price for these knives is set pretty low, and I expect that the margin wouldn't cover the costs if all those blades and handles were tossed.
The decision was made (probably to improve cash flow) to start selling seconds and manufacturing them at the same time as the firsts.
Recall that these decisions were made a couple of years ago when the lead time for these knives was expected to be months, not years.
This process has continued until fairly recently when they decided to get caught up on their backlog before selling any more knives.
Eventually all of these issues will be resolved but it will still take quite some time because of that backlog.
So yes, Survive's plans were made and then revised a few times and things really haven't turned out how anybody would have wanted them to.
I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of progress when the new manufacturing process for the SK line really kicks in next year.

With much disappointment I've cancelled my 7/7 order. It was a presale from 14 months ago. I was told probably about 1-3 months for my 7/7 and with no guarantee of a sooner delivery date. I'm just assuming that whatever they are saying will probably be 2-3 times longer.

I'm pretty sure the estimate at the time was 90 days but despite this presales have seemingly been pushed right to the back of the line. They should certainly be behind the preorders but it's questionable their following f2's, which also came with a 90 day estimate. Someone please correct me if I've got the reality wrong here.

I still have a f2 2.7 and SK-6 on the order list. I'd cancel the 2.7 but resent the $25 cancellation fee, which I think is unreasonable given the waiting times and other related issues. Less issue waiting for the SK-6 given that it only has a deposit attached to it rather than full price.

I definitely have fatigue with Survive! despite arguing in support of them. I doubt that I'll ever buy something from then again that isn't already completed and ready to ship. Even then I might not due to the eroded trust. I do wonder what the long term effect on Survive! will be, to what extent the quality of their knives gives them leeway with their customers in the longterm or to what extent resolving their issues can hit the reset button, so to speak.

Survive! managed to refund my money within about a week, which is good. Another sign they've at least addressed that issue. It's noteworthy - credit given where it's due - that they appear to have resolved the refund issue and also their messaging response time is now very good.

I have a knife on order (doesnt even matter which model) from the original preorder sale which was what 2.5 years ago? I have debated cancellig a few times and decided not to. I look at it like this... My money is already gone. I parted with it a long time ago. I have survived financially with out it. If I never get it back I am not going to crumble and have to file bankruptcy. I just try to forget I even ordered it and one day it will show up.

I have considered the refund many times, not becuase the 185 i spent is needed but because I could buy a different brand (probably another Spyderco Military sprint, since I use folders much more than fixed blades)

I always come back to the fact that one day they will be shipping the model I ordered and I would want it and would be pissed about paying secondary markups or not even being able to get one.

Silver, I recently asked for a refund. Jordyn replied within a day asking if I wanted paypal or check. I asked for paypal and a few days later it was there. Now I'm sorry I did. assuaged my sorrow by getting a Sagewood for my 5. That stack of 3.5s looked so good damn.

I'm pretty sure the estimate at the time was 90 days but despite this presales have seemingly been pushed right to the back of the line. They should certainly be behind the preorders but it's questionable their following f2's, which also came with a 90 day estimate. Someone please correct me if I've got the reality wrong here.
I'm glad that Survive gave you satisfaction on the refund. I believe that the only knives that were sold with a delivery schedule were the Monday sales.
If you ordered a presale knife the expectation was that it would be shipped after all the starters and preorders. Survive states that they are currently shipping the 7/7 preorders.
I have an order for one of those 7/7 presales that I purchased in October of 2016, and I expect to be waiting for a good while yet.
Thanks for the update!

With much disappointment I've cancelled my 7/7 order. It was a presale from 14 months ago. I was told probably about 1-3 months for my 7/7 and with no guarantee of a sooner delivery date. I'm just assuming that whatever they are saying will probably be 2-3 times longer.

I still have a f2 2.7 and SK-6 on the order list. I'd cancel the 2.7 but resent the $25 cancellation fee, which I think is unreasonable given the waiting times and other related issues. Less issue waiting for the SK-6 given that it only has a deposit attached to it rather than full price.

I definitely have fatigue with Survive! despite arguing in support of them. I doubt that I'll ever buy something from then again that isn't already completed and ready to ship. Even then I might not due to the eroded trust. I do wonder what the long term effect on Survive! will be, to what extent the quality of their knives gives them leeway with their customers in the longterm or to what extent resolving their issues can hit the reset button, so to speak.

Survive! managed to refund my money within about a week, which is good. Another sign they've at least addressed that issue. It's noteworthy - credit given where it's due - that they appear to have resolved the refund issue and also their messaging response time is now very good.

I don't blame you, mumblings. I reasses my orders almost daily.

I have a knife on order (doesnt even matter which model) from the original preorder sale which was what 2.5 years ago? I have debated cancellig a few times and decided not to. I look at it like this... My money is already gone. I parted with it a long time ago. I have survived financially with out it. If I never get it back I am not going to crumble and have to file bankruptcy. I just try to forget I even ordered it and one day it will show up.

I have considered the refund many times, not becuase the 185 i spent is needed but because I could buy a different brand (probably another Spyderco Military sprint, since I use folders much more than fixed blades)

I always come back to the fact that one day they will be shipping the model I ordered and I would want it and would be pissed about paying secondary markups or not even being able to get one.

M mumblings how was your refund issued?

Riz! Riz! I'm almost of the exact same mind.

I'm pullin the plug. =(

It's not a financial decision nor am I even thinkin about the other knife I could get; it's more I don't want to wait another 2+ years for my gso 12, and who knows on the the 4.5 as well. Time to move on. Contemplating keeping the 7/7 order...sure is a cryin shame, that gso 12 was CHEAP way back then!

I understand your decision phixt. I go back and forth on my orders and honestly, my obsession with knives is kinda waning. Not in a sense I don't want great knives, but I can get along without collecting so many.

I have enough great knives it will take me forever to use them all so why am I waiting for these other ones?

I think if I could acquire a CPK NASK or HDFK or whatever it's called, I could cancel all or most of the survive knives way over schedule.

At the moment, I'm too busy with work to even think about them, but i do think I have a date. A line in the sand, when it's crossed, I'll cancel.

I'm pullin the plug. =(

It's not a financial decision nor am I even thinkin about the other knife I could get; it's more I don't want to wait another 2+ years for my gso 12, and who knows on the the 4.5 as well. Time to move on. Contemplating keeping the 7/7 order...sure is a cryin shame, that gso 12 was CHEAP way back then!

NOOOOoooooo!!! Don't pull on the 12 unless you really have to, and here is my reasoning:

1) you are absolutely right about the price being so low for a chunk of D3V that big! Is it a Starter-order? (actually, was there any other 12 order offered?) If you think you might want one later, you will lose so much pulling out now and buying back in later.
2) Millit is cutting the 3.5s and has already completed >500 of them, so S!K will be backlogged with thousands of those for a while, and they also have the 4LEs to finish out, BUT (and don't tell anyone else about this) Guy has the silly tendency to cut and finish out knives of a different model just to break the monotony of it all. About a dozen folk received 7/7s WAY ahead of everybody else because Guy was fed-up with his back-log problem and always working the same knives day after day. I suspect that we may see a few 12s surface in the midst of the 3.5s.

Now, please understand that i know that neither of the above are very strong reasons to hold out for delivery of the 12, and I also understand that expecting to glimpse a finished 12 this side of March 2018 is probably beyond optimistic, BUT... at least you won't be alone in the optimism? :D

As for the 4.5, I got nothing on that one, you should cancel it to encourage Guy to move up production of the GSO-10 ;)

But seriously, if waiting on these knives is depressing you, you have to break free :thumbsup: I am ecstatic that my F2 4.1 showed up and it reminds me of why I love these knives and why I am willing to wait, but that is me. Good luck on the final decision.

Finally found the order confirmation. Mine was camo canvas, pre-order, ordered Jan. 10, 2016. So, coming up on 20 month wait.... :\

So... coming up on 24 months I've been waiting on my pre-ordered 7/7. Sure hope I see it this year.

FWIW, I got my 7/7 today after waiting 3 years and 2 and a half months. I am glad that I didn't cancel the order. It's the only new GSO that really feels different in the hand becasue of the extra length in the handle and contouring of the scales. The difference here being the weight of the new 7/7's 7 1/4" inches of steel from the handle and the 1/4" longer handle. Even my new'ish 5.1 only feels about 10% to 15% better in hand then my old 5.1. Which is not really enough to matter to me.

However, I am pretty disappointed that it took 38.5 months to fill the order, and I am not one to complain for those who know me. Anyway, I look forward to testing and beating on it.

Back