7/7

Oh I know, I'm not saying that they should ship out 2nds first. I am just wondering how 2nds come up on the website. By assuming they will have that many, or if they have the factory 2nds picked out before they put them up on the website.
People that have been waiting two+ years definitely deserve to get their knives ASAP!

I have a question, how many of these 7/7 that OP is waiting for was ordered in total, how many was delivered to the customers to this date, how many was
sold as 2nds, and how many are still waiting for their knife?

1234,,,:)

Im not waiting anymore, i grew impatient for my 7/7 and got a refund a while back......broken promises, not cool.

I would just like to know that somebody on this forum has received a 7/7 from the pre orders. Until then who knows. I have never ordered a custom knife before and just wanted one high end survival knife. I can still wait for it. Just thought somebody may have received one by now.

I was curious. When there are factory 2nds to order on the website, like on their Wed. sales. They actually have the knives there on hand right? They go through their batch and whatever does not make the grade, gets put in the 2nd batch? Or do they just assume there will be that many factory 2nds when they are done?

S!K Production is like this (same for most companies, actually): they order steel, and that seems to ship to them from the supplier until they can ship it out to be waterjet-cut by their contractor. After cutting, knives go to heavy grinding (another contractor). After grinding, they go to Peter's HT. Then they arrive back in the shop again. Ground blanks are inspected, and those which cannot be salvaged are set aside. Those remaining are surface finished in-house and again inspected before laser-engraving and sharpening (in-house), as well as handle-fitting (they don't just throw slabs onto them, there have been fitment issues with some of the slabs not fitting quite right because they hadn't finished curing before being sent to S!K). Finally, knives are assembled-to-order with the available sheaths (made by a contractor) and inspected once more before being set aside for shipment. At each point of handling by Guy and Ellie (and whomever else they might now have on hand), there is a possibility of finding a Factory 2nd. Here is an image from their Instagram feed, 4/26:

18013587_514518502272197_9139093469858365440_n.jpg

Surface finishing madness this week in the shop. The blades with what will be the US flag side showing are ones I've identified as definite factory seconds during surface finishing. From here the blades go through a more thorough QC, followed by engraving.

What qualifies as a "second" may have to do with cutting (weird thumb notches), surface grinding (e.g. uneven bevels), finishing (odd marks, even small ones), laser-engraving (they brought this in-house specifically to reduce errors), handle fit, etc.

It has been noted that often a S!K 2nd is better F&F than a "first" from just about any other company, and they lose a LOT of money on the 2nds, but they have often resisted calls for increasing their price and instead keep trying to improve production processes (e.g. moving things in-house) to reduce errors in the first place. They did eventually raise prices somewhat, and really they just need to focus on getting orders out as quickly as possible. Lots of folk waiting, myself included :)

Based on past production, they anticipate a certain percentage of factory 2nds. When they find one, they may set it aside and then not work on it at all, but eventually they want to bring those up to completion as well (again, they find them at varying stages of production) and then get them out of the shop so they aren't an asset sitting around. And yes, they do need to keep bringing in funds to keep the lights on, so working on and selling them in the midst of production of pre-orders and presales.

The above information is gleaned from various posts by Guy and Ellie here and on Instagram, except for the part about their 2nds being as good as a lot of folks' "1sts", that's just opinions from customers. I am currently waiting on my only 2nd, a 4.1, although I have received MANY "firsts" over S!K's short time in existence, and I have a number of pre-order knives that I may not see for a long time as they continue to work on the mass of more popular models (e.g. waiting on a 12 and a 10 that haven't started production yet).

Last edited:
That's a lot of info. CPK business model has worked out quite lovely.

2 years wait for me on 2 knives, 1 year wait for 2 others; the last update read the same as in December stating the one knife is shipping...about to pull the plug on the whole thing.

Im waiting on a factory 2nd 7/7 that i ordered back in January. I have a few different survive knives and i love them all. ive had to wait in the past for them but why set a 90 day deadline for shipping and then just never update the customers and keep selling them with the 90 day promise. Clearly it isnt working out.

My new spec 5.1 took a long time to get here but i knew what i was in for when i pre-ordered. Im so glad that i didnt order the new 12 to replace my old spec 10. They might never see the light of day. Im not saying i have it worse then the people who pre-ordered but it seems like its time to expand the business and bring some more people on board. I have a gso limited on order and the time frame for that was up to a year so we'll see what happens.

6/6/17: Placed order for a 7/7 Factory 2nd.

Honestly though, I don't mind waiting - esp. if I know it'll be a long wait. As soon as I've killed enough brain cells to forget I have it on order, it'll show up and surprise the hell out of me!

There's one gentleman that received his Pre-Order 7/7 on the FB fan page a few months ago. That's the only one I know of that has been delivered.

Is the 7/7 starting to shape up like the 4.7 in delivery? Seems like a lot of talk about them getting done and shipped, yet only one has actually showed up in the wild? Are they going to finish them all, and then do a massive shipment all at once?

Is the 7/7 starting to shape up like the 4.7 in delivery? Seems like a lot of talk about them getting done and shipped, yet only one has actually showed up in the wild? Are they going to finish them all, and then do a massive shipment all at once?
I don't think anyone has any idea of what's really going on except the S!K team. I know nothing of running a business, so I can't really speculate the plan from their end. From a customer stand point it's a little bit of a tease to see 1 knife go out and then nothing for months. I'm sure there are people with knives that don't let the internet communities know about it.

Back