$700.00 on two Cutco knives???

My father gave me his knives to sharpen, and gave me two of my sisters knives by mistake. They are Cutco knives and said to be worth over $700.00. A butcher knife, even thoe I think the profile not right, and a chef knife. 440a steel, hollow ground and shallow at that. And a plastic handle to boot. All I see is two course ground knifes. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

Ron Popeil had the best salesmanship in the business. No idea where you found the 700 figure, but I think my in-laws bought a whole set for 500. I wouldn’t spend 25 bucks on those paper weights, but my in-laws were convinced they were high end knives at a reasonable price. What you’re missing is that actual quality doesn’t matter- only perceived quality matters.

I found an old cutco butcher knife with a broken handle scale in a cabin I was knocking down, sent it in and they sent me a brand new knife. Good warranty anyway, I wouldn't buy one for their asking price.

My father gave me his knives to sharpen, and gave me two of my sisters knives by mistake. They are Cutco knives and said to be worth over $700.00. A butcher knife, even thoe I think the profile not right, and a chef knife. 440a steel, hollow ground and shallow at that. And a plastic handle to boot. All I see is two course ground knifes. Am I wrong? What am I missing?
I sharpened Thousands of Cutcrap knives over a 25 year period before I retired. Some housewife’s like them because they have slender handles for their Petite hands . They are not collectable or worth much on the secondary market. Your father is mistaken On value by a few decimal points.

440a is ok for decorative knives...my mermaid is 440a lol.

Horey Shet that's too much for Cutco knives. The sales people at Costco makes me cringe when they want to demo their knives for me...

440a is ok for decorative knives...my mermaid is 440a lol.

Horey Shet that's too much for Cutco knives. The sales people at Costco makes me cringe when they want to demo their knives for me...
“You, sir… yes you… don’t you hate it when you cut through your leather work boots, but your knife is too dull afterwards to smash through a tomato?”

Hahaha, might get arrested lol, and tarnish us knife guy reputation...

I'll be sure to wear my bladeforums patch with my bladeforums shirt and sticker when I do it 👌

I have a set of cutco knives, and I don't know what my in-laws paid for this set, but the whole set might be worth $70. Way overrated.

I sharpened Thousands of Cutcrap knives over a 25 year period before I retired. Some housewife’s like them because they have slender handles for their Petite hands . They are not collectable or worth much on the secondary market. Your father is mistaken On value by a few decimal points.
When did you retire Lawrence?

KutCo is over priced. I saw their 3.5 inch paring knife is over $150.
$700 for a single butcher knife sounds about right for their greed.
Whether they are worth the asking price is another matter.

CutCo is (or was) only sold door to door; just like Kirby and ElectroLux vacuum cleaners, (which are also over priced) were.
(A Kirby was over $500 (with all accessories) the first time I went bankrupt, trying to sell them circa 1974/75.)
KutCo, Kirby, and ElectroLux carry their own paper/finance when someone buys.
Great for those with no credit that can't get a bank loan to build up their credit, so they can get a loan or credit card from a bank or other financial institution.

Last edited:
Yeah, someone told my in laws how great these were and they swallowed it hook, line and sinker. What a bunch of junk.
You can tell I'm a little bitter. It is only because I made mention of wanting a quality set of kitchen knives and my family wanted to get me something nice. They were so proud, but I feel they were taken advantage of.

Last edited:
I've known people from the Cut Co company. The whole plan was/is to send college kids out selling them door to door. Even Cut Co will tell you this all falls apart after the kids sell their parents, grand parents and maybe a few close family and friends. For most sales drop to about zero in the days that follow but Cut Co has found there are always a few hard charging "salesmen" out there that will do well with the product. The knives aren't bad just over priced. Ethan Becker told me he thought their bread knife was the best one on the market.

Back