703 question

Hello Buck Crew :),

I have a 703 with a broken spring. Would I be able to send this in to be repaired, or am I out of luck because it is a discontinued model?

I'll attach a couple pics below.

Thank you

50721341362_672ac43a2b_h.jpg[img]

My guess is that you're out of luck.

Yours might be one of the very early models as the first ones out of the factory had back spring issues.

I have a few 703's in good condition but I'm not sure if I have a pre-1986 model or not. I'd have to check but I would let one of them go if Buck can't help and you're interested.

Tatsu, welcome to the Buck forum. The 703 came out in December 1979 and they had back spring issues. Like Rail said. Write Buck a email and see what they will do for you. DM

Yes the early two spring 703's had a spring issue and the knife was upgraded and became a 3 spring knife. Anyway, I thought a 703 would be a great gift for a certain friend of mine. So I hit the resale auction sites for a purchase in my price range. The first one I got was a two spring with what I could see was a hair line crack in one of the springs. OK, I'll buy another and if it also has a bad spring they will go to Buck to see if they can make one good knife out of those two and sure enough the second one had a crack also. Then I narrowed my search to a 3 spring knife for the gift.

Now when I sent the two 703's with bad springs back I thought if I was lucky I would get one 703 back and maybe a 303 as a replacement. However, I would be ok if they sent me back replacements for both damaged knives as I understand these have been discontinued for some time now. I wrote a knife stating please try to at least make one useable 703 from the two knives and sent them in. Some time later when the box came back from BKI I was surprised to see two repaired 703's that looked like new inside.

Last edited:
I am always pleased and amazed when I read these testimonies of how Buck fulfilled lifetime warranties for customers.

Thanks to all for the replies. I just sent an email to Buck and will wait to hear back from them.

My nephew, (13), has really been getting into fishing and hunting this past year. Knowing that he did not yet have a decent knife, I asked if he would like to choose one of mine. He chose the 703. The one and only broken knife in my small collection.o_O:)

Bert,

Very kind/generous of you and I appreciate it. I have not yet heard back from Buck, but when I do, I'll let you know.

Happy holidays to you and yours and thanks again.

If Buck can't help you, I have one that is new in box that is the same age, and I would be happy to give it to your nephew so he can get started with a Buck knife. If I can help, send me an email at bertlindsay0@gmail.com.

Bert

If Buck can't help you, I have one that is new in box that is the same age, and I would be happy to give it to your nephew so he can get started with a Buck knife.
You're a terrific person, Bert!

Back