Buck 726 Mini Spitfire

I'll come right out of the gate and say it's a winner.

I bought the Buck 726 Mini Spitfire in orange a few weeks ago and have been carrying/using it a lot and in it's size-class, and all things considered, this is a very good knife. At $27USD, it's hard for me to think of how you could go wrong.

h09QPyp.jpg

I'll be the first in line (and have expressed my opinion to Buck many times) to say I have no idea why they are so married to re-curve grinds. I hate them and would buy many more Bucks it they didn't have them. The full-sized Spitfire has such a grind but on the compressed Mini, it is hardly noticeable.

QUALITY: Excellent. I think it is borderline absurd to mention blade centering on a knife in this price range but I know people consider it so in full disclosure, mine does slightly favor one side. But it does not rub at all and I think is not an issue.

The lock-up has an authoritative schtick and releases cleanly. Everything is smooth and solid. The grind is well done and the anodizing is even and beautiful. The clip works very well without being overly obtrusive.

I would be more than happy with the build quality of this knife at more than twice the price.

IN USE: This little guy has performed admirably as my relatively light-duty daily EDC. My general EDC uses don't typically require a longer blade and when I'm in the office, a smaller blade is often much better received. That said, I don't think it would be fair to relegate this knife to some thought of "dainty duty" as I think it is much more capable. No, it's not hard use, but for it's size, and again, it's price point, I think you can get a lot out of this knife.

The thumb deployment takes some focus at first. If you're off a bit in your grip, it can feel like your thumb is going to slip out of the opening slot or your fingers slip a little on the body but it's easy to adjust to. If you're a Spyderco fan like me, it's just different.

The lock releases easy enough and from pull-from-pocket, thumb open, cut the beer box, swipe on pant's leg, thumb closed, and back in pocket, it does just fine.

The "choil" is really there as a mechanical design thing and I wouldn't really recommend using as an actual finger choil.

The neutral-style handle is very comfortable in different grips.

TARGET AUDIENCE: This is a knife that is built well enough and at a price point that I think it crosses a lot of use-platforms. As said, it makes a fine light-duty EDC knife but I think that sells it short. I think for most folks it would make a fine EDC knife period. Of course those who prefer longer blades will not be as intrigued but for the average user, this is a dang capable knife.

Thinking back on my ranching, military, manufacturing and so on days, I wouldn't have any objection to using this guy.

This would also make a great gift knife, although I hate the term, a "beater" knife, car knife, just cause knife, and so on.

I put it in the byrd Robin and Spyderco Dragonfly 2 class. For me it handily beats the Robin at the same price point and has some distinct advantages over the Dfly2, although I do opt for the latter.

SUMMARY: Very well executed, user friendly, smaller knife, USA made, that is an outstanding value and shows that it can be done.

Well done Buck! :)

Last edited:
It’s good to hear that they are turning out a better product, I bought two and they had more lock rock than any lockback I’ve owned. I know they’re a budget knife, but this was nuts. I gave them to a buddy who was willing to deal with sending them to Buck, and they didn’t return in much better shape. I don’t know if he was given replacements or if they were the two I bought, but I will never buy one again.

It’s good to hear that they are turning out a better product, I bought two and they had more lock rock than any lockback I’ve owned. I know they’re a budget knife, but this was nuts. I gave them to a buddy who was willing to deal with sending them to Buck, and they didn’t return in much better shape. I don’t know if he was given replacements or if they were the two I bought, but I will never buy one again.

That's unfortunate. This one has zero play.

That's unfortunate. This one has zero play.
I probably should have mentioned that my experience was 3, maybe 4 years ago? Maybe I got a couple lemons, maybe they’re doing a better job on them, I really don’t know. Glad you got a good one, it is a nice design that’s priced right for a small user. I will agree with you on the recurve, I’m also not a fan.

I got my son a blue BSA model with engraving for his Star Scout rank. He really liked it.

I had a couple full size Spitfires a couple years ago and both had lock play. Wasn’t terrible but it was definitely noticeable. I’ve purchased a couple 2020 Spitfires lately and both have been tight with virtually no movement in the blade when locked. I believe Buck has tightened up their tolerances on these newer knives.

Back