#77 Washington Street!!

Sorry about the toolbox, Jack. I've always admired Gerstner's (expensive) models, and they have one made in Asia that has brought the price down - but I've made do with other specimen drawers.
Now don't get pinched out there!! I'm happy to have the picture!!!*
Here is a grouping of various Washington Bolsters, possibly inspired on that very street!!
Wash Collage 1.jpg

*The sign is very cool though!!

Sorry about the toolbox, Jack. I've always admired Gerstner's (expensive) models, and they have one made in Asia that has brought the price down - but I've made do with other specimen drawers.
Here is a grouping of various Washington Bolsters, possibly inspired on that very street!!
View attachment 869964

The old Gerstner's look great Charlie, but I've read a lot of negative reviews of the recently-made ones. I might see if I can get an old Moore & Wright, very pricey, but they're beautiful :) The problem for many of us here though, is that we are only going to get a fraction of our knives into one of these boxes! :rolleyes:

LOL! I'll try Charlie! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Those are beautiful knives my friend. I'm afraid that sign is in Leeds, rather than Sheffield though, Sheffield has never had a Washington Street :(

Cut from a Schrade Cut Co catalog.
View attachment 869966

Very cool Charlie, nice to see flat caps get a mention too ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
View attachment 869964

Charlie, thank you for that group picture of the Washington Jacks with its predecessors. I had really only seen the 2OT Schrades before but suspected that there were others in the family. (I admit I did not go through the entire thread but will as time permits)!!!. From the moment I began seriously looking at traditionals the 2OT then the Washington Jack's got my attention the most. I have since parted ways with a couple but I will always have some in my collection. And they are always in view and not hidden. Thank you for bringing them to fruition as this SFO.IMG_1872.JPG

It seems to have been a popular bolster for English Jacks. My favorite is the EJ from the S&M File & Wire collection.

WCDXGEr.jpg

I think I remember you telling me that the Washington Works was not on Washington Street, Jack!!??
Thanks for the great pictures, DWWEBBER!
Nice ones also, Lostball and Jeff!!

I'd sure like to see another run of the Washington Jacks done with a wharnecliff and either a sheepfoot or coping blade as a secondary.

neat! i take it those never came in single blade did they Charlie?

Not to my knowledge, Jack!! - Sorry!!:(

OOooohh, Charlie, what a dazzler!

Glad you like it Jeff! Thanks!!:thumbsup:

Charlie, your killing me AGAIN!!!

It's good you have so many lives, Lb!!:)

I'd sure like to see another run of the Washington Jacks done with a wharnecliff and either a sheepfoot or coping blade as a secondary.

DW, due to my penchant for historical accuracy (a difficult and moving target!), the only other main blade I would consider for my Diamond Jacks would be a full-sized Sheepfoot - the only other blade I have discovered in the wild in this pattern!!:rolleyes:

Thanks to all you "likers" out there!!
:D

Charlie,
Your commitment to historical accuracy is admirable. Here I was hoping that there might be the possibility of another run of Washington Jacks in the future so I suggested a wharnecliff. It seems as if any knife of recent manufacture with that blade sell very well. In hindsight I see that suggesting that blade is somewhat akin to asking Herman to put Schrade jigged bone on something other than a Schrade. My knowledge of older patterns is quite lacking so I don't know if a coping blade was ever used as second or third blade on anything other than a whittler, but it is a blade I find quite useful and would like to see one on one of your knives.

I think I remember you telling me that the Washington Works was not on Washington Street, Jack!!??
Thanks for the great pictures, DWWEBBER!
Nice ones also, Lostball and Jeff!!

Yes, it was just as the back-labels for your first run were being printed! :eek: The Washington Works was actually on Wellington Street. Long gone now, but there is still a pub across from where the factory was called 'The Washington'. George Wostenholm speculated in building property on what was then the edge of Sheffield, and was influenced by his many transatlantic trips. So, there is a Washington Road, pretty run-down these days I'm afraid.

Kenwood Estate 1853.jpg

Wostenholm's house, Kenwood Hall, is shown at the bottom right hand corner of the map of the estate above. It still stands today, and is a hotel.

You're showing some beautiful knives Charlie :thumbsup:

Back in 2016 somebody told me there might be a run in 2018.. it's been a long 3 years since the last Washington Jacks. I can't say enough how much I like the last run. They are hard to come by. I love seeing pictures of the cocobolo.. wish I had one.

"Charlie, that may be the Washington Jack I loaned you awhile back. o_O;)
Let me know when you're finished looking at it. :eek:;):)"

Ha ha!! Redsparrow; with my memory it could be!!!:D

Thanks for the nice comments, DW. I too like coping blades. I've done a bunch of finish carpentry in my younger years, and had a couple I liked a lot. Other SFOs from GEC have used them as secondaries I believe. I think a #38 pattern with a Wharncliffe and a coping blade would be the ideal Carpenter's knife. Northwoods' Willamette comes to mind, although their pen blade is a little short to do a "cut-off" operation on. You would wind up with a short but effective coping blade.
Thanks again for keeping me on the straight and narrow road, Jack. Many is the time you have kept inaccurate information from being disseminated into the world!!:thumbsup:
So many knives to make, so little time!:eek: I hope to make another WJ, cbr1000!!!

Back