#78 American Jack

Actually there were 3, only 5 of the red bone are out there so that will make it pretty difficult to get an example of every 78 in this run.

View attachment 830958
Beside the cool factor of having 3 blades, it's the only 78 from this run that's a bare head. Love me some bare head.

Interesting, though, that they call it the "Yankee whittler" when the 77 was the Yankee and the 78 the American.

I am patiently waiting for my single blade ebony. I REALLY WISHED I reserved a single blade in stag but I was too late. At least I have one 78 coming.

Beside the cool factor of having 3 blades, it's the only 78 from this run that's a bare head. Love me some bare head.

Interesting, though, that they call it the "Yankee whittler" when the 77 was the Yankee and the 78 the American.

Yea, I like the bare heads also. The original Maher&Grosh that this knife is based on was called the Yankee Whittler, has nothing to do with pattern number. The current Maher&Grosh Company is trying to recreate some of the original patterns as close as possible.

Reactions: HWF
OK, just picked out my single blade stag from CK. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to go back and grab a pic, so I'll just have to wait and hope it looks as good as I remember.

Yea, I like the bare heads also. The original Maher&Grosh that this knife is based on was called the Yankee Whittler, has nothing to do with pattern number. The current Maher&Grosh Company is trying to recreate some of the original patterns as close as possible.
Ah, I suspected this might be it. But I'm not well-aquainted wit M&G's historic catalog. Makes perfect sense, though. Really love the 54 moose they did and this Yankee whittler.

These 78s have been a great ride. :)

Well, after saying over and over that I was done with the 78’s, what did I do? I just bought a single blade Stag of course!

They hit Barry’s site and started selling like hot cakes. Something came over me, and, before I knew it, I reached for my wallet. I looked as quickly as I could and snagged the one that appeared the best to me. It seemed to have lots of color, character, and symmetry. But, I cannot say for sure, because I had to pay quickly. I took forever to get my information filled in. This is when knives usually disappear from my shopping cart; stolen by someone who types quicker. But I got it this time. Then it was all over in an instant, and the photos of the knife I purchased disappeared.

So, now I will have to wait a few days to see exactly what I bought. I hope it is a fine piece of Stag, but I really do not know. Barry says it was a good one, and he is a professional. BTW, his new website looks great and performs well.

I will post photos when I get it.

This run must end, or I will be done for the year!

Last edited:
Haha! Congrats and condolences Leslie Tomville Leslie Tomville . I noticed those went FAST. I was tempted to order a second when I saw how nice some of those were. Then I noticed they were going going gone. It’ll be fun to see the variety of these that show up here. Again. :)

I got my Kifer SFO today. Only took one day to get here since Gary only lives about 20 miles away.

It's a numbered run and I ended up with lucky number 7! I can't believe how much I like this one since i'm normally lukewarm at best on acrylic covers. I love the shield too.

slis14.jpg

I got my Kifer SFO today. Only took one day to get here since Gary only lives about 20 miles away.

It's a numbered run and I ended up with lucky number 7! I can't believe how much I like this one since i'm normally lukewarm at best on acrylic covers. I love the shield too.

slis14.jpg
Really cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

slis14.jpg

Wow! Looks great. Mine will be here tomorrow. Phone is all set for delivery notification from the USPS so I can leave work to grab it.

I was looking at pics of the '14 run of 78's today and it looks like the middle pins were a tad higher than the current run. Has anybody else noticed it?

I just gave a new single blade jigged bone 78 as a gift, and it was perfect.

I am a little frustrated that no stag single blade 78s are for sale.

The single blade 78 is a very nice knife. My favorite GEC so far.

Back