#78 American Jack

Very good Pen blades on this pattern, bit like a modified Pen as seen on the CASE Texas Jack, a welcome development.

Fine Primitive on your knife Jeff, that stuff can actually outshine Stag at times. I have a 26 with it and it's fantastic bone.

Thanks, Will

I like the primitive bone on that one! If I were buying another it would like that one! Have fun with it, I love mine! Steven

It's hard for an amateur such as me to capture the beauty of a knife such as this
AmericanJack001a_zps6bed1c3c.jpg

AmericanJack002a_zpsc18ec2e4.jpg

For reference, here it is beside a GEC #15 Boys Knife
AmericanJack003a_zps7f86d22e.jpg

And here in between a GEC #15 Boys Knife and a GEC #15 TC Barlow/Charlow
AmericanJack004a_zpsb38c7069.jpg

Thanks to Derrick (okbohn) for the opportunity to own one of these in elephant ivory... and Bill Howard and his world-class cutlers for their exceptional craftsmanship.

Those are some great looking jacks in a classic pattern! Having seen the with/without shield versions, I definitely like the shields better, and the swedged clip blades with long pulls. Guess I must prefer the Northfield trim line over Tidioute.

It's hard for an amateur such as me to capture the beauty of a knife such as this
AmericanJack001a_zps6bed1c3c.jpg

AmericanJack002a_zpsc18ec2e4.jpg

For reference, here it is beside a GEC #15 Boys Knife
AmericanJack003a_zps7f86d22e.jpg

And here in between a GEC #15 Boys Knife and a GEC #15 TC Barlow/Charlow
AmericanJack004a_zpsb38c7069.jpg

Thanks to Derrick (okbohn) for the opportunity to own one of these in elephant ivory... and Bill Howard and his world-class cutlers for their exceptional craftsmanship.

Great comparison shots of a stunning knife Al. If anyone asked me what the difference was between Northfield and Tidioute lines I'd show them your pic's.

Sam

I will be the 1st to say that they are beautiful knifes. But the main blade nail pull sits behind the pen secondary blade, at such an position that your thumb nail has to go straight angle to try and open. The pull on my Northfield is a 9 to 10, as I can't even get it to budge with my thin thumb nails. Tried with both thumbs with no luck. I will be selling mine and will think long and hard before I will buy another GEC product. I have over 25 GEC knives at this moment. Most are OK on the pull. I kinda expect a little harder pull on a large 23, 73 54 pattern knife. So if you are thinking about this pattern you might want to hold one in your hand and try 1st hand.
Harold

I will be the 1st to say that they are beautiful knifes. But the main blade nail pull sits behind the pen secondary blade, at such an position that your thumb nail has to go straight angle to try and open. The pull on my Northfield is a 9 to 10, as I can't even get it to budge with my thin thumb nails. Tried with both thumbs with no luck. I will be selling mine and will think long and hard before I will buy another GEC product. I have over 25 GEC knives at this moment. Most are OK on the pull. I kinda expect a little harder pull on a large 23, 73 54 pattern knife. So if you are thinking about this pattern you might want to hold one in your hand and try 1st hand.
Harold

Send it back and tell them to correct it. Not a big deal - a hassle yes, but if you really like the knife send it back and have them fix that super-heavy pull. JMHO as I'd like to see you enjoy it if it's what you wanted.

I looked at 3 different #78's last Saturday at my local brick & mortar. Every one of them were way to stiff for this old man to open. Shame because I was really ready to pull the trigger on one of them.

Bob

Harold

The main is a 7-9 pull for sure. Dealers probably need to start noting if it has a hard snap. I put "gator snap / half stops" (combination exacerbates) in my description because I noticed they were geared toward the tough thumb folks. If it is only the access, you can drop the pen a little; but if you still wouldn't like the pull I would just get a refund if I were you.

87fd4dc0-407c-4128-a551-7c2c9e97f9ae_zps4ac9e17a.jpg

f40a4616-94b2-43a9-86d2-8b5bb43e0141_zps250253c5.jpg

876cf7b0-1fe7-4f82-b194-2be2e6c208db_zps596adf76.jpg

Pulls are a 6 or 7 on the pen and the main it was a 9 now a 8. I've been leaving it open and then working the blades. Still hard to open it but its possible.
So if you get one be prepared to break it in or send it back to gec to have them lighten it up. I would rather have to hard then to weak springs tho. Other than the pull problem the things basically perfect wonderful bone and jigging only one small gap where the bolster meets the spacer. They are denting the bolsters where they meet the bone like case does don't know if thats new or not but thats to be noted. Great knife if you can get passed the pull!

Last edited:
I have two tidioutes in the mail,this sure has me wondering, if I made a mistake? They do look like the perfect size I'm looking for though.

Back