#78 American Jack

The bolsters being dimpled or pinched has nothing to do with the action of the blades. Just think these must be set at a stronger tension than what they normally do.

I admit I was surprised that the pull was as hard as my 54 Harness Jack had been when I first got the 54. After thorough cleanings of the 54 and regular light use, it opens with relative ease. I believe the 78 will end up the same way. Still, part of it -- for me -- is "get your mind right" :) ... especially rotating the 54/78 behind, say, a TC Barlow or Schrade 8OT.

I would agree, most of my GECs have given a little over time. I own roughly 20 or so different ones, 15s to 23s.

87fd4dc0-407c-4128-a551-7c2c9e97f9ae_zps4ac9e17a.jpg

I'd opened a number of tabs, lost track of which thread I was viewing, and was perplexed by your pictures-- what knife could this be? It has the pleasing proportions of the (much smaller) #25, but all growed up. I really like it!

All told, this seems a much 'heavier' knife than I'd envisioned when looking at my #79 whittler (which has very pleasant pulls) and dreaming of a jack knife on the same frame. I am disappointed to hear that the blades/pulls are almost universally a struggle. I hope yours become manageable over time-- the knife sure looks good. :thumbup:

Thanks for the pictures.

~ P.

FWIW, I'm just an office drone and not out driving steel rods into rocks for a living, but I just don't find mine all that difficult to open. Maybe I got lucky, but if someone can easily open a 23 or one of those WLST 25s, this one should be fine. Granted, it has a stronger pull than most GECs of similar size, and I think the crisp half stop amplifies that, but don't be scared off from getting one if you desire it.

Thanks! If the pulls weakin out it will be a great knife! Mabey they will do a new run with weaker springs and even a spear main?..with all the complaints but who knows?

Wow those are really nice! A larger working jack with smooth lines so that it carries nice in the pocket, and feels good in the hand. And the bigger pen blade looks plenty useful too.

Everybody's different, I prefer it to be a little tough at first then ease in to comfort later.

Mine arrived today so apologies...., glory pic's!

I thought I'd be really taken with this pattern an I am! Looking forward to seeing single and ez open variations on the horizon. For those interested the jack carries very well, I'm trying to recall the dimensions of the #85, these are closer than I thought. If someone had a comparison pic that would be great:)

I agree that the spring for the main makes a strong pull, similar to my #54 Harness Jack. Maybe a smidge lighter. GEC have done a nice job of rounding the corners between the half stops, meaning blade opening is already smooth and will only get smoother:). Its length together with rounded ends means despite the extra frame width of the pen it loses itself in the pocket well. I imagine the weight is similar to a #79. Lastly, I really like the pen, not only a useful length but it also tucks into the frame well. I've still rounded off both tangs as with all my knives but you barely notice the pen at all:)

Last edited:
Take a look on page 5 of this thread. I posted a few pics of the 78, 79, and 85 together.

Thanks Blaine, I had an inkling that was the case. Should have looked back through! Useful pic's, very similar frame size to the #85

I just picked this up the other day. I got to see it on person at the GEC booth at a show here in Pittsburgh. I really liked how the dye took on the mark side. The pile side is a bit darker and more uniform in color. I like this one in hand, very substantial. The large pen will be very handy for dirty stuff like boxes and mail. Leaving the clip main free for foodstuffs. At least that's how I think it will go. ;)

Great find, I like the way GEC did the non consistent jigging on this one!:thumb up: That should age nicely over the next several years. If you don't have a shield on a knife, the jigging should IMO speak very loudly and this one does indeed.

Just got this today

9FA05726-33D5-4121-B758-1D05F53779AB.jpg

Really love this knife!!! It's substantial but very well proportioned and while the pull is firm, it's not the nail breaker I feared it might be. Both blades came super sharp out of the tube (yeah, I was surprised too) and it just feels great in hand. This might be my new favorite pattern.

Until this knife I've never found something bigger than 3.5" closed that I liked, this has done it!

I guess I am firmly in the other school of thought on the pen blade arrangement. Oh well, I've always tended to go against the grain.

Ed J

Yes, the Viper should be a sweet pattern! :thumbup::thumbup:

Yup, both blades will open from the same side; I'm glad they made it this way as I've always disliked having to turn the knife over to open the pen blade, but there are two schools of thought on which side the pen should open. The Case 99 and 31 both need to be turned. :(

Still love that pattern? I got mine almost 2 months ago and agree with everything you said about it. Firm pull and snap, heavy duty and very beautiful knife in African Blackwood. I don't think I will get tired of this one.

Just got this today

9FA05726-33D5-4121-B758-1D05F53779AB.jpg

Really love this knife!!! It's substantial but very well proportioned and while the pull is firm, it's not the nail breaker I feared it might be. Both blades came super sharp out of the tube (yeah, I was surprised too) and it just feels great in hand. This might be my new favorite pattern.

Until this knife I've never found something bigger than 3.5" closed that I liked, this has done it!

I should have replied with quote (still new at this forum stuff)

Still love that pattern? I got mine almost 2 months ago and agree with everything you said about it. Firm pull and snap, heavy duty and very beautiful knife in African Blackwood. I don't think I will get tired of this one.

Back