#78 American Jack

Thanks Mark! Yeah that Emperor Oak leaf is quite a shield. I know a lot of the new kids didn't like the hotdog shield on the single and two blade #78s, but I believe the simple shields are better than the more elaborate ones. I seem to remember DLT also did an SFO in the #54 pattern, with this same combination of Appaloosa bone and leaf shield, correct? Wasn't it sporting a single spear blade as well? Anyway if my mailman will show up today, I should get the smooth white bone, two blade #78, and be CF it in no time at all!

Here's the seller's pic of the #78 DLT Trading SFO, smooth Appaloosa bone I just bought. If it's anywhere close to the Kifer SFO I just received, I should be pretty well shod!:D Also have a 2 blade #78 in smooth white cow bone coming in today, stay tuned!
Very nice Appaloosa Perry! Congrats!!
I am staying tuned and looking forward to seeing your pics of both of those new 78s.

Desert Ironwood
qBAWZZI.jpg

Very nice Appaloosa Perry! Congrats!!
I am staying tuned and looking forward to seeing your pics of both of those new 78s.

Desert Ironwood
qBAWZZI.jpg

I've held a couple of the 78s and thought about snagging one of the SFOs, but really and truly I think I'd only be able to hold onto that ironwood version. They have great action and are the perfect size, but I just don't seem to enjoy the spear points (my own flaws in taste, admittedly). But for ironwood like that, I'd almost carry a broken blade.

Thanks Mark! Yeah that Emperor Oak leaf is quite a shield. I know a lot of the new kids didn't like the hotdog shield on the single and two blade #78s, but I believe the simple shields are better than the more elaborate ones. I seem to remember DLT also did an SFO in the #54 pattern, with this same combination of Appaloosa bone and leaf shield, correct? Wasn't it sporting a single spear blade as well? Anyway if my mailman will show up today, I should get the smooth white bone, two blade #78, and be CF it in no time at all!
Yes, DLT did use an Oak Leaf shield and Appaloosa bone on a single blade 54 SFO. (Mark, hope you don't mind my answering) Perry, I like the Hotdog shield... it tends to give brand recognition. It may be considered plain by some but to others it's understated elegance is quite classy.

I've held a couple of the 78s and thought about snagging one of the SFOs, but really and truly I think I'd only be able to hold onto that ironwood version. They have great action and are the perfect size, but I just don't seem to enjoy the spear points (my own flaws in taste, admittedly). But for ironwood like that, I'd almost carry a broken blade.
LOL !! Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Hey thanks, Paul! I just wanted to get a few and knew which ones I wanted. I lucked out on a trade for the 2 blade version and then payed up for the other two. However I don't feel I over payed by too much because these Northfield #78s are literally the supreme cutler's knife, IMO!

Added a few more to the pile, including a M&G which I really appreciated the feel and quality, but two too many blades for me, also I’m not much for etching so down the road it went. Added the Northfield Jig Bone, the Black Micarta SFO, and finally landed an SFO Ironwood! All in all there were 14 single blade versions in this incredible run, and a whopping 28 individual knives run on the 78 pattern from GEC when including the two blade, Northwoods, and M&G variants. I may be done, I should be done, but there are 4 more singles out there…;)

5mIqYBV.jpg

I've appreciated run statistics on other patterns so I figured it'd be good to have the info on the 78's pulled together now that production numbers are out. I read that the Northfield numbers were lost at GEC due to a computer error. Nevertheless, I believe this wraps up the amazing run of 78's, finger's crossed another epic run won't be too far down the line.

GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY #78 AMERICAN JACK (2017-2018)

Single Blade:
Tidioute Cocobolo (239)
Tidioute Smooth White Bone (298)
Tidioute Elderberry Jig bone (260)
Tidioute SFO Knives Ship Free Blue Camel Bone (100)
Tidioute SFO The Knife Connection Desert Ironwood (100)
Tidioute SFO Grand Prairie Knives Black Canvas Micarta (99)
*Tidioute Rendezvous 2018 Gliter Gold Acrylic (25)

Northfield UN-X-LD Gabon Ebony (?)
Northfield UN-X-LD Golden Brown Jig Bone (285)
Northfield UN-X-LD Sambar Stag (?)
Northfield UN-X-LD SFO DLT Smooth Appaloosa Bone (100)
Northfield UN-X-LD SFO Kifer Cutlery Tortoise Shell Acrylic (98)
Northfield UN-X-LD SFO C Risner Red Linen Micarta (100)
Northfield UN-X-LD SFO Collector Knives Natural Linen Micarta (100)
Northfield UN-X-LD SFO SMKW Chestnut Peach Seed Bone (100)

Two Blade:
Tidioute Cocobolo (218)
Tidioute Smooth White Bone (191)
Tidioute Elderberry Jig bone (212)

Northfield UN-X-LD Gabon Ebony (?)
Northfield UN-X-LD Golden Brown Jig Bone (?)
Northfield UN-X-LD Sambar Stag (?)

Maher & Grosh - Yankee Whittler 3 Blade:
Cocobolo (103)
Antique Yellow Jig Bone (114)
Red Bone (7)

Northwoods - Big Bay:
Green Burlap Micarta (106)
Mammoth Ivory (99)
Red Burlap Micarta (90)
Black Linen Micarta (100)
Giraffe Bone (72)

c4LJnRq.jpg