#78 American Jack

TocSjEd.jpg
Wow :thumbsup::thumbsup: beautiful example

A little late to the party.
x6Vrgir.jpg

Just added the Elderberry today. Last one out there I think. I have had the Cocobolo for a little over a year now and it rides with me by far more than anything else I own. I know the collectors here on the porch will think the wood is plain and dark however that is exactly what I like about it. It feels like it is 50 years old to me. Also a 2 blade fan so I wanted to complete the Tidioute set before they were all gone, love all three. Just need to get the other two as smooth as the Cocobolo. I can actually pinch the main open on that because it is so smooth.

A little late to the party.
x6Vrgir.jpg

Just added the Elderberry today. Last one out there I think. I have had the Cocobolo for a little over a year now and it rides with me by far more than anything else I own. I know the collectors here on the porch will think the wood is plain and dark however that is exactly what I like about it. It feels like it is 50 years old to me. Also a 2 blade fan so I wanted to complete the Tidioute set before they were all gone, love all three. Just need to get the other two as smooth as the Cocobolo. I can actually pinch the main open on that because it is so smooth.
Grats on your find :thumbsup: Lookin' good!
OG

Just purchased my first American Jack and I really like it. 2 bladed Golden Brown Jigged Bone. I'm going to enjoy this beauty for a while and start to look for a single bladed version.

Camillus, the consistently best action I've encountered from GEC is their 440C #48 Trapper pattern.
5 pulls and buttery smooth with great snap, but this 78 is close.

I own five or more of the recent 78s. Are there similar single blade jacks in stainless manufactured by anyone out there today? I was watching an episode of Jack Ryan a couple of nights back and one of the terrorists used a nice jack knife to open a package of SIM cards. Just made me wonder what brand it may have been.

Just curious. Thanks!

,,,Mike in Canada

tidioute-78-american-jack-pheasant-feather-acrylic-31.jpg

1 of 21. I can't believe I won the bid on this one. I went with a late impulse bid (it was still in my budgeted range) and it stood. No tube perhaps played a part since collectors usually want the whole package. I’ve never had the pheasant feather acrylic before. I really liked the hummingbird acrylic I had on the 35 (now long since gone). These 78s are about the perfect size for my taste and I’m excited to get one with a clip point and nail nick.

edit: the picture is an old dealer picture, not the knife I bought. I’ll post that when it comes.

I own five or more of the recent 78s. Are there similar single blade jacks in stainless manufactured by anyone out there today? I was watching an episode of Jack Ryan a couple of nights back and one of the terrorists used a nice jack knife to open a package of SIM cards. Just made me wonder what brand it may have been.

Just curious. Thanks!

,,,Mike in Canada
The closest thing I've seen is a single blade Barlow, which is smaller, of course (or larger), or a doctor's knife, which is narrower. Many of the French patterns are single bladed, but longer and not as flat. Maybe a Pradel, perhaps by Au Sabot? A little bigger than the 78.
[Except I think Sabot's Pradel is one of two patterns they make in carbon instead of stainless. Sorry, that was a pretty good idea for a minute.]

Back