7OT or 7-OT

I've seen both of these designations stamped on the Old Timer 7OT. Some have the dash while others do not. Any reasoning to this?

No, not really. The first was just how it was written up on the new product sheet and how the tang stamp was made. Later when a new stamp was made, they simply left off the "-". It was also always a sticking point with the ad copy guys. Early on we see the "80T" as opposed to the "8OT", and the "580T" instead of the "58OT". I don't suppose the company really cared as long as they sold the knives. "LB7", LB-7" is another example.

Michael

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the company and its' practices with me and others. I was fascinated with Schrade since I got my first knife (LB8) when I was fifteen from my father. What a birthday gift that was! So, the 7OT without the dash would be a later model. There is really no way to tell when these were produced but the dash can give a time frame as well if it is stainless or carbon steel.

G'Day, the 7-OT can accurately be dated from 1979 issue as there is a Schrade 75th Anniversary Model 7-OT with 4 pins < meaning 1904 to 1979>the 7OT Cave Bears were later tang stamps with 3 pins Robert Clemente says first date of production 1991 High Carbon Steel until 1996 when factory produced Schrade + Stainless Steel. There is no + on Schrade on the 1979 model = High Carbon Steel. Both tang stamps and blade etch are on my corner on Larry's site. When I first started collecting I found it strange that the LB7 and 7-OT went head to head as selling rivals as both are essentially so similar lock backs/clip blades both blades 3 3/4",both 5" closed including similar/identical sheaths. Hoo Roo

Last edited:
G'Day, the 7-OT can accurately be dated from 1979 issue as there is a Schrade 75th Anniversary Model 7-OT with 4 pins < meaning 1904 to 1979>the 7OT Cave Bears were later tang stamps with 3 pins

I am a bit confused.Are you saying the carbon 7-OT has 4 pins, and the stainless 7OT has 3?

My carbon 7-OT , 3 pins.

7OT.jpg

G'Day Todd, I didnt want to confuse further by pointing out there are actually 3 configuration of pins on the 7-OT and 7OT. If you want to see them all page 8 of 18 of Schrades R Us ...Collectors Corner...Larry H Downunder..you will see them all.There are two 4 pin 7-OTs shown which are identical to the LB7 4 pin configuration of the same production period. A 3 pin identical to yours and then the much later as described above which has different 3 pin configuration to them all!. Hoo Roo

I picked up a schrade usa 7-OT with 3 pins today. I was reading through this forum to pinpoint age if possible. Mine has the 7-OT and no + after schrade, & 3 pins. Any help on how to determine production date timeframe? Also any suggestions on how to clean the steel, without causing damage?

Likely 1991 to 1995 with High Carbon Steel clip blade.From 1996 to factory closure 2004 they were Schrade+ Stainless Steel.Its also likely the modern 3 pin 7OT configuration changed in 1996 and remained until 2004,so yours is more than likely the previous 7-OT 3 pin configuration identical to Todd's above.All likely scenarios as with Schrade as soon as you believe something with certainty you will almost certainly find an example that goes against the theory.
Aussie Timstools is a regular little cleaning buff and should be along shortly to advise steel cleaning.
Welcome jrwier. Hoo Roo

thank you for the clarification. new to the knife world, but just find this old timer model to be a beauty. what about age on a schrade USA 7-OT with 4 pins? thank you again for the post.

from 1979 as above. the 7-OT was introduced at the 75th Schrade anniversary in 1979 with 4 pins and high carbon clip blade.I personally find the Rosewood LB7 or Staglon LB8 sits smoother in my hand in use than the sawcut delrin Old Timer 7OT,but its purely a matter of personal choice they are all good quality knives for their issue prices.The 7-OT issue price in 1991 was $42.95 and in 2004 was $54.95 both including sheaths.The LB7 was issued in 1979 for $32.95 and 2004 was $59.95 including sheaths. The LB8 was $62.95 when it was dropped from production in 2001 "officially" but it had really stopped production in the late 1990's,which is why you see far more LB7's than LB8's. You also see many LB8 Uncle Henry's with LB7 blades in the later years as Schrade used up their final stocks.Although the LB8 was officially issued in 1982 we have examples of the first LB8 Uncle Henry Staglons in the South/North Carolina etc etc issues with 2 knives back in 1979. 1979 was obviously a defining year for Schrade for design and production. Hoo Roo

Last edited:
Brought up re the recent discussion High Carbon Steel V Schrade + Steel...on the 7OT/7-OT....some dates and info from much earlier discussion...Hoo Roo

on change might be the made the LB 7 blades were not later but of the first run for the LB 8's. i have a very early serial number with the LB 7 blade and also one of the dixie series knives with LB 7 blades.

the 7-OT was introduced at the 75th Schrade anniversary in 1979
But the 7OT existed before then, correct?
My memory may be fading, but I recall carrying a 7OT (or maybe it was an LB7) starting around 1968 or 1969, when I was in 8th or 9th grade, through at least 2014 or 2015.
I know I had a 7OT during high school from 1971 to 1974.

(Sorry about reviving such an old thread. :( )

No prob, knife learning is good! My OTs dont say China but I got them after the closure so... I now have to look up a #7 .... ;)

No prob, knife learning is good! My OTs dont say China but I got them after the closure so... I now have to look up a #7 .... ;)
I still have a (USA) 6OT and 7OT. I located them in my desk drawer in Idaho, a couple years after I retired from driving over the road expedited straight truck.
I'll admit I did but a Taylor Schrade 7OT and LB7 while on the road, at a couple truck stops. I needed a good knife. I was not aware at the time that Schrade (USA) had shut down.
(Yeah. I over-paid for them. Truck stops are not known for "bargains" nor for charging MSRP on most things)

Now all I need to do is figure out (a) How I got a 7OT or LB7 years before they hit the market. or (b) What lockback I had, since the Buck was more than I had to spend. So was the Puma ... and I don't recall if any of the stores like Paul's Discount (where I bought most, if not all of my knives) even sold the Puma brand. They didn't sell Case, that I recall.

(Paul's had a huge sporting goods department. Over half the store it was.)

Last edited:
Back