80CrV2 and Micarta Trail Knife

Here is a piece I finished recently. Call it a light chopper, a trail knife, hunter or something else. It has great balance and feels great in the hand. Enjoy (I hope).

Specs:
Blade Steel: 80Crv2, finished to 800X
Blade Length: 7&1/16" tip to guard
Blade thickness: 1/4" at the spine
Guard: Stainless with black G10 and copper spacers
Handle: Natural canvas Micarta with copper pin
OAL: 12&1/4"
Sheath: Hand stitched leather with pigskin lining, custom black G10 and copper belt stud

uSkszEi.jpg

Xzj0zM1.jpg

8xsoPzZ.jpg

qXOIpXY.jpg

LIfvA0t.jpg

w2yiE2j.jpg

Last edited:
What they said!

feels to me like your characterization is apt. My experience with 80CrV2 has been really good, for the use this knife should be destined for. Do you take trades? :)

Excellent!
If it was mine, there would only be 2 small changes, sharpened swedge, and a very slightly longer guard to extend a bit past the heel.
And those only wishes.

feels to me like your characterization is apt. My experience with 80CrV2 has been really good, for the use this knife should be destined for. Do you take trades? :)
Thanks Lorien! Ha! Not taking trades at this time. :) Trying to save up some cash for machinery. Besides I kinda wanted to hang onto this one for myself. But one of our forum friends here said I'm not allowed to keep it :mad: So.....who knows?

Excellent!
If it was mine, there would only be 2 small changes, sharpened swedge, and a very slightly longer guard to extend a bit past the heel.
And those only wishes.
Thank you. The reasons why the knife wasn't made exactly the way you described were as follows. First, the swedge wasn't designed for cutting as it is way too shallow to cut well if sharpened. Also, in NY where I am, a sharpened swedge/false edge puts it in the "Dirks and Daggers" category which is no bueno here. The guard could have been another mm or so longer but I didn't want it to extend beyond the cutting edge in case the knife would be used for food prep. I can make those changes for yours though 😁.

Thanks Lorien! Ha! Not taking trades at this time. :) Trying to save up some cash for machinery. Besides I kinda wanted to hang onto this one for myself. But one of our forum friends here said I'm not allowed to keep it :mad: So.....who knows?
totally joking, I know how it is:thumbsup:

what purpose does keeping it serve if someone wants to buy it? If you want to keep your own knives, you can't let anyone see them

what purpose does keeping it serve if someone wants to buy it? If you want to keep your own knives, you can't let anyone see them
Well, I get enjoyment out of them too. It's not fun watching every single one go out the door. But it is satisfying finding them good homes. You're right though. I might have to make a couple of secret knives just for me. ;) I posted this one on my site.

Don't listen to that jerk. 😁

Follow your heart.

Every knife should be set out like it's intended for you, and by the time you're finished with it, it's out of you, and needs to be someone else's so you can start the next one. 🙂

Sweet work, Marc. I hope it makes you happy, even if it doesn't end up yours.

Back