#81 Bull Moose Thread

Stropping Young Lad

Gold Member
From Winston Churchill to Teddy Roosevelt, these recent GEC offerings are conjuring up thoughts of some of my favorite historical figures!

Anyway, with Tidioute production photos rolling on the 81, I imagine we’ll see our first cover with the Bull Moose within a week from today.

So! Which one are you down for? Appaloosa Bone is probably the one for me.

A little decoration for the first post:

IMG_1689-1.jpg

I am in for a Natural Micarta, NF Jigged Bone, and standby for a stag. This bone looks nice, still wondering what the NF jigged bone will be.

I am in for a Micarta, NF Jigged Bone, and standby for a stag. This bone looks nice, still wondering what the NF jigged bone will be.

Which Micarta? ;)

I’m pretty excited about the Appaloosa. It’s a cover I like, but the cover and pattern never matched up as a must-buy for me, so I’m excited to get my first.

I was considering the stag, but I might get a stag fix with the 43 instead.

Edited my original post, the Natural Micarta, I love how it changes over time. I too like the Appaloosa, looked great on the 54 Single jack, but, I can't have them all. Natural Micarta is a must for me, and I love the jigged bone that GEC has been doing lately, hell the jigging on the Tidioute looks awesome, I would love a Hemlock green like the latest 66s.

Edited my original post, the Natural Micarta, I love how it changes over time. I too like the Appaloosa, looked great on the 54 Single jack, but, I can't have them all. Natural Micarta is a must for me, and I love the jigged bone that GEC has been doing lately, hell the jigging on the Tidioute looks awesome, I would love a Hemlock green like the latest 66s.

I have one of those hemlocks, and the phrase “cold dead hands” comes to mind. It’s probably my favorite shade of “green”.

I am still on the fence in regards to the Bull Moose. To be honest, I am rather bummed that they didn't do a Stockman with this frame like they have before so it just means I must wait that much longer to get a large Stockman made by GEC. I am not sold on the blade configuration as I don't necessarily see the point. In my opinion, it would have been better to do a clip or spear with a straight edged as a second.

That all being said though, I like the serpentine frame and I am extremely tempted to pick one up in Osage Orange, simply because that cover material intrigues me. Despite my reservations, it will undoubtedly be a useful knife and if I do not pull the trigger on one, I likely might regret it.

Last edited:
I am still on the fence in regards to the Bull Moose. To be honest, I am rather bummed that they didn't do a Stockman with this frame like they have before so it just means I must wait that much longer to get a large Stockman made by GEC. I am not sold on the blade configuration as I don't necessarily see the point. In my opinion, it would have been better to do a clip or spear with a straight edged as a second.

That all being said though, I like the serpentine frame and I am extremely tempted to pick one up in Osage Orange, simply because that cover material intrigues me. Despite my reservations, it will undoubtedly be a useful knife and I do not pull the trigger on one, I likely might regret it.

The 81 and 82 Stockman Knives are just aching to be made again, I agree.

I’m trying not to get too caught up on it, though. I’ve never had a moose, partially for the reason you mentioned. I like the size on this one though, so I think I’ll end up liking it.

I'm pretty partial to Moose patterns myself. I've got a 54, a 66, and a 76. So I'm definitely picking up an 81 Tidioute in Osage orange, and maybe a Northfield in ebony. Can't wait.

So many nice handle choices in this run, I am just going to have to wait and see how they all finish out. Shields may also play a big part in the selection process, the Tidioute jigged bone would have been at the top of the list if it was wearing a Federal shield. Heck, if they can justify a banana shield a nice moose shield could've had real potential on this pattern?

I, for one, am a big fan of a proper Moose. These are no nonsense work knives which I love. A big spear for heavy work and a fine pointed clip for a little more finesse and food prep. I love my #54 Moose and this one is a little more svelte and curvy while matching the blade length. I expect to like this one a lot, maybe more so than my Abilene.

I am curious if the Northfield Jigged Bone will be Yellow Rose? Wasn't there a "What's at the end of the hall? picture a little while back of a Moose holding a Yellow Rose?

I’m down for Appaloosa. Wanted canvas micarta too, but I have to spread out funds for all the 78’s coming .

I thought the moose was smoking a cigar?

I'm going with Appolosa bone and Stag. Lots of great options, it was tough to pick.

I am curious if the Northfield Jigged Bone will be Yellow Rose? Wasn't there a "What's at the end of the hall? picture a little while back of a Moose holding a Yellow Rose?

Jigged bone posted looks like pine green to me.

Jigged bone posted looks like pine green to me.

Isn't there a Tidioute Jigged and a Northfield Jigged? The Tidioute is obviously some sort of dark green. I figured the Northfield option would be different. I certainly could be wrong though.

Isn't there a Tidioute Jigged and a Northfield Jigged? The Tidioute is obviously some sort of dark green. I figured the Northfield option would be different. I certainly could be wrong though.

Oh, yup. You're right, I forgot about that.

Am I right in thinking that the 81 Bull Moose will not have half stops? The tangs look rounded to me.

Back