#81 Bull Moose Thread

Judging by the pictures GEC has on their site, the Ebony is going to have a lot of color and variance... As much as I appreciate attractive wood grain, this kind of kills the ebony run of these for me. I am very pleased with the inky blackness of my Churchill, but unless I decide to make the gamble and happen to score an attractive variant, I will decidedly pass on the Ebony. The Osage Orange is back under consideration....

Got mine Monday, wow what a quick ship. Fit and finish is great although I did have to flush the main (clip) pivot, very smooth now. The Spear point blade was buttery smooth out of the box. I really like the Micarta covers, matte bolsters, and satin blades and you can see the attention to detail in the finishing. The ergonomics of this knife, especially with the spear blade open, are great. I was surprised that although the frame is smaller than a 53/54 by an 1/8 inch the blades are noticeably larger. With regard to the pull, it is on the lighter side, but the walk and talk are so nice and it closes with a satisfying audible snap. Really liking this one can't wait to carry it tomorrow.

81NMic.JPG

Got mine Monday, wow what a quick ship. Fit and finish is great although I did have to flush the main (clip) pivot, very smooth now. The Spear point blade was buttery smooth out of the box. I really like the Micarta covers, matte bolsters, and satin blades and you can see the attention to detail in the finishing. The ergonomics of this knife, especially with the spear blade open, are great. I was surprised that although the frame is smaller than a 53/54 by an 1/8 inch the blades are noticeably larger. With regard to the pull, it is on the lighter side, but the walk and talk are so nice and it closes with a satisfying audible snap. Really liking this one can't wait to carry it tomorrow.

View attachment 793855
Yeah, I think in photos people are imagining the closed blade will get in the way of your grip, (which they do on my similar Schrade stockman, for instance), but it's not the case here.

To allay another worry for people on the fence: The tips aren't proud of the frame on mine. It'll be a few stone sharpenings before I need to touch the kicks.

With the clip point out, the spine of the closed spear point actually makes a nice grip point when you choke up to use tip. With the spear point out, the clip points spine kind of enhances your grip when your back on the handle. The tips of my blades are fine too, the clip is deep in the frame, the spear point on mine, after taking it to stones once, sit just south of flush.

You guys finally pushed me over the edge. I’m not supposed to buy any newly manufactured carbon steel knives, but I couldn’t help myself. The canvas micarta looked too darned good. The clip blade was perfectly shaped. The reported fit and finish was so high. Best of all, I really prefer a pull of about a 5 on my outdoor knives, with no half stop. This knife was just made for me. Canvas micarta #81 ordered.

Last edited:
Anyone got pics of this and a 77 2 blade. I guess single will do.

Trying to get an idea for size and thickness.

Anyone got pics of this and a 77 2 blade. I guess single will do.

Trying to get an idea for size and thickness.

You'll have to forgive the poorly lit indoor photos, but here you go.

bAPVUSI.jpg

KZovuTp.jpg

EBDfRtp.jpg

6B3Zpxl.jpg

It's not small. That's probably the only slight negative for me; it's a little bigger than I normally carry, and it does not disappear in your pocket.

Does anybody have a pic of an 81 and this year's 54 next to each other? I'm sure it's probably already been done, but I can't find one.

I'm really dialing in on the kind of edge bevel I want on each blade. The clip is twice as steep to take abuse, the spear is half as steep to slice and cut optimally. Dunno what it comes out to in degrees, but the spear is lifted alllmost a spine thickness off the stone, and the clip is about two spine thicknesses off the stone. Some enterprising, curious person can measure those angles.
unPXVhn.jpg

I just love the color of that bone.
AKJpyd5.jpg

My only nitpick is an expected flaw in hand ground blades this long, which is that the spear has an uneveness in the grind right in the middle of the flat. You can see how the bevel narrows on one side and broadens on the other, and the surrounding steel catches the light differently.
ncSkbOq.jpg

Not a big deal, unless you convex sharpen, which was how I first tried to sharpen the knife. The pliant ground deformed in response to the flaw, and that section wouldn't come sharp. A dead-flat diamond stone both solved the issue and revealed the problem.

Got my Osage 81 late yesterday. F&F is what I expect from GEC. Compared to most of my others, I wouldn’t give a higher rating, this is not a bad thing though as mine are all good examples. It is not any smoother as some people’s apparently are, but no issues either. My clip blade favours slightly the inner liner but no contact or rub. Spear dead center but might need the kick filed after a couple sharpenings, we’ll see. Everything is flush with no gaps. Pull is lighter than I typically like, (it is just like my CSC 2015 forum knife but with a touch less snap, but that might change after some use). But the shape of the handle keeps my thumb back far enough to not push on either blade which is usually why I don’t like light springs so it shouldn’t keep me from using it confidently. On to the Osage, I should have got some sooner! Now I will comment that the sides aren’t really matched very well, but are each so nice in their own way that I don’t care! The shield side has some nice dark spots showing off the grain while the other side is lighter but almost looks, hmm how do I describe it, 3D? Like it was very rough but filled in with resin... looks like your finger would catch on it but it’s super smooth. Can’t wait to see how it ages. It is a large knife but so far seems to sit fine in my back pocket. I was pleasantly surprised to see it ship with KSF’s new buffalo slip as it wasn’t on my order, I think I ordered the day before they were on the site? Anyways not sure if I’ll use it but it’s a nice touch and seems to be a nice slip, much more compact than their other ones.

I’m trying to conjure up some cash for an amber jigged bone 81 for myself. GEC is making for a rough holiday season for me!
I'm not getting any of these (at least that's what I keep saying), but if I did, it would absolutely be the Jigged amber bone.

I’m excited. My 81 arrives tomorrow. I also ordered up some of that Seal1 CLP to test.

I’m excited. My 81 arrives tomorrow. I also ordered up some of that Seal1 CLP to test.

I’m interested to see how you like the seal1. Hornaday One Shot CLP pretty much is the pinnacle from my standpoint, but I’m always interested to learn more, especially since Seal1 is non toxic.

Hi Everybody
Can anyone tell me where to reserve/buy the apaloosa bone variant?
I cant find it myself.
With kind regards

Back