#81 Bull Moose Thread

Received my Appaloosa and have to agree with Mike, pulls are about a 5 and should be just about perfect with some oil flushed in the joints. Beautiful very well made knife, was only going to order the one but will get an ebony and a stag also.

IMG_7541.jpg IMG_7542.jpg IMG_7544.jpg IMG_7545.jpg IMG_7547.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good augie, my only issue with these is a want a straight edge and the spear looks overly long. Anyone done or doing a shorter coping/sheepsfoot mod to the spear on this one?

Looks like it would work well on the Northfield version.

Looks good augie, my only issue with these is a want a straight edge and the spear looks overly long. Anyone done or doing a shorter coping/sheepsfoot mod to the spear on this one?

I will be on the Northfield. I think I'm going to order an Ebony when. They hit dealers. The long pull is called for for the mod. You might could get away with it on the Tidioute, but it would need to be an abrupt angle to get a full straight edge.

I plan on modding mine. It arrives friday, according to the tracking. I got the natural canvas tidioute and my thought is to cut off the blade just at the tip end of the nail nick and then clean it up on my grinder. I wish the tidioute had the long pulls. I think they look better and are more functional. I will post pics once my mod is done.

Boy, I have been on the fence with the #81. The claims of light pulls and mediocre snap making me hesitant while the reports of excellent F&F and smoothness making me want to pull the trigger on one. There was also the issue of no one cover material singing to me? Augie's post pushed me a little closer to buying, the stag Gunstock Jack had on his site got me to jump. Stag ordered.

Now, about that Ebony......

Boy, I have been on the fence with the #81. The claims of light pulls and mediocre snap making me hesitant while the reports of excellent F&F and smoothness making me want to pull the trigger on one. There was also the issue of no one cover material singing to me? Augie's post pushed me a little closer to buying, the stag Gunstock Jack had on his site got me to jump. Stag ordered.

Now, about that Ebony......

You took the stag I had been eyeing all afternoon! Thank you for saving me money and anguish.

Wow, can't believe it was there that long? I guess I was closer than I thought on purchasing an #81, took me all of 3 seconds after I saw it......:rolleyes:

Definitely a little more in the pocket than a #35. At least my #81 Abilene is and I would expect the Bull Moose to be very similar.

Just received my #81 in Appaloosa Bone : Did not get it until it was too late for pictures but I will give you my opinions in hopes that I can enable someone to order one . F & F is just fine with no issues . Both springs are flush on Open & Closed . Both blades are centered and sharp . Very nice swedges on both clip & spear . Great finish overall on each blade . Even the edges of both Long Pulls are Not Sharp . No scuffs or scratches on any Bolster . No Gaps seen . Finish of the bone covers is very smooth . Overall coloration of the Appaloosa Bone is darker than what I would have liked but the Appaloosa pattern is pretty evenly distributed . Blade Effort on both blades is probably a Very Smooth 5 . There are No Half/Stops which I personally would rather have . This is just a LARGE 4" very well made knife but since I prefer single bladed knives or a Jack with a small pen , it will take a a lot of getting use to for me carry to this knife as an EDC .

Harry

Last edited:
Received my Appaloosa and have to agree with Mike, pulls are about a 5 and should be just about perfect with some oil flushed in the joints. Beautiful very well made knife, was only going to order the one but will get an ebony and a stag also.

View attachment 798101 View attachment 798102 View attachment 798103 View attachment 798104 View attachment 798105
I just have to comment on what a good looking knife that is Augie . That is the light color that I like and would have liked to have gotten . Great photos too my friend .

Harry

Anyone have a 81 to 35 size comparison?

Definitely a little more in the pocket than a #35. At least my #81 Abilene is and I would expect the Bull Moose to be very similar.

Yes, the #81 Bull Moose is a noticeably bigger/bulkier than a #35. I don't have any comparison shots of those two, but I did post a few photos comparing the #81 to a two-blade #77 a couple pages back if that helps any.

I just have to comment on what a good looking knife that is Augie . That is the light color that I like and would have liked to have gotten . Great photos too my friend .

Harry

Thank you Harry, it was just luck of the draw but I am very happy with what showed up. Appaloosa bone is one of my favorites and I have several Case Barlow's with Appaloosa, hope GEC uses Appaloosa on more knives.

This thread has been a great example of why there are so many traditional knife patterns and blade combinations. Every reason I like this knife so much is a reason someone else doesn't like it at all. Or someone will say "I'd buy it, except..." and then say something they want that would be a total deal breaker for me.

Back