858 "Schrade +"

It looks like all the 858 Lumberjack Stockman knives, all had stainless blades.

It looks like all the 858 Lumberjack Stockman knives, all had stainless blades.
I gotta agree. :( From what I've read, those without "Schrade +" on/in the tang stamp, are in violation of the "Schrade + Rule". :(

Was there a Schrade Walden, or possibly a concurrent to the 1978-1986 run of Old Timer 858/858OT "Lumberjack", an otherwise identical but with 1095 (or other carbon steel, not "Schrade +") blades (and maybe different covers) version/variation by Ulster, Camillus, Imperial, or one of the many other Schrade family of brands?
I'm gonna guess "not". :(

It looks like the stainless steel used for knife blades, has a high carbon content.
Buck and Schrade used stainless blades, and all stainless steel is not the same.
Until a metallurgist tells me "Schrade +" is a special steel used only by Schrade - I am going to say, all 858's have some type of stainless steel blades.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=68743
From what I've "heard"/read, prior to 1997/1998 "Schrade +" was good ol' 440A. From 1998/1999, until the end in 2004, "Schrade +" was Good Ol' 420HC.
I don't know (or care, truth be told. Both hold/held an edge long enough for what I had to do/am doing.) how hard Schrade USA ran their "Schrade +" 440A, and 420HC.

Back