8670 First Run - What David Mary Custom knife are you waiting to see made?

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This thread is first of all for "on the fencers" who maybe like some of what they've seen from me, but haven't yet pulled the trigger because either a certain material, design or style element, or some other feature has not been done yet (or you missed the window if it was already done). I like to expand my "menu" so to speak. Existing customers welcome as well; if there is something extra you'd like to see me offer I'd love to hear it. Especially something that you would jump on if you had the chance, please let me know, and I will look into whether it is something I can squeeze out of my little shop. :)

Or if there is something I have done that you'd like to see more of. With very few exceptions, if there is anything I've done before I would do it again.

Thanks!

I’d definitely like to see something in this Magnacut that everyone is raving about. I’d also like a 3V machete.

MagnaCut is happening. Just waiting for the blanks to come back.

3V, eh? Expensive, and I've heard it's an absolute bear to grind. It'll be one of those things that I won't refuse to do, but I'm going to wait until I am hired for it. But I might just make that Smatchet in AEB-L and see if it sells.

MagnaCut is happening. Just waiting for the blanks to come back.

3V, eh? Expensive, and I've heard it's an absolute bear to grind. It'll be one of those things that I won't refuse to do, but I'm going to wait until I am hired for it. But I might just make that Smatchet in AEB-L and see if it sells.
Let me know when you’ve got some 3V laying around and we’ll make something happen! 👍

I'm hoping that you keep playing around with your own designs!

It takes a keen imagination to combine traditional Filipino technique with historic Scandinavian design, as we get in the Barax (I'm still confident this design in AEB-L will catch on with trailcutters out here in the PNW). I also have been using the aptly named Wharndiculous far more than I thought I would! I bought it because it pulled at my heart strings with it's true uniqueness, but has become the go to knife for work my normal blades cant fit into.

I guess if I had to dream an answer, I would love to see you make larger pieces. You know enough about chopping and edge geometry to produce an amazing single handed Messer or something similar.

Sam, thank you for the exceedingly kind words. And, it just so happens I have something like what you suggested in the works... 😮

I'm excited about these two blades also. Actually I get excited about every knife I make. 😊
Good answer.....

But seriously. I do hope you continue being creative.

I've almost bought a number of Yours.... Unfortunately, as soon as I commission something from you, you sneak out something fun looking shortly after.
And my knife budget is only one at a time....I missed your sale. :(

On my future wishlist......
-more custom work
Edc chef's knife
Trailing Point
Bigger Wharncliffe
Obviously a Seax
Something with your notched/scalloped handle scales. I never thought I'd like them, but some of your recent ones in black/orange really caught my eye.

I'm assuming most of the above will have to be ordered, because I'd want your thicker scales.... :)

Lightweight 2-2.5” blade and 2.5” thin handle
Great white shark blade profile

I thought for a minute you meant the new one you've commissioned, but an even smaller one?

I really like the Spyderco-style knives you've made, as well as the SITREP. What I would like to see is your take on a subhilt fighter design. I'd also be interested in something with a chunky blade and a bit of swedge, though I know that's not really your style.

I think you shared your version of the Street Beat. I recall liking that one, but I’m not a fan of AEB-L (if that was the offering). Sooo…perhaps a Magnacut Street Beat?

This is a design that I only do by private commission. I've never made one for the Maker's Market, and I never will. Explanation: After I did the first one and then got asked to do more, I reached out to M. Perrin. I let him know I had been asked do some of them and asked his opinion. He was understanding of the fact that I was asked to make the design, but in order not to step on his toes, I won't make this design, unless I am commissioned to do so. If I do make it, I make sure to change something on the design so it's not a straight copy. And when done, I won't parade it around the forums like I did for the first few I did, but just send it quietly to its owner.

You will. There is one in the current batch I'm waiting for, though it is already spoken for.

Back