8670 First Run - What David Mary Custom knife are you waiting to see made?

I'd like to see a David Mary tomahawk myself... I think you could knock the socks off of an ulu as well.

Silly Willie, ulus don't wear socks! ;)

Can a tomahawk be done with flat stock? I always assumed you needed to forge where the shaft seats into the hawk head.

I'm not entirely sure what it might entail, it's just something that I find intriguing...

My friend Andy Pomorski forge heat treated all my 15N20, including 4 ultra-light Barax machetes, and a Golok. He heat treated all my 1084 seax machetes and Barax machetes. He is avowedly not a bladesmith; I gave him instructions based conversations with established makers whose experience I trust. I was highly impressed with what I got. Both steels took extreme geometries, and both held the shape well even with hard use. The toughness of 1084 impressed me so much that over the course of a few runs, I tried lower tempering temps over a few orders, to try and boost retention from what was seemed to be thought as a negligible loss in toughness. The machetes seemed to hold up well. On the 15N20 we did a large batch of over sixty blades. In the next batch of 15N20, whenever that will be, I'll also review the instructions I gave him for it and see if we can try to boost retention on these as well with more hardness. I'm planning to go to him again for this 8670.

I'm going to have to sketch these out in paper, and glue 'em on, then perform surgery with a shotgun.

Hmmm.. actually, the angle grinder and shotgun analogy works on a bunch of levels. đź’ˇ Adaptability being the chuck-key to my heart.

Anyway...

This run would not have been possible without the generous support of my valued customers. I appreciate you all, and this run for you to have fun with. No deposits, unless your design is so wacky only you would buy it, but good faith requests for most kinds of designs. Meaning you show me a design you have in mind that will fit on there, and if you fully intend to grab it if it's made, we'll work together on it in PM or email, and once you like it, and the cost is fitting, then your good faith statement that you intend to buy the knife when is all that it takes to get it made. Once you say "okay, make this one for me" you have right of first refusal. Meaning nobody's on a hook, but when the knife is done, you get a chance take it or refuse it before anyone else's has a chance.

Design possibilities have to be able to fit on one of those sheets. They're 2" x 12", 2 x 23" and ~5.6" x 23", but within this we've got machetes, and hawks, and fighters, oh my. Even a chef already, so that's one of those 2 x 12s already off the table. ;) I'm very excited about the possibilities here.

I expect the ulu is going to be one of the heaviest and most expensive working ulus out there.

8670 steel received (3).JPG
8670 steel received (1).JPG
8670 steel received (2).JPG

I have a couple other designs hinted at by some guys that I just have to touch base with them on, so there may already be even less of this available than it seems....

Gonna have to have everything figured out soon, my deadline to get these to Andy is going to be next Friday. Which means before then I have know each design I am making, cut it, and drill it

After a talk with Andy, separate guards and pommels will be for another time. I don't want to add those costs to knives in this run.

One of the exciting things about working with Andy is differential hardening, which I'll be requesting on most, if not all of these.

Back