8670 First Run - What David Mary Custom knife are you waiting to see made?

I feel as if I was born old...
Perhaps I should have asked him to add some fullers...
Nah: it'll be fine!
Haven’t seen a fuller from David yet but now that it’s a possibility, see David you just got some more skills added to your set of already impressive ones.😇

Anyone know where this little fella belongs?

applause.gif

A hand and a half bowie!?!?!?!?!?
Well done Sir!

Many moons ago I had a custom knife maker make me a knife in this design but he had some issues and backed out. Sorry for the crude quick drawing. It was 5/16” thick steel and 12” long and originally almost 3” blade height. It was designed as a knife to abuse with micarta coffin scales and a fuller. Some of the main design functions were to use it to throw, smash batton and pry and look cool with its coffin handle.
FDBCCDF7-15-F7-485-B-97-A4-AA97-E3-E9-F845.jpg

Well now that you've said it, I will definitely be looking into it.
Many moons ago I submitted a design to Tops and they made prototypes of a flat stock tactical hawk but they said it was too heavy at the time. I should have just resubmit the design with some mods. Let me know if you might be interested in the design.

applause.gif

A hand and a half bowie!?!?!?!?!?
Well done Sir!

Hahaha, I guess that's what it is, isn't it!

Thank you very much for the kind words. It was in fact one of the most ambitious projects I have attempted to date, up there with my "arming" sword last year, and a huge seax blank I did recently.

Many moons ago I had a custom knife maker make me a knife in this design but he had some issues and backed out. Sorry for the crude quick drawing. It was 5/16” thick steel and 12” long and originally almost 3” blade height. It was designed as a knife to abuse with micarta coffin scales and a fuller. Some of the main design functions were to use it to throw, smash batton and pry and look cool with its coffin handle.
FDBCCDF7-15-F7-485-B-97-A4-AA97-E3-E9-F845.jpg

Many moons ago I submitted a design to Tops and they made prototypes of a flat stock tactical hawk but they said it was too heavy at the time. I should have just resubmit the design with some mods. Let me know if you might be interested in the design.

I don't have thick stock in the shop at the moment, but I would be happy to tackle a project like this a little bit down the road once I clear some orders and get in more steel. You are welcome to shoot me an email so we can discuss the details.

My friend, I agree. However, first I need to get beyond paycheck to paycheck lol. It has been a bit rocky and tenuous, but I finally climbed out of most of the debt I incurred after being laid off last year (a good friend of mine lent me some interest free money last year which I put right into AEB-L blanks and LC200N, and which I paid back a few months early, plus gave him and his wife a couple knives as a thank you).

Thank you Bob, I am very grateful for being blessed to get this far.

I took my 8670 Camp knife out for the first time today.
I wasn't sure how to compare it?
Originally I was thinking a Becker Bk9 would be good, but I trimmed mine into a seax version by removing it's clip..... I thought it would be cheating?

So I tested a Becker BK21 slightly tweaked.
A SP-53
And my David Mary 8670 Straightback Camp Knife

I still need to weigh them, If anybody cares? Idk
And if you look, it wasn't really fair...... The BK21 was considerably longer.
And the SP-53 was longer, and Way thicker.....it's a Beast.
Their sweet spot was far more advantageous compared to the DM Camp Knife.

With 20 strikes each, the David Mary held it's own. It was respectable. Not quite the same, but Close.

I'll have to try to find a closer representative.

All and all I was impressed. It's edge held perfectly with an afternoon of chopping, carving, and Battoning.
I'm happy.

I had some time for extra curricular projects. So I started on this. It is 5/32" 8670. The handle is 7" and the blade is 16". The plan was to make something with a more nimble point than anything I had done before at this size.

IMG_3527.JPG

Ohhh buddy! Nice! Thank you.
Murphjd25 Murphjd25
Idk what you want it specifically for....?
But David can cater to your needs for what you want.
*More info and pics in This posting of 8670

I wanted mine to be kinda blade heavy for chopping, and battoning.
At the time, it was a new steel that I wasn't familiar with, so I wanted something to Really Beat on...... Yet it's super sharp, and cuts very nice too, for having such a thick blade.

I added some silicone tape to it's butt. It's not as Pretty, but I like the registration and how it feels there.

I could use This knife as a one knife option, if I wanted to.
It covers all the bases. The more I use it the more I like it.

Here it's compared to some familiar blades.

Last edited:
Murphjd25 Murphjd25
Idk what you want it specifically for....?
But David can cater to your needs for what you want.
*More info and pics in This posting of 8670

I wanted mine to be kinda blade heavy for chopping, and battoning.
At the time, it was a new steel that I wasn't familiar with, so I wanted something to Really Beat on...... Yet it's super sharp, and cuts very nice too, for having such a thick blade.

I added some silicone tape to it's butt. It's not as Pretty, but I like the registration and how it feels there.

I could use This knife as a one knife option, if I wanted to.
It covers all the bases. The more I use it the more I like it.

Here it's compared to some familiar blades.
Thanks Crag, I will do some reading. I just want a basic larger field knife, one I can make feather sticks with, or baton and chop. I have a CPK 10” Light Chopper, and my next smallest knife is about 5.5”, so I want something kind of right in between for everyday camp sort of duties.

Back