8670, Second Run, .126" and .084"

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have some more 8670 on order from AKS, in 1/8" or .126" thickness, and .084" or just under 3/32" thickness. I can make one of my own designs, or something new for you. 8670 is everything I had hope for in toughness even with thin geometry, so I think it will make great kitchen, outdoor, tactical and work knives. Feel free to reach with your ideas, and as long as you fully intend to grab it when it's made, I will mark it down and get it done when it's number comes up. Right of first refusal on these, and no deposits required.

What steel would it be most comparable to ? And would it be well suited to bushcraft?

Hi Corey! 8670 is similar to 5160, and does well in roles where you might desire toughness or something that can be ground thin, but where corrosion resistance is not a strict requirement. It does better than a lot of carbon steels in this regard, though. At this time the only material I have left is a sheet of .084, but I could certainly make a thin bushcraft knife with it.

Hi Corey! 8670 is similar to 5160, and does well in roles where you might desire toughness or something that can be ground thin, but where corrosion resistance is not a strict requirement. It does better than a lot of carbon steels in this regard, though. At this time the only material I have left is a sheet of .084, but I could certainly make a thin bushcraft knife with it.
Ok great I was looking for a medium sized carver/feather sticker, I was wondering tho how thick the sheet is in mm? I don’t know the conversion

2.1336 mm. I'll email you back and we can figure out the details. By the way, thanks again for your email regarding the seax I made you last year, it's great to hear it's serving you well!

Email sent, and you are most welcome.

Geustimating........ Before or after Xmas?

For this run? Well, Andy has a bunch of my blades yet to do, so I am going with after. However, Corey and I figured out that I have another blank here already hardened that will work for him, which is 1/8", which I will get to once I work through pending orders.

What steel would it be most comparable to ? And would it be well suited to bushcraft?
Corey, I just took my 8670 DM Camp knife out for it's maiden voyage today....
I'll post some pics later in the thicker link.....after Trick or Treating.

Let me tell you it's Tough!
People who know me know I'm Hard on knives. I didn't hold anything back.

Lots of chopping, and Battoning hard woods.
Lots of dirty logs.

I was surprised how nice the knife looked afterwards.
Once I cleaned the nature off it with some barkeeper's friend, it looked new again...no dings or chips.
Interesting patina color from the hot water.
This is my first 8670 knife, and it won't be my last.

N
Corey, I just took my 8670 DM Camp knife out for it's maiden voyage today....
I'll post some pics later in the thicker link.....after Trick or Treating.

Let me tell you it's Tough!
People who know me know I'm Hard on knives. I didn't hold anything back.

Lots of chopping, and Battoning hard woods.
Lots of dirty logs.

I was surprised how nice the knife looked afterwards.
Once I cleaned the nature off it with some barkeeper's friend, it looked new again...no dings or chips.
Interesting patina color from the hot water.
This is my first 8670 knife, and it won't be my last.
yeah man, I own a DM seax in aebl and I was wondering how it compared , I’m looking at getting a camp knife from him too in 8670 so I looked up a few vids and it is up to the hype now confirmed by u, I saw an absolute psychopath using it chop whitetail deer antler which if u didn’t know is really hard, nearly as much as bone and can easily wreck knives but the one in 8670 came out with no scratches, now I have corroborating stories I have no choice but to get a knife in 8670. I’m looking forward to it and ty for taking the time to respond

Don't forget to post your seax....haha.

I have a AEB-L from David too, but my blade is only seven inches on it.
I'd like a big chopper from him some day

Thanks guys, I try to make a cute knife. 🐶

8670 is often compared to L6 but is also really close to 15n20. David is right that it acts similar to 5160 in use except I think it takes an edge better so it works well for thin edges like kitchen knives, which 5160 doesn't fare so well with. 5160 is more brute force oriented, so to speak.

It's a great bushcraft steel if you don't care for the reduced edge retention over some of the more modern options, like CPM Cruwear or CPM 3V, and it has been getting a lot of attention on the bushcraft forum, along with AEB-L (and steels that are similar like Nitro-V) for those that want stainless. One thing that people like about steels like 8670 is that it's really easy to maintain and get that sharp edge with simple stropping. It's a great user steel (so is AEB-L) with the acceptable edge retention, good toughness, and great edge stability (<why the edges are harder to damage with rough use).

David is making me a "Kephart-inspired" knife in 8670 as a gift for a friend, as an anecdotal show of my faith in the steel for bushcraft use. We're running it with a high saber grind, with the wonderful David convex, which I think is the best balance of durability and rigidity (don't like blade flex when working wood) while remaining slicey for food prep or hunting. But blade grind can be highly preferential, I just like throwing my opinion out there.

Back