9" Samson-inspired Weehawk Tanto in laminated steel *COOP SHOT ADDED*

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
As I've mentioned in previous posts, the work of Jody Samson was a very early influence, for me. When I was a teen, I pined for one of the 5" balisong that you could custom order from Pacific Cutlery with the outrageous 'weehawk tanto' grind. My buddy Dawkind Dawkind was gracious enough to provide me with an example photo:

2019052016571594-IMG_8317-XL.jpg

On a recent visit to Niagara Specialty Metals nsm nsm I picked up a sheet of an extremely rare material that Crucible made, and thought for sure it would be a great candidate for a build based on Jody's grind, with my own personal touches to hopefully complement it.

This blade is just over 9 inches long, and is made of a laminate that consists of a CPM-S90v core (extremely high wear resistant stainless steel), and a CPM-154 jacket (improved toughness over the core, but with far less wear resistance). It is NOT a forge-welded product. This is produced in exactly the same fashion particle metal steels are, utilizing the Hot Isostatic Press method. You can read a brief rundown of the PM process, as per Crucible's website here.

Where this piece of steel differs is that it's comprised of two alloys, and they achieved this by making a billet of CPM-S90v, grinding it clean and placing it into the center of a HIP canister, and filling the sides with CPM154 powder and running it through the HIP process, producing a billet with absolutely no welds, and therefore no points of failure. I believe this particular combination was the brainchild of Ed Schempp.

2019052012384937-IMG_4131-X2.jpg

2019052012384937-IMG_4130-X2.jpg

2019052012384937-IMG_4128-X2.jpg

2019052012384937-IMG_4129-X2.jpg

Please forgive the horrible phone photos - I was in a race against time to get this in the mail to a REAL photographer before Blade Show, so hopefully I'll be able to report back here with an improved image. :)

A small scalloped seppa of black G10 is mounted in front of a matched titanium guard. The handle is just over 6 inches long, and consists of a core made of Terotuf, sleeved in hand-laid carbon fiber, and finished with carbon fiber tsukaito. A matched pair of sterling silver 'Hannya' demon menuki complete the package. All of the edges on the knife are razor sharp.

The photos are deceptive - this is a MASSIVE blade, and feels so in-hand. Overall length is just over 16 inches, and weighs in at 17-7/8 ounces.

Thanks for looking!

This knife is great in so many of the details- the profile, the clean grinds, the neat materials, the clean straight hamon-like line exposing the steel layers, the guard, handle shape and wrap, the menuki. So much to like here! Mike

I’m sure Jody would approve and wouldn’t have minded to have had some of that steel to use.... ;)

A superlative build my friend, about as good as it gets. :cool:

Very cool piece buddy, it all works together very well. Can't wait to see the fancy pics!

Back