9 Volt etching discovery!

zombieassassin

Platinum Member
Resized_20181203_190800_989.jpg Ok fellow Hogs, Dogs and Rats. I discovered something on my own with 9v etching. After several blades the thought came to mind to reverse the poles after an etch to see if the black "carbon mud" would actually adhere to the blade to achieve a "blackout" looking etch. And by golly....I think I did pretty well for a guessing attempt. Thought I'd share guys. Not sure if this is a new discovery in general....but it's new for me and was really easy. Just etched it...left a little black mud on the last run...reversed poles...then ran over it as usual a few times til I felt comfortable with it....super happy with this B8 etch and strip. Rock on Hogs and stay groovy.

Last edited:
Look's good, nice job.

So reversed pole's, is similar to DCRP? As in DC welding, Rod Positive?

ZA:
Very cool, how about a lesson on how you did it please? would love to know how you got the type face.

Yes...exactly oge. I use the coating as a stencil, using wire and alligator clips, attach + 9v side to blade and - 9v side to a Q-tip saturated in salt water and rub it across the logo.
Electricity flows positive to negative...so as a result it pulls metal out of the blade inside the logo...it stays put under the coating due to its non-conductive properties.
Then after I achieved the depth desired, I reversed the poles on the 9v battery and allowed some of the carbon to bond back in a way to show the black logo. Turned out better than I had thought it would.

Last edited:
Wow that looks great !!!!!!!

Congrats !!!!

Damn! That's freaking awsome! Knowing what your line of work is, it's obvious you know your stuff!!

Hit me up this week and walk me through it dogg.

Great job!!

Btw....... I'm off tomorrow!

That is very cool ZA! Looks amazing and Ill definitely be trying that on my next etch and strip! Thanks for sharing your groovy discovery and pics!!!! :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

I tried the 9V etching on my last SR-101 strip, and failed miserably. I tried over and over for about 30 minutes. After the strip, I found the logo practically disappeared after the first sanding. I’m wondering if I reversed the poles at the start.

That's exactly what happened dogboye. I've done the same before. It's an easy mistake using a 9v battery. The small side is +, fools me alot too.

Looks really nice! Congrats and thanks for sharing!
I ve been allways curious about the "gremlins"... If I would strip my knife and found such grinding lines under the coating, it would definitely pissed me off...
Though, someday, I will maybe try to strip my NMFBM from the original run.

Very cool!

"Electricity flows from positive to negative"....actually, it does not. The electrons are what move in the wire, they go from negative to positive...

Thanks for sharing! I’ve had good results with the electro etch. This is something else to try.:thumbsup:

Back