940 or rift?

iam trying to make up my mind between the 940 and the rift.which one feels better in the hand? which one is the better slicer?'

I've had both, been a while though. I always liked the way the Rift felt in my hand and the blade is a good slicer. To me the G-10 on the Rift has a better feel than the aluminum of the 940 series. Both are good knives and I think you would not go wrong either way.

I'll go with cutter17's answer. I've had both, but I kept the Rift. I'm not fond of aluminium (or any metal) for knife handles and the 940 I had was too slim for my taste. Might carry nicely but it didn't "hold" well for me in actual use. The Rift fits my hands nicely and still has the 940's basic blade shape, just beefed up quite a bit.

My 154CM Rifts are both as sharp as any other folder I have. They slice as well as my PM2s do. My M390 Barrages and my Gayle Bradley are probably the best slicers I have, but the Rifts are close.

I vote 940, its super slim and blends in with your pocket. Great sized blade in a small package. The rift is only
.25" or so bigger in blade length and a lot more pocket space with that. Both are excellent tho.

iam trying to make up my mind between the 940 and the rift.which one feels better in the hand? which one is the better slicer?'

The 940 is a really really "small" knife. The length and thickness are fine, but the width of the blade and handle (from front to back) is very small. It's the least ergonomic Benchmade I've ever handled. On the other hand, that shape makes it feel like a somewhat thick pen when you stick it in your pocket. I carry mine when I'm going somewhere that requires a really low profile blade. The aluminum handle, just IMO, is completely undesirable. It feels like holding on to chalk.

I'd say that I def am a fan of both but d lean toward the 950. I've got bigger hands though. I've got about three of each so if anyone needs one holla @ khasbrook1985@gmail.com.

I like the stripy G10 on the Rift. I don't have either but the Ganzo G710 is pretty damn close to a Rift and I enjoy that so I'm sure the "real deal" is even better. Since its a fairly expensive purchase, the wear that the aluminium handles will get on the 940 vs the Rifts G10 is worth taking into consideration as well.

I had both but got rid of the Rift. Reason being, the handle seemed to swoop down at the very front and it put my pinky finger right on the point at the back of the handle instead of beyond it. Also they have the same length cutting edge and blade but the 940 has a "less tall" profile from cutting edge to spine as well as an S30V blade. I vote for the 940. Just because it has aluminum handles doesn't mean it is "light duty". Those knives are plenty strong. If you break a 940 you need a fixed blade.

Length is close to the same, but the Rift is wider and thicker. I'd go 940 because you get aslmost the same cutting edge in a much more pocketable package.

Had both, kept the Rift, G-10 vs the metal handle is what drove the decision. The 940 is a much more slim in the pocket package though and I did like that and it's a lot of blade for the folded size. I was pumped for the 940-1, but not if it has the same very smooth CF handles it had at the shot show, slippery knife handles make dangerous knives.

I carried a SOG Vulcan full size for years. When I lost it I decided to get an upgrade. My research started me spiraling down the dark path of Knife Knuttitude. When I came up for air I had narrowed it down to the 940 and the Rift. I decided on the 940. Size was the main factor. The Rift was beefier and more badass looking. The 940 had the same length and style of blade but slimmed down. I have since bought a Dragonfly2 and my 940 feels almost the same in pocket as that. I have Zero regrets about my choice. All that being said I still will probably be getting a Rift within the next year or two. I thought I would just be buying the one knife and that was it.... What a fool.

I like the design of the 940 however for me the handle is too small. Not too short, just too small in general. I used to own both and the Rift felt better in my hand when I really wanted to take a strong grip on it. I keep my folding knife in a separate side pocket so the size is never really an issue. I used to carry an Adamas. :)

I really like them both, but I ended up buying the Rift over the 940 because I really like the layered/milled G10 handles. The stripes just look really cool to me. I am also very anal about keeping my knives in pristine condition, and that's a lot easier to do with G10 than anodized aluminum.

Just because it has aluminum handles doesn't mean it is "light duty". Those knives are plenty strong. If you break a 940 you need a fixed blade.

True that. I can't remember the fellow's name, but on the orginal Benchmade forum (they switched to new software around 2004-2006) there was a guy there who did nearly everything a person could ask of a folder with his 940 and it always worked. That upside down tanto point turned his frown upside down.

I thought I would just be buying the one knife and that was it....

Whenever anyone publicly announces he or she has bought one final knife and isn't heading off to jail or the gallows, wait about a week or two for that same person's show and tell thread for an even newer knife.

For the original poster:

It's very, very difficult to go wrong with a knife designed by Warren Osborne. Get both if you have to. If you like one more than the other, beat on the lesser liked one until your opinion changes.

If you're going to carry it a lot, and use it little, get the 940.
If you're going to carry it a little, and use it a lot, get the RIFT.

Hope that makes sense....

I bought both and kept both. The Rift is the right pocket carry, 910 is in the left pocket. I will say my 910 has a bit of side to side blade play. Off center - touches the liner. I've played with the pivot but can't quite get it right. I plan on sending it to BM. Both are great knives.

Back