A-2 Trail Master

"Wasn't AUS10 as far as I know. It was either AUS6 or AUS8...both were called out in the catalogs that included them. But AUS6 was called out more often, so that is probably what it was, and the AUS8 was a typo. Can check it out in post #2 of the TM History"

I never saw one in person so I won't stand and die on this as a fact. There was an Aus10 model advertised and the asking price was for my standards then pretty costly in comparison to the Carbon V versions. Was it a misprint, is my mind playing tricks on me? I honestly am not sure now and the one fact I will stand on is my memory is far from perfect.

Is there any website that has all the old catalogs where they can be looked through? I'd love to do the research on this.

Joe

"Wasn't AUS10 as far as I know. It was either AUS6 or AUS8...both were called out in the catalogs that included them. But AUS6 was called out more often, so that is probably what it was, and the AUS8 was a typo. Can check it out in post #2 of the TM History"

I never saw one in person so I won't stand and die on this as a fact. There was an Aus10 model advertised and the asking price was for my standards then pretty costly in comparison to the Carbon V versions. Was it a misprint, is my mind playing tricks on me? I honestly am not sure now and the one fact I will stand on is my memory is far from perfect.

Is there any website that has all the old catalogs where they can be looked through? I'd love to do the research on this.

Joe

The Cold Steel website has most of the old catalogs archived, but there are some gaps. I have not seen any AUS10 Trail Masters in the catalogs (or on ebay), but they certainly could have done a special run. I have one of a 40 piece run of AUS10 Tantos that they did many years ago, along with the Xmas flyer that the previous owner bought it from. So anything is possible.

"We have never made them in AUS10, not sure where this is coming from."

A real or imagined memory of a closeout of a few knives in a special projects catalog. It wasn't a full run of them and they were expensive. This would have been around the time the tri fold knife was made in Aus 10 but seeing as I'm the only one that remembers them ( Trail masters not those Tri fold knives in Aus 10) and I can't even correctly identify what decade this was I'm leaning towards a mistake on my part. If they existed it seems like some one else would have recall of them so if I was a betting man....

Right, only on those limited Tanto's that you got one of. Never on the Trail Master (what I referred to as "them" above).

"AUS10 has never been used in the past. It is a new steel, we just started using it for 2019."

"Right, only on those limited Tanto's that you got one of. Never on the Trail Master (what I referred to as "them" above)."

Those folding handle knives were using Aus 10 back in the 80's IIRC. Aluminium handles with an almost butterfly like movement . I can not recall the name of them. (* Edit: I looked them up in an old catalog. They were called "triple action and are in a catalog from 2001) They were not real popular then or now. I believe I still have mine put away in a box somewhere.

Aus 10 isn't a new steel by any means. Jungleee was another manufacturer using it IIRC in the early 2000's. I still think CS made some test Trail Masters in Aus10 and then used Special Projects catalog to sell the few remaining.

Last edited:
"AUS10 has never been used in the past. It is a new steel, we just started using it for 2019."

"Right, only on those limited Tanto's that you got one of. Never on the Trail Master (what I referred to as "them" above)."

Those folding handle knives were using Aus 10 back in the 80's IIRC. Aluminium handles with an almost butterfly like movement . I can not recall the name of them. They were not real popular then or now. I believe I still have mine put away in a box somewhere.

Aus 10 isn't a new steel by any means. Jungleee was another manufacturer using it IIRC in the early 2000's. I still think CS made some test Trail Masters in Aus10 and then used Special Projects catalog to sell the few remaining.

Yes, the Triple Action folders used AUS 10A back in the early 2000's

Any update? It seems fairly obvious at this point that the A2 thing isn't going to happen. Have you guys considered going back to O1 or Sk5 or something else?

I want a Trailmaster and one of the Kukris.

I noticed that Cold Steel no longer has any Trailmasters, Recon Scouts, Kukris of any variety, high end SRKs, and undoubtedly others. These classic knives, along with the Tantos, are what I picture when I think Cold Steel.

The promised A2 versions are now going on two years late, with no update and a deceptive website entry suggesting that they are just out of stock, rather never existing at all. So how about an actual update with an actual date or year? If you don't know, tell Lynn to hang up his spear and pick up the telephone to his manufacturer.

On the website move the discontinued items to a discontinued section. If you don't sell these awesome weapons any longer stop pretending you do. You want to be the Harbor Freight of the knife world then own it proudly.

Love you guys. I bought two of your knives last week just to try and support you. But seriously, it's like you have completely lost the plot.

The knife at the top of my most wanted list right now is a Trail Master. To me it is one of the knives that defined Cold Steel. Surely there must be more demand for this than just about any sword or odd little folder that seems so prevalent lately. I have recently bought an AD-10, Maxx Scout, SR1 and Code4 as well as finding a mint Mini Recon in XHP. At least give a rough date or a denial.

The knife at the top of my most wanted list right now is a Trail Master. To me it is one of the knives that defined Cold Steel. Surely there must be more demand for this than just about any sword or odd little folder that seems so prevalent lately. I have recently bought an AD-10, Maxx Scout, SR1 and Code4 as well as finding a mint Mini Recon in XHP. At least give a rough date or a denial.

When I think Cold Steel, I picture their Tantos, their Kukris, and the Trailmaster. To me these are the iconic knives that define the brand. I am disappointed that they apparently no longer make two of those three.

Cold Steel sure seems to have messed in the bed on recent production, and appears to have ceased manufacture of Trailmasters and Recon Scouts.. Lynn Thompson must be out of his mind, or so rich he no longer gives a dang about his loyal (not to mention new) customers. Never mind the fact that I own enuff CS knives to last the rest of my life! Can't even locate a drop-forged "Survivalist"... I for one would like some straight-up truth about what's happened at CS to cause this...

Cold Steel sure seems to have messed in the bed on recent production, and appears to have ceased manufacture of Trailmasters and Recon Scouts.. Lynn Thompson must be out of his mind, or so rich he no longer gives a dang about his loyal (not to mention new) customers. Never mind the fact that I own enuff CS knives to last the rest of my life! Can't even locate a drop-forged "Survivalist"... I for one would like some straight-up truth about what's happened at CS to cause this...

You know they're located in Ventura California and have been shut down for months due to the Covi-rona, right? You know they're now shut down from 7/1 to 7/13 for physical inventory, right? Maybe a big https://www.coldsteel.com/summer-sale/ will make you feel better.

Back